What Are You Reading 2020

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by Gerry » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Read a couple chapters of The Lonely Heart Attack Club on the weekend, it was not what I expected it to be, decided to give another chapter a go before setting it aside. Pity because our internet was down from mid afternoon til this morning and found this just was not the book for me. Internet down I couldn't download a new book. Hearing there may be more repairing in store I downloaded Mary Tump's book earlier this morning, read a chapter and agree with Ellie as to her writting style! Looking forward to an evening read or sooner if it gets any colder out there!

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:33 pm

I decided the same on the Kennedy book (House of Kennedy)by James Patterson. I usually like James Patterson but not this book. He is so much better at fiction!

Next up is The Jane Austin Society by Natalie Jenner -- this has some good reviews and sounds like it will be a good read. Back to James Patterson with First Case -- a bit different from his usual but a lot better than the non-fiction -- another FBI/crime type of book.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:35 am

Our fall here saw to early frosts, days of cold rain, sleet and snow which thankfully has melted. Not fond of cold I am seeing to more indoor time and ... reading hours.

Read 'Too Much Never Enough' by Mary Trump. She holds a degree in Advanced Psychological Studies and in my opinion an accomplished author. I followed up with 'Melania And Me' by Stephanie Wolkoff who I felt for most part was kind but honest in her writtings in regards to Melania.

That had me wanting to read something light hearted when along came a library hold from months and months back 'Breaking Free: How I Escaped Polyamy, the FLD Cult, and My Father Warren Jeffs by Rachel Jeff's. Another horrific insight into a cult. Her father claimed he was a prophet but basically he used this to control his family and followers.

I am looking forward to reading 'Sunlight Through Dusty Windows' by Dorcus Smucker, mother of six and wife of a Mennonite minister.

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:24 pm

I tried to get Melania and me for the kindle but wasn't able to. I still have some more political books on hold on the on-line library system but won't see them until after the election. Back to mysteries: Almost done with One by One by Ruth Mare -- this one isn't exactly my cup of tea but definitely keeps me wondering how many will die. It takes place in Switzerland/Alps when an avalanche keeps everyone locked in -- no electricity, etc--in a resort/chateau.

I have two more books that were released from the holds in the library system: The Exiles by Christina Baker Kline and Choppy Waters by Stuart Woods. Both look promising but will start Exiles next.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Good to see you Ellie, always good to see what members are reading. I put a hold on 'One by One' not so much to find who did it but how they manage the surival end of it. There is a four month wait list. I know fiction but hope it's interesting. If you end up giving it a low rating I will cancel as am aware our tastes in reading are similar. Now lets hope others join in and share their reads.

What are you reading?
Last edited by Gerry on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:55 pm

Gerry wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:14 pm
Good to see you Ellie, always good to see what members are reading. I put a hold on 'One by One' not so much to find who did it but how they manage the surival end of it. There is a four month wait list. I know fiction but hope it's interesting. If you end up giving it a low taking I will cancel as am aware our tastes in reading are similar. Now lets hope others join in and share their reads.

What are you reading?
I enjoyed One by One -- it kept me reading! It is a who-done-it but also the survival aspect is a big part of the book. I think you will enjoy it! I am now on the look out for more Ruth Mare's books.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:19 am

Over the weekend I read 'My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me: A Black Women Discovers Her Family's Nazi Past ' by Jennifer Teege, coauthored by Nikola Sellmair. At age 38 Jennifer Teege picks a book off a library shelf and discovers the horrifying fact that her grandfather was Amon Goeth the vicious Nazi commander hung for war crimes. I was surprised that although she was adopted she was in contact with both her mother and her grandmother until she was twenty. She is successful in finding her mother and shares their story with us.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 am

We had our first blizzard which saw to huge drifts of snow, shoveled out the back, thankfully when I got to the front walkways found the yard next door was being done, how good they did the front and were available to add me to their list when family unavailable. Back issues should have me know better than to even pick up a snow shovel! Got by but just, plus was come late afternoon I designated it as reading time.

Read 'Daughter Of Heaven: A Memoir With Earthly Recipes ' by Leslie Li. I have to agree "Powerful, touching memoir of Chinese American Leslie Li. "Her grandfather was China's first democratically elected vice president to whom Chiang Kai shek when left control of country when he fled to Formosa" Her grandmother was one of the famous Kim Loo sisters and an awesome cook. This book touched my heart, likely be one of the few that I will read again. I am happy I have this one in my library as there is no doubt I will be back for many of the recipes!

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:40 am

Just finished The Exiles -- this is a good and powerful read about a situation where women and men (but this book is basically about 4 women) are transported in 19th century Australia. Three are prisoners and one is an aboriginal. It is about obsession but kept me reading.

Currently reading The Shadows by Alex North (a very different type of book) -- a psychological murder type of book. I just started it last night but I think it will be a good read.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:52 pm

'The Orphan House' by Ann Bennet, a book bub recommend made for a great read. Have to agree it is both gripping and heartbreaking.

I put two of Ellie's recommends on hold, finding Ruth Ware's books saw from four to six months which could see me to gardening time I cancelled the holds, went over to Amazon and treated myself. Enjoyed both 'One By One' and 'In The Dark Dark Woods. Much to my surprise Ruth Ware's 'Turn Of The Key ' arrived this morning. Off to another Ware book and start a search for a library or book blog to keep my winter reading flowing.