What Are You Reading 2019

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm

I was surprised to find my library had 'The Silver Suitcase' by Terri Todd a recommend by lovinretirement and should be here Thursday. That library search had me find ‘Hana's Suitcase ' at our e library which was surprisingly available and ready to go.

I didn’t realize that 'Hana's Suitcase was written for children, a true story that begins with arrival of Hana’s suitcase at the Children’s Japanese Holocaust Educational Centre which led to searching for Hana’s records. The story was written to make children aware that we must not let this happen again. Hana’s story touches the heart.

I am now reading 'Tell It All A Woman's Life in Polygamy' by Fanny Stenhouse recommended by ellie which is making for a good read.

Thinking to something lighter has me looking to a friend's recommend a New York Best seller Chelsea Chandler's memoir 'Life Will Be The Death Of Me which is said to be disarmingly charming and riotously funny.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:09 am

Just finished "Never Tell" by Lisa Gardner -- a D.D. Warren and Flora Dane Novel -- lots of twists and turns as one can expect from this type of book but it keep me reading it until the wee hours of the morning. Murder, kidnapping, family secrets -- a great "who done it" book.

Will be starting "The Huntress" by Kate Quinn -- a historical novel about World War II and Nazis -- a journalist looking back to the War and secrets. I think this will be a great read.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Have read " Never Tell" it is indeed a good read!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Reading reviews for 'Never Tell' it was suggested to read 'Find Her' first, that had me place holds on both as well as Kate Quinn's 'The Huntress' at my e library. I'm number 40 on the Quinn book. Thank you ellie, seeing both you and Shadows saw 'Never Tell' as a good read I am sure I will enjoy.

My eye issues have improved allowing me to read more books this year than I have in one long time which sees me back to adding more novels along with the non fiction. It does help that my e library is seeing to more and more selections available. Books remain difficult so many have cream colored pages and really fine print.

Shadows, have a number of friends who love when I pass along your recommends, been missing your reviews. Hope you will add some of your reads in the next while.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:39 am

Gerry wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 pm
Reading reviews for 'Never Tell' it was suggested to read 'Find Her' first, that had me place holds on both as well as Kate Quinn's 'The Huntress' at my e library. I'm number 40 on the Quinn book. Thank you ellie, seeing both you and Shadows saw 'Never Tell' as a good read I am sure I will enjoy.

My eye issues have improved allowing me to read more books this year than I have in one long time which sees me back to adding more novels along with the non fiction. It does help that my e library is seeing to more and more selections available. Books remain difficult so many have cream colored pages and really fine print.

Shadows, have a number of friends who love when I pass along your recommends, been missing your reviews. Hope you will add some of your reads in the next while.
What are you reading?
The Huntress is turning out to be quite good. I only read books on Kindle as it is easier and the inter-library loan makes it also easier and more affordable -- I usually do have to wait though because there are always holds.

The Huntress was very good but different from what I expected --Nazis, Russia during the War along with a woman pilot who flew during the war for Russia -- secrets and finding people all wound up in a wonderful page turning book.
Last edited by ellie on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:56 am

What an early morning surprise to open my inbox and find three books on loan! In today's delivery to our small town library, Todd Terrie's 'The Silver Suitcase' and 'Life Will Be The Death of Me' by Chelsea Handler. Having just ordered 'Find Her' by Lisa Gardener I was amazed to find it ready for a download which I did before six this morning. Obviously some automation happening at the e library or staff hours see night shifts after nine as message sent at 10:30!

Now to find time amid preparing for the Easter weekend to get to the reading, moreover decide which one as I have been looking forward to all three!

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Our library loans are shipped on Thursdays, seems shipped means they are in the system not necessarily arrival date at our local library, which should see both The Silver Suitcase'and ' Life Will Never Be The Same Again' arrive this afternoon. Having had warm days this week saw me outdoors, woke to above zero temps this morning but a cold prairie wind will see me indoors today. Looking to an early evening and a great read.

With 17 holds still to go for Lisa Gardener’s ‘Never Tell’ I read my e library download that was suggested to read first ‘Find Her' This one is an absolute page turner. I felt as though she said what is left unsaid in the true life accounts in regards to abductions. It was a great read.

Has anyone read ‘Neighbours’ by Joseph Souza? Said to be a psychological thriller and an addictive page turner. If Souza’s novels are in the same league as Lisa Gardener I will add that one to my e library.

What are you reading?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:10 am

Gerry wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:40 pm
Has anyone read ‘Neighbours’ by Joseph Souza? Said to be a psychological thriller and an addictive page turner. If Souza’s novels are in the same league as Lisa Gardener I will add that one to my e library.

What are you reading?
No it is not comparable to Lisa's work.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Thank you Shadows, I was sure that one of the members would be able to lead me in the right direction. I am so happy to be able to do far more reading this year but still remains there are limitations.

I was so impressed with Lisa Gardener's 'Find Her' I will be adding her books to my read list. The Gardener book had me go back to my library stash noting my copy of 'Lost Girls by John Glatt, a true story relating to the rescue of three women kidnapped and imprisoned for over a decade. A good many positive reviews but will see if this is a book on how to survive and give insights on how friends and neighbors could follow through if they sense something is not quite right in what they see.

There remains a wait on my library loans, with the holidays no deliveries yesterday, but here Tuesday. Pity as they are predicting snow this weekend perfect for read time after outdoor clean up this past week. Hopefully the weatherman is wrong!

What are you reading?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:06 am

If you enjoyed the Lost Girls then this one I recommended last year will rock your boat:
The Butterfly Garden (The Collector Book 1) by Dot Hutchison