2018 What Are You Reading

Gerry

Re: 2018 What Are You Reading

Post by Gerry » Fri May 18, 2018 10:04 am

Hoping to find some quiet time to read 'French Fried: one man's move to France‘a memoir by New York Times bestselling author Chris Dolley. While there are mixed reviews I expect Dolley’s account of his move with his wife and five pets lock stock and barrel to the south of France to make for a light and relaxing read.
What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu May 24, 2018 11:54 am

Took some evening time on the weekend to enjoy ‘French Fried’ by New York Times bestselling author Chris Dolley. Another book that sees that truth can be stranger than fiction! It was an eventful move to France and settling into a house needing much in the way of repair along with needing to learn the language and dealing with a major theft 'Chris's identity was stolen along with their life savings. Abandoned by the police forces of four countries who all insisted the crime originated in someone else's jurisdiction, he had to solve the crime himself. Which he did, and got a book out of it - the International bestseller, 'French Fried: One Man's Move to France With Too Many Animals and An Identity Thief'

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu May 24, 2018 12:49 pm

Just finished The Escape Artist by Brad Meltzer--a very fast read -- thriller type of book with a lot of surprises! Government with a bit of magic thrown in.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Currently reading " Dying To Forget ( The Station Book 1 )" by Trish Marie Dawson. Interesting premise with poor editing in Kindle form, but so far worth the read. I won't say any more because it will give away the story.

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon May 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Just started "All the Beautiful Lies" by Peter Swanson. Not sure about this one yet - a lot of things happening but so far nothing is really connecting.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:13 am

Looks like we all had a busy summer, warm and sunny sees me outdoors, this summer an exciting time seeing the garden rejuvenation about done which unfortunately made for little in the way of reading or reviews. These past September days have seen to a real chill in the air, this morning woke to snow covering the ground, overcast with snow still falling. Hoping the quilts covering my tomatoes and pots and baskets see them survive for a few more weeks. Sorry to see the season end but remind myself I am lucky it’s warm and cozy in here, time to make some comfort food and enjoy some reading time.

Have been adding to my Cloud Reader all summer, today a perfect read day. Looking to something light hearted thinking either 'Not in Front of the Corgis. The Secret of Life Behind the Royal Curtain by Brian Hoey or The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly. A physician's First Year by Matt McCarthy.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Just finished "The Storyteller's Secret" by Sejal Badani -- this is a must read taking place both in India and America. Some info on the caste system in India, but it mostly about finding about herself and her family's secrets.

Next I have some of the political books that I read a little and put down. I will be starting Washington Black by Esi Edugyan -- but don't have high hopes for this one either --historical novel that is about a slave that rises to be free.

Wondering about the "real doctor will see you shortly" though -- sounds like it might be interesting.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi ellie, looks like our 'fall library' is officially open! I had expected to spend this weekend in the garden instead snowed most of the day, definitely not being an outdoor day decided to spend the afternoon reading. So much for looking to Brian Hoey's 'Not in Front of The Corgis' as a light hearted read, being super busy at the time I didn’t check the reviews. The title intrigued but the book itself had nothing to do with the corgis, gossipy yes but certainly not humorous or amusing as I was expecting it to be. I was disappointed but that may just be me, for any one interested in the lifestyle of the rich and famous it could be a fun read. Having just now read the reviews for ' The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly' sounds good but am guessing it is not the light heated read as I looking to for this weekend, setting it aside for a winter read. Going through my Cloud Reader library Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools ' by Victoria Tweed seems a good choice for an indoor September snow day read.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:10 am

Gerry wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:28 pm
Hi ellie, looks like our 'fall library' is officially open! I had expected to spend this weekend in the garden instead snowed most of the day, definitely not being an outdoor day decided to spend the afternoon reading. So much for looking to Brian Hoey's 'Not in Front of The Corgis' as a light hearted read, being super busy at the time I didn’t check the reviews. The title intrigued but the book itself had nothing to do with the corgis, gossipy yes but certainly not humorous or amusing as I was expecting it to be. I was disappointed but that may just be me, for any one interested in the lifestyle of the rich and famous it could be a fun read. Having just now read the reviews for ' The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly' sounds good but am guessing it is not the light heated read as I looking to for this weekend, setting it aside for a winter read. Going through my Cloud Reader library Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools ' by Victoria Tweed seems a good choice for an indoor September snow day read.
What are you reading?
Snow? Although the leaves have started to fall we are still in the 80s! Can't wait for Fall!

Started Washington Black and I think it will be pretty good.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:49 pm

Yes ellie, snow not just a dusting but looking like mid winter. Hoping to soon see it gone and see to a nice long fall! I always check out the book suggestions, went over to Amazon for 'Washington Black' and shortly after saw this on CBC "The UK's most prestigious literary prize, was announced and one Canadian made the shortlist. Canadian novelist Esi Edugyan has made the shortlist for the 2018 Man Booker Prize for her novel Washington Black. The winner will be revealed on October 16th 2018." Looking forward to your review!