What Are You Reading 2019

Shadows1

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 am

Gerry I think you will enjoy the" Handmaids Tale" I sure did!

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Shadows1 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 am
Gerry I think you will enjoy the" Handmaids Tale" I sure did!
I did too!

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:05 am

Started a new book yesterday -- The Dressmaker's Gift by Fiona Valpy and I think this will be a good book. It is present to past type of book -- learning about her grandmother who was a seamstress in WWII in France during the occupation.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:15 pm

I just discovered a new author, at least to me. It's Creston Mapes. If you like suspense mysteries like I do, you'll like him. He writes series and stand-alone novel's. I just finished his stand-alone novel called "Nobody". It's about the murder of a homeless man who was discovered by a reporter. And the murder never made the news like he was a 'nobody'. And a plus for me at least is there was no sex or profanity.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:01 pm

I have a copy of'The Sun Does Shine' by Ray Hinton who spent three decades on death row for two crimes he did not commit. Plan was to read it this past weekend but only managed to find time for a couple of chapters.

Checking my holds has me see my copy of Margaret Atwoods 'The Testament' will come long before 'The Handmaids Tale' I shoud be seeing a copy of 'The Killer Across The Table' by John Douglas an FBI criminal profiler, hopefullly well after the holidays. Meanwhile have 'The Glass Castle' that is waiting to be read.

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:06 pm

I am also waiting for a hold for The Testaments -- I think it is something like six months out.

I started "A Single Thread" by Tracy Chevalier -- and I think it will be a good read. It is a historical novel but with another twist of discussing women who lost men in the World War I and also how the main character finds support in a group I hadn't heard of before "society of broderers" - women who embroider kneelers for the Cathedral in England.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:25 am

I was amazed to find a copy of 'The Handmaids Tale' is here, last time I looked it had a long wait list. I am guessing that means 'The Testament' will likely be here much sooner than expected as well. Good thing I got up super early this morning as I need to complete my lower level major clean for the holidays and get the last of the cookies done, hopefully in plenty of time to settle in for a read this evening. Then there is that curling this week too, may need to burn some midnight oil!

I enjoy historical novels Ellie, 'A Single Thread' sounds like one I would like. Looking to hear back on that one. Will be watching for your review. Come January and our long cold prairie winter ahead I am looking forward to one lot of catch up reading!

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:36 am

Gerry wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:25 am
I was amazed to find a copy of 'The Handmaids Tale' is here, last time I looked it had a long wait list. I am guessing that means 'The Testament' will likely be here much sooner than expected as well. Good thing I got up super early this morning as I need to complete my lower level major clean for the holidays and get the last of the cookies done, hopefully in plenty of time to settle in for a read this evening. Then there is that curling this week too, may need to burn some midnight oil!

I enjoy historical novels Ellie, 'A Single Thread' sounds like one I would like. Looking to hear back on that one. Will be watching for your review. Come January and our long cold prairie winter ahead I am looking forward to one lot of catch up reading!

What are you reading?
I enjoyed the Handmaid's Tale.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:05 pm

ellie wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:36 am
Gerry wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:25 am

What are you reading?
I enjoyed the Handmaid's Tale.
"A Single Thread" held my attention as it was about stitchers and women -- there was a historical context about loss of family in the war but there it is also about forbidden and bidden love with different characters.

The Testament is moving up -- we are now 22 weeks out!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:16 pm

Okay Ellie, you got me! I now have 'A SIngle Thread' on hold. I was super lucky to have 'The Handmaids Tale' arrive before 'The Testaments' seeing as of this morning I now have both. There had to have been one lot of cancellations! Have been so super busy preparing for my family home for the holidays that I have only have managed a few chapters before I fall into bed.