2018 What Are You Reading

Gerry

Re: 2018 What Are You Reading

Post by Gerry » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 pm

These snow days have not only made for catch up time indoors but relax time as well. Last nights read had me find light hearted! Victoria Twead is the New York Times bestselling author of 'Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools'and now find subsequent books in the Old Fools series. Found this a wonderfully light hearted memoir of two retirees move to Spain, purchasing a decrepit home in a small village with ground floors, no kitchen and a non working bathroom. The rebuild in itself had so many laugh out loud moments I found myself checking to assure myself that this indeed was an memoir!

I have to agree with Justin Aldridge Eye On Spain “Loved it funny and impossible to put down’ Having purchased this on back in 2016 and finally got to reading Victoria Twead’s adventurous move to Spain saw me absolutely delighted to find she not only has a sequel but a series. Just added her sequel to my Cloud Reader ‘ Two Old Fools - Ole'
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:44 am

Gerry wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:49 pm
Yes ellie, snow not just a dusting but looking like mid winter. Hoping to soon see it gone and see to a nice long fall! I always check out the book suggestions, went over to Amazon for 'Washington Black' and shortly after saw this on CBC "The UK's most prestigious literary prize, was announced and one Canadian made the shortlist. Canadian novelist Esi Edugyan has made the shortlist for the 2018 Man Booker Prize for her novel Washington Black. The winner will be revealed on October 16th 2018." Looking forward to your review!
Finished Washington Black last night and this is a must read! It is story of one boy -- "Wash" and his adventures as a slave who went on to have many adventures from flying in a cloud-breaker to going all over the world finding a new adventure and way of life along the way.

Next is An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena -- back to the thrillers/who-done it type of book

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Looking to your review on An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena ellie.

With the early snow followed by a heavy snowfall early in September, the October days in the minus I decided time to enjoy evening reads. Wanting a light and a fun read I decided on Victoria Tweads’s Chickens, Mules and Two old Fools a British couple’s retirement move to Spain, purchased back in March of 2016. Now have to wonder what took me so long!

Lighthearted, entertaining and a fun read enticed me to read the series, Two Old Fools - Ole - Two Old Fools and a Camel - Two Old Fools in Spain Again and Two Old Fools inTurmoil

Added the prequels One Young Fool in South Africa by Joe Twead and One Young Fool In Dorset to my reader. I am finding Joe Tweed's childhood both sad and lonely but knowing what a wonderful family life he and Victoria shared had me know all ends well!

Looking to read Laura Ingalls Wilder’s 'Libertarian on the Prairie and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Marylou Angela.
What are you reading?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm

I've been going through about 3 books on my Kindle a week. Most have been free from Book Bub. None have moved me to write a review here, not to say they were not good just not exceptional.

Misa

Post by Misa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:10 am

The last book I have read for pleasure was actually a children's novel - aimed at preteen/young adult audience, but all the teachers at my school are quite hooked on this author's work - Willa of the Wood, by Robert Beatty. Mr. Beatty also wrote the Serafina books set at Biltmore Estate in North Carolina and the surrounding area; he started by writing the stories for his daughters. I quite enjoyed the Serafina series (the third one, not so much as the first two), but Willa is a very different protagonist. I enjoyed Willa better than Serafina, as a bit of shock of my co-workers. This story weaves a unique mythology that is reminiscent of many fantasy novels, but is very much grounded in the history of the Smoky Mountains, my part of the world.

While the school year is in full swing, I don't have much time to read literature that isn't aimed at the lower elementary set. I am going to try audiobooks again for the commute to and from work for a wee bit if I can. I listened to several this way when my drive was longer; but I still spend enough time in the car I think audiobooks might be still enjoyable. I just picked up The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore on Audible.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Misa wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:10 am
The last book I have read for pleasure was actually a children's novel - aimed at preteen/young adult audience, but all the teachers at my school are quite hooked on this author's work - Willa of the Wood, by Robert Beatty. Mr. Beatty also wrote the Serafina books set at Biltmore Estate in North Carolina and the surrounding area; he started by writing the stories for his daughters. I quite enjoyed the Serafina series (the third one, not so much as the first two), but Willa is a very different protagonist. I enjoyed Willa better than Serafina, as a bit of shock of my co-workers. This story weaves a unique mythology that is reminiscent of many fantasy novels, but is very much grounded in the history of the Smoky Mountains, my part of the world.

While the school year is in full swing, I don't have much time to read literature that isn't aimed at the lower elementary set. I am going to try audiobooks again for the commute to and from work for a wee bit if I can. I listened to several this way when my drive was longer; but I still spend enough time in the car I think audiobooks might be still enjoyable. I just picked up The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore on Audible.
I enjoyed The Radium Girls -- it was fast moving. I read almost everything on Kindle.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 pm

I enjoy seeing new book reviews, find some great reads as well a good number to pass along to my family and friends.

Been awhile since I used my Library To Go, finding great selections on Book Bub, most are very inexpensive giving me a great selection on my Reader to read when I find time. When the price range goes up I for the most part go to my e library. Just put 'The Radium Girls' on hold.

I am still on Joe Twead's 'One Young Fool in Africa' finding it a slow go, it is as his wife Victoria warned a good number of times a touch too wordy. I keep at it for the comments Victoria adds. I do hope One Young Fool in Dorset will be another light and fun read.
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Just finished "The Edge of Lost" by Kristina McMorris - very good book about Shanley Keagan and his adventures -- from Ireland to America -- caught in a web of crime and lands in Alcatraz--this is a must read!

I also read "Sold on a Monday" by Kristina McMorris which is very different than the title sounds like -- another fantastic book--historical fiction about a sad time in our history -- depression era. I need to find more books by this author. Now I am reading "Bridge of Scarlet Leaves" by the same author -- this one is about the Japanese internment camp and a relationship between a Japanese man and an American woman -- falling in love.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:08 am

Missa I ordered ‘The Radium Girls’ by Kate Moore from my e library and found it a page turner. Incredible how corporate greed knowingly allowed these woman to suffer excruciating pain, suffering and loss of life. Kate Moore honors these women for seeking truth and justice allowing truth to prevail. I was appalled at the lies, fraud and cover ups and absolute disregard for life the corporation had and have to wonder how they managed to sleep at night.

Ellie, I see Esi Edugyan won the top prize for ‘Washington Black’ 100,000 Scotiabank Giller Prize which was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize and the Writers’ Trust fiction award. “the novel follows the saga of an 11-year-old boy who escapes slavery at a Barbados sugar plantation with the help of the owner’s kinder brother” Sounds like a great read.

What are you reading?

Misa

Post by Misa » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:39 pm

I recently finished The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London by Christopher Skaife. The book was wonderfully written in a conversational tone and was part autobiography, part history book of London, the Tower and beyond, as well as stories about the ravens - a few past, mostly current residents, their care, and personalities. I think this book would be of interest to any Anglophile, people who enjoy history, or have an interest in birds, particularly corvids.