What Are You Reading 2019

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:41 pm

I just finished reading ‘Survivial In The Shadows' by Barbara Lovenheim. ‘This National best seller is an extraordinary true account how 7 members of the Arndt, Lewinsky and the Gumpel families managed to survive through the final and most deadly years of the Holocaust by hiding together from the Nazis right under Hitler’s nose and against all odds, undetected for over two and a half years. This is their story and those of non-Jewish Germans who risked their lives to keep them alive during their perilous struggle to escape the Nazis.’

An amazing story of survival. With seven people in hiding and with the number of people involved in helping to keep them alive times were I did have to flip back and check to assure the who and where. As with ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’ it once again reminds we must never let this happen again.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 am

I finished the The German Midwife and although the Nazi influence is definitely there, it is more of a woman's book about survival and being a midwife no matter what the circumstances -- a very good read!

Started a new Steven King book -- outsider -- a boy dies and the coach is picked up for the murder but as you know with Steven King books -- there will be a surprised someplace! An easy read so far and I barely started.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:05 pm

I do not doubt that Steven King will see to surprises Ellie, will be watching for your review.

I have been enjoying ’ Lavender and Lovage' by Karen Booth Burns since it’s release back in November. ‘Part travel diary, part history, and all cookbook. It’s a beautiful culinary memoir packed with recipes and anecdotes from Karen’s life and travels across several continents. Karen spent her childhood in South Africa and Northumberland and much of her adult life in SW France. She has now made her home in an old Welsh schoolhouse. From South Africa and Hong Kong to North Wales, by way of Cyprus, France, Canada, the USA and more’

I first connected with Karen at two recipe sites going back to 2005, many may remember her as ‘French Tart’ known for her awesome recipes and photography. A few years back I had the pleasure of sharing a weekend at a beautiful country home overlooking Rice Lake in Ontario with Karen. A fabulous weekend gathering of foodies with gracious,warm and inviting hosts, we were charmed with our guest of honour the author of Lavender and Lovage. I see her book as written from the heart.

I have enjoyed Karen's recipes, her prize winning blog and her awesome photography, no surprise that I found her book perfect from cover to cover. A must read!

What are you reading?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 am

I have not seen Karen's book yet! Used to communicate with her regularly, but as with some friends we have lost touch. Will look for the book.

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 am

ellie wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:02 am
I finished the The German Midwife and although the Nazi influence is definitely there, it is more of a woman's book about survival and being a midwife no matter what the circumstances -- a very good read!

Started a new Steven King book -- outsider -- a boy dies and the coach is picked up for the murder but as you know with Steven King books -- there will be a surprised someplace! An easy read so far and I barely started.
Enjoyed Outsider by Steven King -- it starts out as a typical cops type of book -- murder and instantly found the murderer who was also an upstanding citizen in the community but questions arise -- did we get the right guy? A very entertaining book with questions happening all the way to the end -- will not spoil it for those who love Steven King they will also enjoy this book.

Started another psych book -- An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks. This is moving fast -- about someone who answers an ad for a psychological study -- study moves to more and more -- it is beginning to be a "can't put down" type of book to find out what happens next!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm

I hope you manage to find Karen’s book Shadows, when I ordered back in November the book itself was not yet available in Canada not wanting to wait I have it on my Cloud Reader, and yes I will be ordering the book to have close at hand. It's a great cookbook and a great read. A keeper.
I spent two weeks, a week in June the following year a week in September at that lovely country home overlooking Rice Lake in Ontario. Beautiful lake, beautiful gardens a perfect setting for a gathering. A weekend gathering of fun and food and Karen as awesome in person as on the recipe sites, like spending a weekend with an old friend.

Ellie, I checked my holds, remains still 50 for Washington Black and 33 for Stephen King’s 'Outsider' at the library, not quite as long for the books on e hold. You review has me hoping that the wait time will move right along!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:33 am

Looking though the CBC 2019 list I have to wonder how I missed not only one but three books by a Saskatchewan author. On hold at our local library,‘Indian Ernie: The Unexpected Cop’ the third book in a series of the author's career in policing in both the Military Police and then in the Saskatoon Police Services.
His first book, Indian Ernie: Perspectives on Policing and Leadership’ was followed by ‘More Indian Ernie: Insights From The Streets’ and were well received. I am looking forward to this 2019 release and will follow up on the series. Not sure how available these books will be at libraries across the country but they are also available at Amazon.

Winter is the perfect time to spend an evening with a good book, hoping more of you will come on in and share what books have caught your attention and have made for a good read. Fiction or nonfiction, serious, light or funny be sure to share!

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Just starting another Jane Harper book - The Lost Man --about 2 brothers and family secrets.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Jane Harper should see to a great read Ellie! While waiting for my library holds tonight’s read will be from my collection, ‘Saving Sadie - How a Dog That No One Wanted Inspired The World’ by Joal Dauer
or this mornings Book Bub offering ‘Mother Knows Best? The Truth About Mom's Well-Meaning (But Not Always Accurate) Advice’ by Sue Castle. Only has a few reviews but ‘seeing “So funny! What really caught me was “Did you know a ring around the moon means rain?” Now I have to find out what else I’ve missed! I am so ready for a truly funny laugh out loud book. One can always hope …
What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:58 am

Memories from 2015 popped up this morning, a time when eye issues saw to my reading very limited not only to books but newspapers, magazines, labels and online as well. Having an awesome ophthalmologist for well over 25 years, along with being an ever optimistic that day saw to a great appointment oh so promising. The surgery was almost healed and the best news ever the cornea was healing, the retina on my right eye on hold.

We are so fortunate these days that we can read our books on our computers with enlarged screens. I will always remember hearing “there is only so much that could be done with prescription lenses, I am sorry but think to those who are not able to read at all.” While I will never be able to read the number of books as I did I will never take reading for granted.

Remains a number of books are not ebooks which for me are so difficult to read and slow going and even times on screen cannot read near as many as I would like. Basically I have to choose so I go with non fiction with fiction on a more limited scale. Along with non fiction there are great novels out there and am hoping our members will come on in and share fiction, humour and non fiction and as well. Please join in.