What Are You Reading 2019

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:31 pm

Oh my, I know what you mean about having to set it aside. A few years back, I read the book "Unbroken" about some American POW's being held by the Japanese. I sure did do some crying.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:01 pm

'Escape From Sobitor ' is a true and gripping account of one of the Nazi death camps, 250,000 lives were lost at Sobibor which Richard Rashke called Heinrich Himmler's "best-kept secret." Interviews with eighteen of the survivors takes you into an era of absolute evil, their stories of survival touch the heart. As with 'In the Garden Of Beasts' it left me once again wondering and asking how was it possible for almost everyone to turn a blind eye to the evil around them allowing for the darkest days of humankind. They shared their stories in memory of those who never left Sobibor. So intense at times I had to put it aside for a time and take time away before continuing. Watching the news around the world and seeing the marchers openly displaying Nazi flags and wearing swastikas, we cannot close our eyes and let this evil repeat itself.

Time for something light hearted, my next read is one I read many years back ' The Grass is Always Greener Over THe Septic Tank' an Emma Bombeck book always makes for a for fun read.
What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 am

Along with gardening I have been enjoying a summer with my family. A few nights ago we did a mini Italian potluck and a movie night watching a netflix movie 'Jungle' a 2017 Australian biographical survival drama film, based on the true story of Israeli adventurer Yossi Ghinsberg's 1981 journey into the Amazon rainforest. Came the ending before I realized it was based on the true story of Yossi Ghinberg who almost died when lost in the Bolivian jungle. Not being available at my library saw me head to Amazon and have added it to my Cloud Reader.

Looking forward to a great read. Adding a link I found while searching for 'Lost In the Jungle The True Story of Adventure and Surival' by Yossi Ghinsberg.
https://www.thejc.com/i-was-lost-in-the ... gle-1.3956

What are you reading?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Just finished Farewell to Manzanar by Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston. It's about the atrocious treatment of Japanese Americans during world war II. And how they were herded into internment camps for the duration of the war.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Always extra special to stop in and see what others are reading, thank you for taking time to drop by lovinretirement. I was happy to find 'Farewell to Manzanar' at our e library and placed a hold.
Meanwhile I will be spending evenings with Aileen Bordman's 'Everyday Monet' hoping to be inspired as almost time to plan my fall garden.

What are you reading?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 am

I am currently 93% finished "House of Rejoicing : A novel of Amarna Egypt " by Libbie Hawker. It is written from the view of the Pharaoh's wives. It shows palace intrigue and deciept . Kind of a long read but well worth it if you are a history buff.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Good to see you drop by Shadow's. I too am a history buff, I find Egypt's history fascinating. Your latest read had me head to our library, being unavailable I ordered an e copy of Libby Hawker's 'House of Rejoicing' from Amazon. Being a long read I will set aside it to enjoy over winter. On the other hand if it doesn't stop raining here I may settle down to reading it sooner than later! It had me think to also adding Bob Brier P.HD.'s 'The Murder of Tutankhamen' Finding my copy sees the print on the small side I will likely add an e copy to my Cloud Reader.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:19 am

I am currently reading "Wanderers" by Chuck Wendig -- it is a page turner and is a long read (over 700 pages) -- about some people getting a sleep walking illness or something and keeps walking (no eating or anything) and about the people around them -- lots of twists and turns and is keeping me interested. I am reading it on kindle and was able to get it though and inter-library loan.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:44 am

It's no secret that I rarely watch TV so not surprising that Netlix was only watched when the grans were here. That changed awhile back when I got caught up in a documentery. Since then find I enjoy the seclections offered for movies and shows as well.

This weekend I watched 'The Glass Castle' having read Jennifer Walls memoir a number of years back the movie prompted me to head to my e library to place a hold to give it another read.

There have been a number of comments on online sites reccomending 'The Girl on the Train' having also watched it this weekend I have put it on hold on that one as well. On checking I found there were mixed reviews for the book, has anyone here read it? I f so I would love to hear your reviews.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:00 am

At the moment I have holds placed on two Margaret Atwood books, 'The Testament' the 2019 winner of Britians most prestigeous award, the follow up to 'The Handmaids Tale' a book a family member was amazed to find I hadn't read.

This morning I placed a request/recommend on Margot Mifflins 'The Blue Tattoo: The Life of Olive Oatman' a thirteen year old pioneer travelling west with her family taken captive by the Yavapai. A year later traded to the Mohave for horses, blankets vegetables and trinkets. Given the Mohave tattoos and raised as their own. At nineteen she was ransomed back. One point of interest the site where she was realeased is now the city of Oatman Arizona on route 66.

What are you reading?