What Are You Reading 2020

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by Gerry » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Having had issues which curtailed much of my reading these past years saw me needing to be selective, I for most part went with non fiction and not much in the way of suspense novels. Admittedly not as familiar with thrillers I was surprised some of the reviewers suggested ‘The Couple Next Door’ being unrealistic, over the years of reading true life accounts one soon finds that truth can be far stranger than fiction.

Possibly the low ratings for some was the ending which to me suggested a sequel. I did note one reviewer felt it was like a chapter of her book was missing. As for a sequel one can always hope. Having just put a hold on another best seller of Shari Lapena 'Someone We Know' I was surprised to find my copy arrive within days and now waiting to be read.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:39 pm

ellie wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:18 am
"Cilka's Journey" should be coming off holds soon, but in the meantime I am going to read "Stay" by Catherine Ryan Hyde -- it sounds interesting -- a boy and dogs plus friendship all rolled into a great story.
I finished "Stay" -- this is a book I would recommend everyone to read -- it is a "pay it forward" type of book and takes place during the Vietnam War era -- a heart warming book.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Ellie, I have seen mention of 'Cilka's Journey' on another site which has me looking forward to your review.

My weekend read was ‘Someone We Know’ having read my fair share of books in regard to true crime I found Shari Lapena’s crime scene in the prologue far too descriptive and more than I wanted to know, had me almost set the book aside. It was a slow starter for me but after a few chapters it kept me reading. To my surprise there were times the wording seemed forced and didn’t flow and then be just fine. As one reviewer said “suspenseful, you’ll never see the end coming” So yes to a good plot, it kept me guessing and this one does have an ending. Well almost, it seems to beg for a sequel as well.

For those who do read this book or have read it please please tell me what you think about that phone that was so carefully buried in the garden!
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Gerry wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:47 pm
Ellie, I have seen mention of 'Cilka's Journey' on another site which has me looking forward to your review.

My weekend read was ‘Someone We Know’ having read my fair share of books in regard to true crime I found Shari Lapena’s crime scene in the prologue far too descriptive and more than I wanted to know, had me almost set the book aside. It was a slow starter for me but after a few chapters it kept me reading. To my surprise there were times the wording seemed forced and didn’t flow and then be just fine. As one reviewer said “suspenseful, you’ll never see the end coming” So yes to a good plot, it kept me guessing and this one does have an ending. Well almost, it seems to beg for a sequel as well.

For those who do read this book or have read it please please tell me what you think about that phone that was so carefully buried in the garden!
What are you reading?
Cilka's Journey is called book 2 of the book you are reading -- Tattooist Of Auschwitz -- it is pretty good with some back and forth (present to past) -- and what happens after the people (Cilka) were discharged from the labor camps -- if they were questionable as being friendly or whatever with the German guards -- in Cilka's case she was called a prositute for one of the officers -- Cilka says she did what she had to do to stay alive -- but this was considered consorting with the enemy. I have not read any books on this particular aspect of the war and the people who were not let free after the war -- thought provoking.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Reading time has been somewhat limited, I have finished reading 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz' which had me head over to my e library and put a hold on 'Cilka's Journey' it sees me 95 on 14 copies. Will be awhile.

Meanwhile back to 'The Women of Troublesome Creek' and 'Sleeping With The Enemy' by Nancy Price that is only available in book form. My library copy arrived yesterday just as our libraries have closed. I also have a copy ordered online hoping for a easier read but guessing the pages will be a yellow as this one. Will need to use a magnifier. It was a recommend, expecting it to be a good read.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:19 am

Gerry wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:28 pm
Reading time has been somewhat limited, I have finished reading 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz' which had me head over to my e library and put a hold on 'Cilka's Journey' it sees me 95 on 14 copies. Will be awhile.

Meanwhile back to 'The Women of Troublesome Creek' and 'Sleeping With The Enemy' by Nancy Price that is only available in book form. My library copy arrived yesterday just as our libraries have closed. I also have a copy ordered online hoping for a easier read but guessing the pages will be a yellow as this one. Will need to use a magnifier. It was a recommend, expecting it to be a good read.
What are you reading?
Started a strange but charming book last night: "Little" by Edward Carey which is told in first person by Little or Marie as she is called. Marie is orphaned and lives with a wax sculptor who is a bit strange and tells the story of her life.

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm reading "Cold is the Caller" by Emmy Ellis.
This is a police procedure trying to catch a serial killer. I must admit the depiction of the killings is really gruesome but the writing it self is engaging and hard to put down, the book right up front tells you who the killer is and why he is doing what he does. It's a great read so far as long as you have a strong stomach. :shock:

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:47 pm

Tink, I do know what you mean by 'depiction of the killings is really gruesome' as I recently read one that I about set aside for just that reason, it too turned out to be a good read.

Having enjoyed a number of the books reviewed by fellow members I am now reading ‘Forgiveness: A Gift From My Grandparents’ by Canadian author Mark Sakamoto, looking forward to relax time later today to read the rest of the story.

‘When the Second World War broke out, Ralph MacLean chose to escape his troubled life on the Magdalen Islands in eastern Canada and volunteer to serve his country overseas. Meanwhile, in Vancouver, Mitsue Sakamoto saw her family and her stable community torn apart after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. A generation later, at a high school dance, Ralph's daughter and Mitsue's son fell in love. Without this forgiveness, their grandson Mark Sakamoto would never have come to be.'

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:40 pm

2020 so unlike any year we have known, for me day 37 of self isolation. Never in all these years did I think to not having my door open to my family and friends or not shopping for my own groceries. On the plus side we are fortunate to be able to video call or phone, go to our online sites and for many of us our online e libraries. I am also thankful for my fur babies, my plant stands filled with greenery and the wall to wall plant saves under lights in my garage.

I suspect life will never be as we knew it. Yes these are very difficult days, days when the news coming in overwhelms, it is then we need some time away. For me that is spending time with my fur babies, work among my indoor plantings, cook and of course read. Admittedly there are still days that seem unreal but it does help ease the worry and concern, at least for awhile. This morning I am about to have an extra cup of coffee and come back to share some of my reads. Take care and stay safe.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Strange days indeed. We were sort of prepared.