What Are You Reading 2019

Gerry

What Are You Reading 2019

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:04 am

The start of a new year and a start to our 2019 ‘What Are You Reading​’
2018 saw to many a great read, not too surprised that two of my best reads are on the top ten best seller list. So many books, so little time! Looking back on my reviews My Best of 2018 Choices.

My first read for 2018 was ‘Hidden Figures The American Dream and Untold Story of Black Women Who Helped Win The Space Race’ the phenomenal story of the black mathematicians at NASA whose calculations helped fuel some of America’s greatest achievements in space’ A page turner.

'Educated' a memoir by Tara Westover one of the best sellers of 2018 one of my best reads of the year. An incredible and powerful memoir I can see why this book is a #1 International Bestseller. This is the first memoir that had me go online checking to assure it was not fiction. Her childhood makes for tears, while her courage and determination see this memoir with a happy ending. This is a must read!

Aron Goldfarb's ' Maybe You Will Survive' a biography, a story of the Holocaust, Aron's story of loss of family and friends and the will to survive after escaping a labor camp. An incredible story of love and caring in a world of unbelievable horror.

The Radium Girls’ by Kate Moore another on the best seller list. I for one had no idea that our glow in the dark clocks saw to workers exposed to radiation in radium-dial factories. Incredible how corporate greed knowingly allowed these woman to suffer excruciating pain, suffering and loss of life. Kate Moore honours these women for seeking truth and justice allowing truth to prevail. I was appalled at the lies, fraud and cover ups and absolute disregard for life the corporation had and have to wonder how they managed to sleep at night.

An absolute fun read for me was Victoria Tweads’s 'Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools' a British couple’s retirement move to Spain. Lighthearted, entertaining and a read that enticed me to read the series, Two Old Fools - Ole - Two Old Fools and a Camel - Two Old Fools in Spain Again and Two Old Fools in Turmoil.

Admittedly I enjoyed a good number of books this past year, a good many from our members recommends that I simply didn’t have time to review but enjoy I did. My 2018 ended with Eun Sun Kim’s ' A Thousand Miles To Freedom' a moving account of her long journey to freedom.

New Years Day saw to family movies and a good start on Hal Bertland’s ‘The Dog Who Came to Stay' this evening on to one from the New York Times Bestsellers list ‘I'll Be Gone In The Dark' by Michelle McNamara.

What are you reading?
Last edited by Gerry on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovinretirement

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by lovinretirement » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Just finished "As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me" by Josef M. Bauer. It is a true story of a German prisoner of war, captured by the Russians during World War 2. He was sent to a work camp in a far remote area of northeastern Siberia. He was able to escape after a couple years of hard labor in a lead mine. It took him more than 3 years to make it to freedom in the west. It's a very compelling account of determination and the deep desire for freedom.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:09 pm

For one finding our winters cold, I was shocked when I read Nobel Prize winner Alexander Solzhenitsyn’s ‘The Gulag Archipelago' years back to read of the horrors at the Siberian camps that minor offenders along with political prisoners were sent with little in the way of shelter, food or clothing. Cold and near starvation food allotments saw millions die in those camps. Alexander Solzhenitsyn spent eight years as a prisoner.

The cold and no regard for life of the prisoners at these remote camps it’s hard to imagine anyone escaping and managing to survive. Once again over to Amazon now sees ‘As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me’ by Josef M. Bauer added to my Cloud Reader. Thank you for the heads up lovinretirement!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:14 pm

I have to agree with lovinretirement, her recommend is a very compelling account of determination and the deep desire for freedom. Josef P. Bauer’s As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me the escape of a German soldier Cornelius Rost using the alias Clemens Forell from a forced labor camp in Siberia using eight hours of taped material. While there are gaps and perhaps embellishments on Rosts part research tells me at least a dozen or more soldiers managed to escape these camps. Millions died in these brutal camps just to survive is a small miracle in itself, the courage to escape and the determination to reach home makes for an incredible story of survival and the will to live.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm

I am sorry but I cannot remember when a book on the best seller list with great reviews so disappointed as did Michelle McNamara’s I'll Be Gone Before Dark. I found the timeline very disorganized and often rambling and off topic. There’s no doubt her research on the Golden Gate Killer was both dedicated and through,unfortunately her untimely death saw her husband and researcher friends organize and publish the book. For me it didn't flow and missed the mark. Perhaps others will find the collection of the research of interest.

As a note of interest back in August of 2018 DNA saw Joseph James DeAngelo72-year-old former police officer accused of committing serial rape and murder across California beginning 40 years ago to be tried on multiple murder counts in a single trial in Sacramento, California. Now off to check out my Cloud Reader for something lighthearted.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm

I am reading "Heads You Win" by Jeffrey Archer -- a very entertaining book about immigrants from Russia (mother and son) and how they succeeded in the countries they emigrated to. There are confusing parts but all in all a page turner.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Gerry wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:04 am
The start of a new year and a start to our 2019 ‘What Are You Reading​’
2018 saw to many a great read, not too surprised that two of my best reads are on the top ten best seller list. So many books, so little! Looking back on my reviews My Best of 2018 Choices.

