What Are You Reading 2020

Gerry

What Are You Reading 2020

Post by Gerry » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:14 pm

The start of a new year and the start of another year of ‘What Are You Reading’
2019 saw to many a great read, once again not too surprised that two of my best reads won awards. As always so many books, so little time! Looking back on my reviews my Best for 2019.

'A Good Wife: Escaping the Life I Never Chose' a memoir by Samra Zafar. Once I read the first couple of chapters there was no setting it aside until that final page, a story not soon forgotten. A life story worth reading and one with a happy ending.

Samar Zafar memoir a story of an arranged marriage to a stranger and at 17 leaving behind her family in Pakistan to move to Canada living with escalating abuse. This amazing woman now serves as Governor for the University Of Toronto, an international speaker, human rights activist, scholar, author and social entrepreneur and has founded non-profit organization she founded to support abuse survivors.

'By Chance Alone'by Max Eisen I am not surprised to find Eisen won the 2019 CBC Canada Reads. As with several of the recent books I have read the first chapter seemed slow to start but soon found I could not put it down.

It is a book of surviving Auschwitz, ' powerful in that it outlines why society can never forget the past to ensure history doesn't repeat itself. Science journalist Ziya Tong, who advocated on behalf of “By Chance Alone” says the book is even more pressing given the reappearance of swastikas in the news and on social media. In the words of Max Eisen “Bad things happen when good people stand by and do nothing."

2019 saw to many a great read, for my third choice seeing we all enjoy both reading and recipes my third choice has to go to ‘Lavender and Lovageby Karen Booth Burns who back in the day many of us knew as “French Tart’ The book is ‘Part travel diary, part history, and all cookbook. It’s a beautiful culinary memoir packed with recipes and anecdotes from Karen’s life and travels across several continents.’ I have enjoyed Karen's recipes, her prize winning blog and her awesome photography, no surprise that I found her book perfect from cover to cover. A must read!

Both ‘The Handmaids Tale’ and ‘The Testaments’ came during the Christmas holidays which saw me return them and reorder to read later this winter. Tomorrow will browse through my Cloud Reader e library and begin my winter reads.

What are you reading?

ellie

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by ellie » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:57 am

The Testaments is still on hold -- another 4 weeks. Outfoxed is soon to be available.

Recently finished he Giver of Stars: A Novel by Jojo Moyes (a must read) along with The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek -- I liked the book woman better but they are both excellent. Some reviews say these books are very similar but I found both extremely good -- they both take place in the same location and during the same time period (Depression) and discuss the pack mule librarians -- but both are very good reads -- especially if you enjoy historical fiction. Also just finished "The Dutch House" --another very good read and very different from the other two. The Dutch House is about two siblings and their life together. Although I enjoyed all three if I was to pick one it would be the book woman.

Currently reading Cincinnati's Savage Seamstress: The Shocking Edythe Klumpp Murder Scandal (True Crime) by -- Richard O Jones -- it is okay but not the best read I have ever read. The seamstress part is very minimal -- and even the murder part is minimal -- it is more about the scandal. I am still reading it but not a must read type of book. Now I am getting to the seamstress part -- halfway through the book.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Ellie so good to see you, your reading list has me wanting to read them all! I ordered Kim Michele Richardson’s ‘The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek' from my e library. Only available in audio it is now on ‘recommend’

I was planning to read my new library loan ‘Jungle, a Harrowing True Story of Survival in the Amazon’ by Yossi Ghinsberg a book ordered shortly after watching the movie on Net flex only to find it is the same as ‘Lost in the Jungle' which I purchased and on my Cloud Reader which I have already read. I am thinking to give the movie another watching this winter.

I have been enjoying clips of the Turtle Mountain Animal Rescues online, rescues that touch the heart, I couldn’t resist adding the book ‘Rescues Matter’ by C.J. English.
‘In a forgotten land where lives are lost, souls are sometimes found. When Keith Benning accepted the job as a deputy in a small North Dakota county, he had no idea he was about to face the biggest challenge of his life. Four years and four thousand dogs later, he lost his marriage, a fellow officer and nearly his own life.

By rescuing seventy starving and unwanted animals out of his garage each month, Keith and a small team of volunteers have changed the world for thousands of dogs, and tens of thousands more to come. A gripping account of how a garage rescue grew into a mighty force that inspired a nation.’

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Gerry wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 pm
Ellie so good to see you, your reading list has me wanting to read them all! I ordered Kim Michele Richardson’s ‘The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek' from my e library. Only available in audio it is now on ‘recommend’

I was planning to read my new library loan ‘Jungle, a Harrowing True Story of Survival in the Amazon’ by Yossi Ghinsberg a book ordered shortly after watching the movie on Net flex only to find it is the same as ‘Lost in the Jungle' which I purchased and on my Cloud Reader which I have already read. I am thinking to give the movie another watching this winter.

I have been enjoying clips of the Turtle Mountain Animal Rescues online, rescues that touch the heart, I couldn’t resist adding the book ‘Rescues Matter’ by C.J. English.
‘In a forgotten land where lives are lost, souls are sometimes found. When Keith Benning accepted the job as a deputy in a small North Dakota county, he had no idea he was about to face the biggest challenge of his life. Four years and four thousand dogs later, he lost his marriage, a fellow officer and nearly his own life.

