What Are You Reading 2019

ellie

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by ellie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:26 am

Gerry wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:16 pm
Okay Ellie, you got me! I now have 'A SIngle Thread' on hold. I was super lucky to have 'The Handmaids Tale' arrive before 'The Testaments' seeing as of this morning I now have both. There had to have been one lot of cancellations! Have been so super busy preparing for my family home for the holidays that I have only have managed a few chapters before I fall into bed.
I think what happens (at least with me) is that the holds are so long some people quit waiting and buy the book so the hold lines get a bit shorter. There are so many books out there though -- I usually wait it out!

I just started "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides. It's about a woman who kills her husband and then no longer speaks -- she is in an asylum and a psychotherapist is trying to find her story.

ellie

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by ellie » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:13 am

Last night I started a very interesting and powerful book -- The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek byKim Michele Richardson. It is about Cussy Carter (also called Bluet), the last of the blue-skinned people in the Appalachian Mountains during the Great Depression (I even looked it up and it really occurred during the time period and region due to inbreeding). She is one of the packhorse librarian who brings books to the people in the region (this actually happened too). This is starting out to be a very powerful book about a strong and powerful woman who deals with a lot of things based on being blue and also about the other strong characters in the book.