What Are You Reading 2020

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:31 pm

Have to hope others will join in and share their favourite reads Ellie!

Tink

Post by Tink » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Gerry wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:31 pm
Have to hope others will join in and share their favourite reads Ellie!
Hi Gerry & Allie,
I'm a great lover of books, I rarely watch TV but always seem to have my nose in a book. At the moment I am reading a trilogy of a fictional crime family based in Glasgow, Scotland. Basically it's about the daughter of the family who is now head of the organisation because her brother was murdered over a drug deal and her mother was killed (by accident) at his funeral when the competing crime family wanted to send a message. They was only suppose to fire in the air but because the body guards to the family was armed and started shooting back and mum got caught in the cross fire. I'm on book 2 at the moment and it's so engrossing, anyone who likes crime novels would like these.

The books are by Anna Smith
1. Blood Feud
2. Fight Back
3. End Game

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:40 pm

Welcome Tink, how good to see you! Always good to see members sharing their reads. I have a number of friends who will be happy to check out the 'The Anna Smith Trilogy ' I know I did! Here in Canada only available in hard cover, pocket book or audio which means I have to wait for the Kindle version. But yes most of my friends are good with regular print and will be super happy to have a heads up on a good read. Please be sure to review and share your book choices with us.

As I have made mention we can recommend books to our library site but usually takes awhile before they are purchased, so surprised to find my recommend ‘The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek’ inspired by the true story if the blue people of Kentucky ready to download. Seems good timing having just read ‘The Hill Women’ Being a library loan I will set aside the purchase of the newly released version of ‘Anne Frank’ to read the loan for a quick return for those having it on hold.

While I too rarely watch T.V. this woman from Saskatchewan is also a curling fan watching our Canadian Brier this week for the team that will represent us at World Curling. Going to be burning some midnight oil to get my reads in.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Gerry wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:40 pm
Welcome Tink, how good to see you! Always good to see members sharing their reads. I have a number of friends who will be happy to check out the 'The Anna Smith Trilogy ' I know I did! Here in Canada only available in hard cover, pocket book or audio which means I have to wait for the Kindle version. But yes most of my friends are good with regular print and will be super happy to have a heads up on a good read. Please be sure to review and share your book choices with us.

As I have made mention we can recommend books to our library site but usually takes awhile before they are purchased, so surprised to find my recommend ‘The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek’ inspired by the true story if the blue people of Kentucky ready to download. Seems good timing having just read ‘The Hill Women’ Being a library loan I will set aside the purchase of the newly released version of ‘Anne Frank’ to read the loan for a quick return for those having it on hold.

While I too rarely watch T.V. this woman from Saskatchewan is also a curling fan watching our Canadian Brier this week for the team that will represent us at World Curling. Going to be burning some midnight oil to get my reads in.
What are you reading?
I loved the book woman of troublesome creek -- hope you enjoy it too!

The World that we Knew is a wonderful book and is a page turner. I am not finished but I highly recommend this book.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Ellie, although I just got started on ‘The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek’ I'm already sure I will enjoy! I checked out 'The World that we Knew' loving historical fiction saw me put a hold on it. I am number 16 on four books. Seems not only do we enjoy much in the way of recipes, but books as well.

With so many on hold at the library as well as the recommends I have to hope I don't have too many come at the same time.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Gerry wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:35 pm
Ellie, although I just got started on ‘The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek’ I'm already sure I will enjoy! I checked out 'The World that we Knew' loving historical fiction saw me put a hold on it. I am number 16 on four books. Seems not only do we enjoy much in the way of recipes, but books as well.

With so many on hold at the library as well as the recommends I have to hope I don't have too many come at the same time.
What are you reading?
Finished "The World we Knew" and it is a wonderful book -- historical fiction --- but the best I've read in a long time. Hope you enjoy it too when the hold gets released. The holds take so long -- mine are usually for six months -- but I do like not paying for books!My next holds won't be ready for weeks!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:12 pm

Having read ‘The Couple Next Door’ a national Best Seller by Shari Lapena known for her thrillers and chillers, a friends recommend as well as Lisa Gardners saw me put a hold on Shari Lapena’s ‘Someone We Know’ another national Best Seller and US Today Best Book of 2019.

While I still feel ‘The Couple Next Door’ should have had a follow up sequel, while waiting I will add ‘Someone We Know’ to my read list.

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:21 pm

Started "Long Bright River" by Liz Moore -- this is about two sisters -- one a police officer and the younger one lives on the streets. They grew up together in a less than perfect situation. The book alternates between present day (when Micky, the police officer, is looking for her sister) and the past when they were growing up. It is a page turner but also pulls at your heart strings.

Tink

Post by Tink » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:36 pm

I've just started book 3 of the Anna Smith trilogy although, I just heard that there is a 4th book coming out in 2021 but I can't find any information on it here in the States so maybe this is a series instead.

Gerry, how did you find ‘The Couple Next Door’? There is mixed reviews on Amazon some loved it while others gave only 1 star rating.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:18 am

"Cilka's Journey" should be coming off holds soon, but in the meantime I am going to read "Stay" by Catherine Ryan Hyde -- it sounds interesting -- a boy and dogs plus friendship all rolled into a great story.