2018 What Are You Reading

CoffeeB

Re: 2018 What Are You Reading

Post by CoffeeB » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:28 pm

This triology of books are excellent...the first one being a movie. I"m sure they'll make movies of the next 2 as well.
By JoJo Moyes:
Me Before You
Me After You
Still Me

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Love to see new book recommends, thank you lovinretirment and CoffeeB. Lovinretirement, I will be passing along Christy Barritt’s three-volume ‘Lantern Beach Mystery Novels’ to my suspense loving friends just in case they missed them.
Having added so many BookBub books to my Cloudreader I decided to check into my elibrary, happy to see changes with more and more books now available. CoffeeB, after reading the reviews on JoJo Moye's ' Me Before You is now downloaded from Library2Go. Finally got to Educated‘a memoir by Tara Westover. So enjoying and then onto 'Me Before You' and more of the garden books for inspiration as I think we just may soon see to warming and garden time here on the prairies.
What are you reading?

breezermom

Post by breezermom » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:23 pm

I just found this forum here! So excited. I love to read and read a bit of everything. So can't wait to browse through all the recommendations.

Here are my first two:

A Man Called Ove - Fredrick Backman
A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles

And for any of you mystery lovers that also love dogs, I recommend the Chet the Dog series by Spencer Quinn. The first one is "Dog on It", the second is "Thereby Hangs a Tail", and the third is "To Fetch a Thief". and on and on they go! Fun reading if you love dogs and often wonder what is going on behind those amazing eyes!

CoffeeB

Post by CoffeeB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:07 pm

breezermom wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:23 pm
I just found this forum here! So excited. I love to read and read a bit of everything. So can't wait to browse through all the recommendations.

Here are my first two:

A Man Called Ove - Fredrick Backman
A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles

And for any of you mystery lovers that also love dogs, I recommend the Chet the Dog series by Spencer Quinn. The first one is "Dog on It", the second is "Thereby Hangs a Tail", and the third is "To Fetch a Thief". and on and on they go! Fun reading if you love dogs and often wonder what is going on behind those amazing eyes!
I had a hard time getting "into" A Man Called Ove.. But I'm going to look into A Gentleman in Moscow. Sounds interesting.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 pm

So happy you found us Breezermom! Having read 'Beartown' I should have added the Fred Backman books to my save list for his lighthearted heartwarming offerings. Thank you for the heads up, it had me head over to Amazon and check out the Backman books. Found I couldn’t resist ordering Backman’s 'My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologies ' Has anyone read this one? I suspect Spenser Quinn's 'To Fetch A Thief' will be another must read.
What are you reading?

CookingJudy

Post by CookingJudy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:15 pm

I have not stared this book yet I hope this weekend Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres.

It's about the Italian and German occupation of Cephalonia in World War II. I don't know why by I love war stories and movies

sweetcheeks

Post by sweetcheeks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 pm

An oldie but a goodie :) The Color Purple. Book by by Alice Walker.

** The power of female relationships is at the heart of this Pulitzer Prize-winning book about the leading part sisterhood can play in encouraging women to be the best person they can be. Set mainly in rural Georgia in the 1930s, it follows the life of poor African-American girl Celie and the sexism, racism and violence she endures. Deeply troubling throughout, but inspirational and life-affirming too.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Good to see come in and see what other members are reading! CookingJudy, Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres sounds like a great read please stop back and review it for us. Sweetcheeks, a good reminder to check out the oldies, I enjoyed Alice Walker’s Pulitzer Prize winner ‘The Color Purple’ Plan is to one day to take the time to watch the movie.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:27 pm

Having just read Tara Westovers incredible and powerful memoir Educated I can see why this book is a #1 International Bestseller. This is the first memoir that had me go online checking to assure I had not purchased a novel, her childhood makes for tears, while her courage and determination see this memoir with a happy ending.

‘Tara Westover was seventeen when she first set foot in a classroom. She had no birth certificate and no medical records and had never been enrolled in school. Her first day of university was her first day in school—ever—and she would eventually win an esteemed fellowship from Cambridge and graduate with a PhD’ What an accomplishment for a child who had not even been home schooled. A great read from the opening page to the closing.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Gerry wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:27 pm
Having just read Tara Westovers incredible and powerful memoir Educated I can see why this book is a #1 International Bestseller. This is the first memoir that had me go online checking to assure I had not purchased a novel, her childhood makes for tears, while her courage and determination see this memoir with a happy ending.

‘Tara Westover was seventeen when she first set foot in a classroom. She had no birth certificate and no medical records and had never been enrolled in school. Her first day of university was her first day in school—ever—and she would eventually win an esteemed fellowship from Cambridge and graduate with a PhD’ What an accomplishment for a child who had not even been home schooled. A great read from the opening page to the closing.
What are you reading?
Just finished this one and I agree a great read! Now I am back to Lisa Gardner books -- this one I think will be a wonderful thriller: "Look for Me" with ins and outs everywhere - a family died, a girl missing, along with the story of a kidnapped girl who is now living with her own nightmares and the detective search for the missing girl among the clues! Once again I don't think Lisa Gardner will disappoint!