What Are You Reading 2019

ellie

Re: What Are You Reading 2019

Post by ellie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Just starting "The Island of Sea Women" by Lisa See - historical novel that is different - takes place on a Korean island of Jeju where women work the sea (divers and other work) and takes place in the 1930s and '40s. On the island the women are in charge and the men take care of the children -- I think it should be an interesting book.

After this a hold just came through -- "the Current " by Tim Johnson - a who done it type of book -- takes place in the north and women die in a river.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu May 02, 2019 9:28 am

Thank you for reminding me of Lisa See Ellie. Checking online soon had me remember reading her 'Shangai Girls' a good many years ago. I will be adding her to my 'to read list'

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 am

My last read was 'The Lost Girls'by John Glatt ‘ the truly amazing story of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight, who were kidnapped, imprisoned for almost a decade and their miraculous escape.’ This is true account which saw to one lot of coverage back in 2013. A parents nightmare how what seemed an innocent befriending by a friends father led to a nightmare that took over ten years to see them home. Hopefully their story will have people not only report the unusual but follow through to assure that victims of kidnapping are given that chance to escape.

One of my library holds arrived yesterday which has me looking forward to 'Life Will Be The Death Of Me' by Chelsea Chandler. I do not watch one lot of telvision so am not at all familiar with the late-night talk show she hosted on the E! network from 2007 to 2014. Said to be brutally honest along with hilarious and funny. Hoping for the most part that this is lighthearted and funny.
What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 am

For most part a chilly spring here on the prairies but is thankfully starting to green finally allowing garden time for those of us who garden. As I do each year especially as planting time nears out come my favourite gardening books. I am not about to admit to how many there are on my library shelves but my absolute favourites are Patrick Lima’s ‘Perennial Garden Flowers For Three Seasons' which I purchased back in 1989 and ‘The Art Of Perennial Gardening’ both are like walking in an enchanted garden with a friend, beautifully illustrated and inspire. This week great to see the tiny Iris recticulata found on the cover of ‘Perennial Flowers’ which I planted last fall in the new garden bed blooming near my coming and goings.

Have to love that the beautiful combinations of plantings found in these books have great ideas for large county gardens and can be used in smaller scale in backyard gardens as well. You may find them at your library and see they are available over at Amazon. That they are still available has one know they have stood the test of time. Happy Reading and Happy Gardening.
What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat May 11, 2019 11:11 am

While very chilly this morning spring gardening has been a go this week, wouldn’t you guess with just getting a good start on the Chelsea Chandler book 'Life Will Be The Death of Me' that arrived earlier in the week soon after Terrie Todd’s 'The Silver Suitcase’ arrived at our local library, the weekend sees another two from my e library Lisa Gardner’s ‘Never Tell’ and Roxanne Veletzos ’The Girl They Left Behind' I am guessing there must have been cancellations to have them come so much sooner than expected.

Decisions, decisions, suspect I will set aside the Chandler book for now and choose between the last two. But first on the agenda today is heading to the city for a mother daughter garden shop and then some garden time if it warms. If it stays this chilly or rains you can guess what I have planned for later!
What are you reading?

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Sat May 11, 2019 2:07 pm

I am slowly reading Assasinations : Book 1 of The Orphan's Tale by D M Wilder

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue May 14, 2019 9:08 am

Welcome to Recipezazz WhatamI gonnaeatnext, so good to see you stop by. Not being familiar with D M Wilder I will be looking forward to your review. Wilder's Egyptian series caught my eye, have added her to my to read list.

Over the weekend read 'The Girl They Left Behind' by Roxanne Veletzos, a historical novel based on the authors own mother and grandparents life in war torn Romania, her mother was left on a doorstep with the hopes someone will take her in and she would be safe. An excellent read. Just got started on a Lisa Gardener book recommended by both ellie and Shadows, 'Never Tell' Reading the reviews it was suggested to read 'Find Her' first, which I did. I am now a Lisa Gardener fan!

Hope you managed to see your posting problem cleared and are back on ellie, I always look forward to your reviews and recommends and hope others will join in as well and share their favorite reads.
What are you reading?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Am reading a true story about young girls who were disfigured by the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. It's called Hiroshima Maidens by Rodney Barker. Very sad but inspiring.

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Gerry wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:08 am
Welcome to Recipezazz WhatamI gonnaeatnext, so good to see you stop by. Not being familiar with D M Wilder I will be looking forward to your review. Wilder's Egyptian series caught my eye, have added her to my to read list.

Over the weekend read 'The Girl They Left Behind' by Roxanne Veletzos, a historical novel based on the authors own mother and grandparents life in war torn Romania, her mother was left on a doorstep with the hopes someone will take her in and she would be safe. An excellent read. Just got started on a Lisa Gardener book recommended by both ellie and Shadows, 'Never Tell' Reading the reviews it was suggested to read 'Find Her' first, which I did. I am now a Lisa Gardener fan!

Hope you managed to see your posting problem cleared and are back on ellie, I always look forward to your reviews and recommends and hope others will join in as well and share their favorite reads.
What are you reading?
I really enjoy historical fiction. . That sounds like something I would enjoy reading.

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Mon May 20, 2019 10:13 pm

lovinretirement wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm
Am reading a true story about young girls who were disfigured by the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. It's called Hiroshima Maidens by Rodney Barker. Very sad but inspiring.
That sounds like a good read, but I have to be very choosy as to when I read sad books.