2018 What Are You Reading

Gerry

2018 What Are You Reading

Post by Gerry » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:34 pm

Today is the beginning of a new year, what better way to start the New Year than with a good book. I will admit to spending New Years Eve watching Paddington Bear and Moana, for this afternoon’s New Years Day movie we watched Hidden Figures. So enjoyed the movie I was off to Amazon to order the ebook.

The movie was such that my first read of the year will be ‘Hidden Figures: The American Dream and Untold Story of Black Women Who Helped Win The Space Race’ the phenomenal story of the black mathematicians at NASA whose calculations helped fuel some of America’s greatest achievements in space’

If the book is as good as the movie I am in for a great read. What are you reading?

Luvcookn

Re: 2018 What Are You Reading

Post by Luvcookn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:31 am

When GS was here for Christmas he finished reading Origin by Dan Brown and gave it me to read. It is the next book in the Robert Langdon series...that started with The DaVinci Code.

Brown is a master at intellectual suspense and I have thoroughly enjoyed his books. So this one will not disappoint either. Just waiting for a quiet day to start it. ;)

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:54 am

Luvcookn wrote:When GS was here for Christmas he finished reading Origin by Dan Brown and gave it me to read. It is the next book in the Robert Langdon series...that started with The DaVinci Code.

Brown is a master at intellectual suspense and I have thoroughly enjoyed his books. So this one will not disappoint either. Just waiting for a quiet day to start it. ;)
I was wondering about this book too as I like Dan Brown most of the time.

I recently finished Orphan #8 by Kim van Alkemade -- about orphanages in the 1920s and the experiments they constructed on the children -- it was disturbing but a very good book and moved along pretty quickly. As all historical fiction it is based on an actual orphanage in New York during the time period.

Now I am back to a James Patterson book: Count to Ten: A Private Novel. It was slow going at first but then picked up a bit. For anyone familiar with James Patterson books it is about police and gruesome murders -- a thriller -- not a fast mover but still a good read.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am

Anything by Hope Callaghan. She writes what you would call "cozy mysteries". Usually her characters are middle aged women who fancy themselves as amateur detectives. Light and sometimes funny reading.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Can't go wrong reading Origin by Brown! Fantastic read better then the movie!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Great to see a good number of recommends to chose from. Patti I know my Robert Langdon fans will be delighted to have a heads up on Origin by Dan Brown. Many of my friends are also mystery lovers lovinretirement, I will be sure they all are aware of Hope Callahans mystery novels.

Ellie, reading the reviews on Kim van Alkemade’s Orphan#8 sees it added to my Cloud Reader. I am sure the New Year sees to a number of books being read at your house Shadows, be sure to share your reads.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 pm

This morning Book Bub saw to another to my Cloud Reader, a Taylor Calwell book. Along with nonfiction I love historical fiction as well, before eye issues I read many of Taylor Caldwell's books. One of my favorite authors. On for a 2018 read is her 'Cermony of The Innocent

Remember reading reviews suggesting Taylor Caldwell’s writing was such that it was suggested she was physic. Seems I missed ‘Search For The Soul: Taylor Caldwells Physic Lives’ My library nor my e-library has the book, seems to be available only in hardcover and very pricey. I need to think on it as yellowed pages with small print would be next to impossible for me to read.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm

This morning’s Book Bub once again offered books I could not resist, have been wanting to add some lighter reading to my year, today added Lyle Black Ward’s 'How to Succeed Without Really Dying ' and James Egan’s 500 Things People Believe That Aren’t True' Those who know me know I will be double checking those facts!

I know, like I really need more books, seeing I already have more than enough books in my stash to keep me reading for years!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

A quiet and relaxing afternoon of library time and in no way being political saw to 'Fire and Fury: Inside the White House ' by Michael Wolff on hold at my library. Unavailable at our e library, if the print is too small will have to do an Amazon order. One can always hope!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:24 pm

Book Bub once again offered a book I could not resist ordering, ‘To Leave a Memory’ The forward had me at ‘If you enjoy films like "On Golden Pond" and "Ordinary People," you'll love 'To Leave a Memory’ by Pat Dunlop Evans’ clever dialogue, surprising humor and the poignant ending’

Finally finding some quiet time to get back to ‘Hidden Figures’ an awesome story of the challenges and achievements made by women at NASA during the race to space.
What are you reading?