What Are You Reading 2020

ellie

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by ellie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:33 am

Gerry wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 pm
Yesterday January 27 survivors gathered to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. An American survey showed 41 percent didn't have the have basic knowledge of the Holocaust. Brings to mind some of my recent reads in the past year or so.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love Terror and an American Family in Hitlers Germany ’ William Dodd became America’s first ambassador to Germany in 1933 that ‘speaks volumes about why the world did not recognize the grave threat posed by Hitler until Berlin, and Europe were awash in blood and terror’

Survival In The Shadows' by Barbarba Lovenheim
Escape From Sobitor' by award winning author Richard Rashke

And another 'By Chance Alone' by Max Eisen I was not surprised to find Eisen won the 2019 CBC Canada Reads.

I am number 4 on 33 copies of ‘ The Tattooist of Auschwitz’by Heather Morris based on interviews that were conducted with Holocaust survivor and Auschwitz-Birkenau tattooist Ludwig Sokolov.

On a much lighter side I am now reading Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog' by James Avery.
Really like The Tattooist of Auschwitz -- I think you will enjoy it.

I am now reading Threads of Life: A History of the World Through the Eye of a Needle by Clare Hunter -- it is a personal history with sewing but she also discussing history of needlework -- her visits throughout Europe and how history of needlework impacts other things including her visit to the Bayeux Tapestry (I didn't know there were only 4 colors of thread used in the tapestry!) and other items of interest.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:36 pm

I have to wonder how I missed 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz' Ellie, am looking forward to reading it as soon as it becomes available.

Been a change of plans here, going through the CBC Readers list last night ‘Strangers In the House’ by Candace Savage caught my attention. Savage a renowned author investigates the dark and shocking history of her prairie home. When researching the first occupant of her Saskatoon Saskatchewan home Candace Savage discovers a family more fascinating and heartbreaking than she expected’

Being unavailable at the e library I placed a recommend. This morning this woman from Saskatchewan went over to Amazon, after reading the ‘Look inside’ although a touch pricey I bit the bullet and treated myself to a copy ‘a gift to me’ You know what I will be doing this evening!

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:37 pm

Testaments just came off my holds list, so I am looking forward to reading it.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am

I had both of the Atwood books come over the holidays, with family home I returned them and have reordered which sees me back to wait time. I am looking forward to your review on 'The Testaments' Ellie.

My last read was ‘Strangers In The house’ by Candice Savage, well researched in that she eventually met with family members who shared photos of the building of her house, but not quite what I was expecting. For most part it seemed to be more history of the settlement of the west than the house itself. History wise I found it surprising the bigotry of the time and more surprising to find the KKK ventured that far north. It does have one be thankful that the KKK were not welcome here on the prairies, far better that we are known for our friendliness, hospitality and caring.

I look forward to members sharing their reads and hope more of you would join us!
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:15 am

Gerry wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am
I had both of the Atwood books come over the holidays, with family home I returned them and have reordered which sees me back to wait time. I am looking forward to your review on 'The Testaments' Ellie.

My last read was ‘Strangers In The house’ by Candice Savage, well researched in that she eventually met with family members who shared photos of the building of her house, but not quite what I was expecting. For most part it seemed to be more history of the settlement of the west than the house itself. History wise I found it surprising the bigotry of the time and more surprising to find the KKK ventured that far north. It does have one be thankful that the KKK were not welcome here on the prairies, far better that we are known for our friendliness, hospitality and caring.

I look forward to members sharing their reads and hope more of you would join us!
What are you reading?
I liked the Testaments but thought that the handmaiden was better written and less confusing. I think if someone didn't read the handmaiden Testaments would have been very confusing as it was very definitely a sequel.

Next read: Turn of the Kay by Ruth Ware -- back to the thrillers.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:02 pm

I was looking forward to your review on the Atwood books ellie, thank you. This week I have reading a book and the sequel, while nonfiction I am finding the the same with the sequel, it's tending to jump from past to present more than I would like.