My first read for 2018 was ‘Hidden Figures The American Dream and Untold Story of Black Women Who Helped Win The Space Race’ the phenomenal story of the black mathematicians at NASA whose calculations helped fuel some of America’s greatest achievements in space’ A page turner.

'Educated' a memoir by Tara Westover one of the best sellers of 2018 one of my best reads of the year. An incredible and powerful memoir I can see why this book is a #1 International Bestseller. This is the first memoir that had me go online checking to assure it was not fiction. Her childhood makes for tears, while her courage and determination see this memoir with a happy ending. This is a must read!

Aron Goldfarb's ' Maybe You Will Survive' a biography, a story of the Holocaust, Aron's story of loss of family and friends and the will to survive after escaping a labor camp. An incredible story of love and caring in a world of unbelievable horror.

The Radium Girls’ by Kate Moore another on the best seller list. I for one had no idea that our glow in the dark clocks saw to workers exposed to radiation in radium-dial factories. Incredible how corporate greed knowingly allowed these woman to suffer excruciating pain, suffering and loss of life. Kate Moore honours these women for seeking truth and justice allowing truth to prevail. I was appalled at the lies, fraud and cover ups and absolute disregard for life the corporation had and have to wonder how they managed to sleep at night.

An absolute fun read for me was Victoria Tweads’s 'Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools' a British couple’s retirement move to Spain. Lighthearted, entertaining and a read that enticed me to read the series, Two Old Fools - Ole - Two Old Fools and a Camel - Two Old Fools in Spain Again and Two Old Fools in Turmoil.

Admittedly I enjoyed a good number of books this past year, a good many from our members recommends that I simply didn’t have time to review but enjoy I did. My 2018 ended with Eun Sun Kim’s ' A Thousand Miles To Freedom' a moving account of her long journey to freedom.

New Years Day saw to family movies and a good start on Hal Bertland’s ‘The Dog Who Came to Stay' this evening on to one from the New York Times Bestsellers list ‘I'll Be Gone In The Dark' by Michelle McNamara.

What are you reading?
We have similar reading lists -- I enjoyed both Educated and Radium Girls. Some of your other books sound interesting and will be checking them out on Kindle soon.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Good to see you ellie, I will be adding 'Hearts You Win' to my reading list.

It’s a good thing I have a library stash on hand as find I have 67 holds to go at our library for ‘Washington Black’ from the 2018 winner list. The new CBC long list for 2019 sees to several that I am looking to read ‘The Crazy Game’ and ‘The Woo Woo’

On a much shorter hold is ‘The Crazy Game’ by Clint Malarchuk ‘a NHL goalie who suffered a horrific sporting injury during a televised hockey game when an opposing player skate blade severed his jugular vein. He was fortunate he didn’t die, the team's trainer a Vietnam War veteran was able to stem the bleeding. He spent 20 years with undiagnosed PTSD which put his life in peril and once again almost ended his life ’ He sought help, now he and his wife are now mental health advocates, urging others to seek help for their problems.’

The Woo Woo ’ is a memoir by Lindsay Long 'an Asian immigrant who grew up in a dysfunctional Asian family who blame their woes on ghosts and demons. A witty and touching memoir of her experience and a harrowing and honest depiction of the vagaries of mental illness’ The Woo Woo is not yet available at Library2go or from the library. I may have to head over to Amazon.

I am now reading Sarah Jane Butfield’s travel memoirs ‘Glass Half Full’ and 'Two Dogs and a Suitacase' What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:49 am

Woo Woo sounds interesting - I'll check on kindle/library.

Started "The German Midwife" by Mandy Robotham. This is a holocaust book about a prisoner who was also a midwife who is asked to help with Ev Braun (Hitler's mistress) pregnancy. We shall see how it works out -- but it is a bit unreal!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:10 pm

I think you are right ellie we do have similar reading lists! I see ‘The German Midwife is listed as a new voice in historical fiction for 2019, will be checking my e library as well as our regional library. It has excellent reviews which should make for a great read.

There was a holocaust book among today’s offerings from Book Bub, Barbara Lovensteim’s ‘Surival in the Shadows’ A National bestseller ‘the harrowing true story of two Jewish families hiding in a small factory near Hitler’s bunker, without identification cards or food-ration stamps, they were dependent on German strangers for survival.’

Today sees us under a storm warning with high winds, snow and blizzard conditions, a good day for a cuddle blanket and read time. A few chapters to go and I will be ready to start a new book which I suspect will be will be ‘Survival in the Shadows’

Would be great to see more of our members stop in and participate here in our Library Forum!
What are you reading?