By rescuing seventy starving and unwanted animals out of his garage each month, Keith and a small team of volunteers have changed the world for thousands of dogs, and tens of thousands more to come. A gripping account of how a garage rescue grew into a mighty force that inspired a nation.’

What are you reading?
I am going to look up Rescues Matter -- sounds good!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm

Ellie I suspect 'Rescues Matter' will see to some sad moments but watching the Turtle Mountain Rescue videos are so touching that one sees why it has been such a success. I am just getting back to the reading.

This afternoon I spent some time going through the books on the best seller lists as well as new releases as I find when not available at the e library a ‘recommend’ sees me on top of the list when it’s purchased. I have put in recommends for:

'Hill Women:Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains' by Cassie Chambers . ‘After rising from poverty to earn two Ivy League degrees, an Appalachian lawyer pays tribute to the strong “hill women” who raised and inspired. An uplifting and eye-opening memoir for readers of Hillbilly Elegy and Educated’

'The Girls: An All American Town, A Predatory Doctor, and the Untold Story of Gymnasts Who Brought Him Down ' by Abigail Pesta

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 am

Gerry wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm
Ellie I suspect 'Rescues Matter' will see to some sad moments but watching the Turtle Mountain Rescue videos are so touching that one sees why it has been such a success. I am just getting back to the reading.

This afternoon I spent some time going through the books on the best seller lists as well as new releases as I find when not available at the e library a ‘recommend’ sees me on top of the list when it’s purchased. I have put in recommends for:

'Hill Women:Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains' by Cassie Chambers . ‘After rising from poverty to earn two Ivy League degrees, an Appalachian lawyer pays tribute to the strong “hill women” who raised and inspired. An uplifting and eye-opening memoir for readers of Hillbilly Elegy and Educated’

'The Girls: An All American Town, A Predatory Doctor, and the Untold Story of Gymnasts Who Brought Him Down ' by Abigail Pesta

What are you reading?
Couldn't find Rescues Matter yet -- did you read it on a kindle? Will look for your other selections as they sound good too.

Started Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate -- a very sad story of a family of 5 children who were kidnapped and will be sold on the baby/child market -- the children in this case are not babies. It goes back and forth from present day to 1939 when the children were stolen. It moves fast but is very sad and disturbing. Just started it last night.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm

A big thank you goes to Shadows for the John Steinbeck quote over in our Quotes/Inspirational Corner. Also a big thank you to the teacher that introduced me to Steinbeck back in grade school. John Steinbeck remains one of my favourite authors.

The quote had me head over to Amazon, the good news is come February many more of his books will be available on Kindle. For me it will be a toss up between my first read in grade school ‘Of Mice and Men'or 'Grapes Of Wrath' both of which I have added to my e library. Once again so many books so little time!

Ellie, with 'Recues Matter'not being available at my e library I got my copy at Amazon.
Before We Were Yours 'by Lisa Wingate sounds like a book I would enjoy. It’s on hold, I am three on the list.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:12 am

'Rescues Matter'
Watching the Turtle Mountain Rescue videos are so touching that one can see why it has been such a success, the photos of these beautiful rescues warm the heart, but for me when it came to the reading while I expected there would be some sad moments I found myself overcome by the heart wrenching stories of neglect and abuse with more than I ever wanted to know.

I concentrated on love given the rescues and the dedication of Keith Benning and those involved with the rescue operation, but had to glean over much of it as for me it was just too heart breaking to take in. One has to give credit for these caregivers who manage to gain back the trust and bring love into their lives. I fully support the Turtle Mountain Rescue but for this animal lover the book overwhelmed.

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 am

Started My Name is Eva by Suzanne Goldring -- -- another WWII book taking place in England and Germany-- present to past. Woman is in nursing home and niece finds papers among Aunt Evelyn (Eva) things and brings them to her aunt to ask about them. The more I get into this book the better it gets -- love Evelyn(Eva) and how people think old people are all dim-witted. Eva definitely is not but puts on the act. History is wonderful but the story is about Eva and she is wonderful.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Yesterday January 27 survivors gathered to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. An American survey showed 41 percent didn't have the have basic knowledge of the Holocaust. Brings to mind some of my recent reads in the past year or so.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love Terror and an American Family in Hitlers Germany ’ William Dodd became America’s first ambassador to Germany in 1933 that ‘speaks volumes about why the world did not recognize the grave threat posed by Hitler until Berlin, and Europe were awash in blood and terror’

Survival In The Shadows' by Barbarba Lovenheim
Escape From Sobitor' by award winning author Richard Rashke

And another 'By Chance Alone' by Max Eisen I was not surprised to find Eisen won the 2019 CBC Canada Reads.

I am number 4 on 33 copies of ‘ The Tattooist of Auschwitz’by Heather Morris based on interviews that were conducted with Holocaust survivor and Auschwitz-Birkenau tattooist Ludwig Sokolov.

On a much lighter side I am now reading Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog' by James Avery.