What Are You Reading 2019

Shadows1

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by Shadows1 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Currently reading " The Unremembered Girl " by Eliza Maxwell . A little off-base but I can't put it down, was up until 3AM reading it last night. I would say a must read for those who like avant-garde.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Just finished "The Girls are Gone" by Michael Brodkorb and Allison Mann -- about a custody divorce that went very wrong -- this is about the trials and finding the "runaway daughters" -- this is very long because it also includes all the notes/quotes/articles that were written about the many trials in the custody. Although it is good -- there is a lot of duplication in the book (verifying items that happened with quotes/articles).

Next up: "A Woman of No Importance" by Sonia Purnell - historical novel about Virginia Hall, an American spy during World War II.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:55 am

I have added the 'Girls are Gone' to my e library book list ellie. Sounds like a good read.

Unfortunately most of my winter read choices came during my hectic and busy outdoor spring garden time and are back on my to read list come our long cold Saskatchewan winters. Yesterday saw to a long awaited and much needed rain day and late afternoon set aside for read time for my e library copy of 'Small Fry'by Lisa Brennan-Jobs.

No surprise that it's a New York and New Yorker Top 10 of the year. 'Small Fry' is a 'memoir of growing up as the daughter of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, you’ll feel sorry for her. In Small Fry, Brennan-Jobs moves back and forth in time, balancing her memories of Jobs' often tough treatment of her (denying paternity, denying her adequate financial support, denying her the warmth and attention every child deserves) with his unpredictable moments of openness and generosity.’

I did read that Steve Job's wife and sister commented on the book that it "wasn't the Steve they remembered." But I suspect they just didn’t see that for most years Lisa grew up unacknowledged and later found herself described as ‘dad’s mistake’ and admittedly her mom could never be seen as mother of the year.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Gerry wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:55 am
I have added the 'Girls are Gone' to my e library book list ellie. Sounds like a good read.

Unfortunately most of my winter read choices came during my hectic and busy outdoor spring garden time and are back on my to read list come our long cold Saskatchewan winters. Yesterday saw to a long awaited and much needed rain day and late afternoon set aside for read time for my e library copy of 'Small Fry'by Lisa Brennan-Jobs.

No surprise that it's a New York and New Yorker Top 10 of the year. 'Small Fry' is a 'memoir of growing up as the daughter of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, you’ll feel sorry for her. In Small Fry, Brennan-Jobs moves back and forth in time, balancing her memories of Jobs' often tough treatment of her (denying paternity, denying her adequate financial support, denying her the warmth and attention every child deserves) with his unpredictable moments of openness and generosity.’

I did read that Steve Job's wife and sister commented on the book that it "wasn't the Steve they remembered." But I suspect they just didn’t see that for most years Lisa grew up unacknowledged and later found herself described as ‘dad’s mistake’ and admittedly her mom could never be seen as mother of the year.
I still have problems on occasion but am able to get on the site most days. Currently reading "A Private Disgrace: Lizzie Borden byDaylight" by Victoria Lincoln -- this is a Lizzie Borden book written by a neighbor and it mentions things that are not usually mentioned -- disputing a lot of things previously mentioned about Lizzie Borden and also gives insights into her life. Interesting but not a quick read.

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley is a fast and good read -- a group of friends getting together and someone is murdered -- lots of secrets over the years.

The Night Visitors by Carol Goodman was a good read -- thriller -- a woman flees an abusive relationship and uncovers secrets. Fast read.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am

Got a book for my Kindle for free on Book Bub. It's called "The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly" by Kate Braithwaite. Excellent. Tells the true story of Nellie Bly and what she had to go through in the late 1880's to get a job as a reporter in a largely male-dominated field. Like getting herself committed to an insane asylum to be able to report on the atrocities that went on there.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:08 pm

Great to see you stop by lovinretirement, I think of you every time I use Bookbub to add a book to my elibrary. Love my Bookbub daily offers.

Having read the Nelly Bly account of having herself committed to an insane asylum to report on the poor conditions I have requested a copy of 'The Girl Puzzle' from my library as I had done with 'Unremembered Girl' a recommend by Shadows. Hoping they will add copies to their library. I have been happily surprised on several occasions. If it doesn't happen I can watch for them on Bookbub or get a copy from Amazon.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 pm

I am reading Lost Roses by Martha hall Kelly-- a historical novel that is really quite good. It takes place in 1914 during the war -- Russia and America -- focusing on one extended family

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:07 am

I like historical novels. I like to read about history; which is why I am just starting my current book entitled "Buffalo Gap- A French Ranch in Dakota, 1887". Buffalo Gap is a town near here that currently has 137 people. This book has been translated from the French. It was written by a French traveler who came to this area on more than one occasion.
The author was Le Baron E. de Mandat-Grancey.
Say that three times fast!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:29 am

Gerry wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:08 pm
Great to see you stop by lovinretirement, I think of you every time I use Bookbub to add a book to my elibrary. Love my Bookbub daily offers.

Having read the Nelly Bly account of having herself committed to an insane asylum to report on the poor conditions I have requested a copy of 'The Girl Puzzle' from my library as I had done with Unremembered Girl' a recommend by Shadows'. Hoping they will add copies to their library. I have been happily surprised on several occasions. If it doesn't happen I can watch for them on Bookbub or get a copy from Amazon.
Gerry I got my copy from Book Bub which is from Amazon.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Great to see new recommends ellie and whatamIgonnaeatnext, love knowing anytime we want to look for a good read we can come in and find books enjoyed by others. I love Book Bub, seems I missed 'Unremembered Girl' Shadows, will have to watch for it.

With all the documentaries this summer I added 'Escape from Sobibor' by award winning author Richard Rashke who also wrote 'The Killing of Karen Silkwood' Sobibor was a secret Nazi death camp in eastern Poland, 'A story of unimaginable cruelty. A story of courage and a fierce desire to live and to tell the world what truly went on behind those barbed wire fences.' Interviews with survivors of this camp was shared in honor of the more than fifty thousand who did not escape from Sobibor. I have had to set it aside as times it doesn't seem possible that this could have been allowed to happen.

This past week I couldn't resist treating myself to 'Everyday Monet: a Giverny Inspired Gardening and Lifestyle Guide' now to spend enough indoor time to enjoy it!
What are you reading?