The past weeks grandson’s work saw him land in Berlin the day they were commemorating 75 years of the liberation of Auschwitz which saw me online and soon had me put in a library request for ‘The Bookshop: The Rediscovered Memoir of One Woman’s Harrowing Escape From The Nazis’ by Francoise Frenkel. Unavailable but sees to a recommend.

Upon his landing in Geneva my first thoughts were to the Alps, museums, art and books. My thoughts went to two books I loved as a child, the unforgettable 'Heidi’ by Johanna Spyri and ‘The Swiss Family Robinson’ by Yohann Rudolf Wyss. Happy to find Kindle versions which have been added to my e library, know they will bring back many happy memories of a childhood long past.

The Amsterdam landing had me immediately think to ‘The Diary Of Anne Frank’ on order is the kindle unabridged version being released February 28.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 pm

How are you enjoying your new thriller 'The Turn of The Key' by Ruth Ware Ellie? Will have to add Ruth Ware to my list of authors.

Today a cold winter weekend a perfect time for this women from Saskatchewan to relax with garden catalogues thinking to the warm and sunny then on to a good book. This morning ‘s offerings on BookBub saw me add ‘The Librarian of Auschwitz’ by Antonio Iturbe to my e library, a $22.99 value for $1.99. ‘Based on the experience of real-life Auschwitz prisoner Dita Kraus, this is the incredible story of a girl who risked her life to keep the magic of books alive during the Holocaust.’ Dita Kraus was 14 years old.

I highly recommend BookBub to our members, it’s free to join as well as you choose the genres. Great for the times the books aren’t available at the library.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:48 pm

Gerry wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:39 pm
How are you enjoying your new thriller 'The Turn of The Key' by Ruth Ware Ellie? Will have to add Ruth Ware to my list of authors.

Today a cold winter weekend a perfect time for this women from Saskatchewan to relax with garden catalogues thinking to the warm and sunny then on to a good book. This morning ‘s offerings on BookBub saw me add ‘The Librarian of Auschwitz’ by Antonio Iturbe to my e library, a $22.99 value for $1.99. ‘Based on the experience of real-life Auschwitz prisoner Dita Kraus, this is the incredible story of a girl who risked her life to keep the magic of books alive during the Holocaust.’ Dita Kraus was 14 years old.

I highly recommend BookBub to our members, it’s free to join as well as you choose the genres. Great for the times the books aren’t available at the library.

What are you reading?
I really like Turn of the Key -- it is a thriller and you know sort of what will happen since she is writing letter to her lawyer saying this is what happened -- but it is a page turner.

Will see if the library has the liberian of Auschwitz. on-line library does have it with a waiting list.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:27 pm

I have just read ‘North of Normal’ a best seller by Canadian author Cea Sunrise Person and the sequel ‘Almost Normal'

Cea Sunrise PersonThis is the story of my life, most memories depicted here are my own but have also drawn on the memories of my mother, grandparents, aunts and various family friends” Would that I had read that note before reading the books. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hgL30d2Jx0

Reading ‘North of Normal’ I have a difficult time thinking to anyone living as Cea’s family did and have a child survive. Not a book for the faint hearted, one that left me both shocked and saddened, times I laughed and times her experiences the kind that make you want to cry. A disturbing and at times violent childhood, Cea supported herself as a model from the time she was thirteen, that she managed to graduate from high school and model in Europe took determination on her part. She is now happily married and the mother of three living in Vancouver B.C.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 am

Finished Turn of The Key -- I really liked this book and also the way it was written in a letter format -- telling the story to an attorney. Lots of twists at the end -- with a surprise answer.

Next up is American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. This is an Ophia Windfrey book club selection. The main character runs a book store (would have loved to have a book store) and stocks her favorites which do not sell until one day. So of course there is something about the man who bought her faves and it goes on from there -- when she has to run from Mexico into the US -- sounds very promising. So American dirt isn't a negative word but actually the American Dirt we all love and try to reach.