2018 What Are You Reading

Shadows1

Re: 2018 What Are You Reading

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:59 am

Currently reading " Triple Shot Box" by Charles Alverson. This is a 3 book box set that I have not been able to put down. Alverson is an old style crime writer, not politically correct at all. He injects humor into his writing at the most unusual times and it compliments his fast pace story lines.
So far great reads, :ugeek:

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 pm

A Cold Blooded Business by Marek Fuchs is said to be a chilling exploration into the darkest depths of the human psyche. 'In 1959, Olathe, Kansas was made famous by the murder of the Clutter family and Truman Capote's ground-breaking book on the crime, In Cold Blood.' (Checking details before I ordered the book tells me the Clutter family murder took place in Holcomb Kansas, the murderers drove from Olathe which was about 400 miles away) There are a number of documentaries related to this case that two decades later took two cold case officers to see justice done. Checking further had me doubt that true justice has been done for David Harmon.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... 12182.html

Another that makes for an excellent read is Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression by Mildred Armstrong Kalish, ‘set against the backdrop of the Depression, captures a vanished way of traditional living and a specific moment in American history.’
What are you reading?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Shadows1 wrote:Currently reading " Triple Shot Box" by Charles Alverson. This is a 3 book box set that I have not been able to put down. Alverson is an old style crime writer, not politically correct at all. He injects humor into his writing at the most unusual times and it compliments his fast pace story lines.
So far great reads, :ugeek:
Done! Now my wife is hooked on them!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:46 am

Shadows,'Triple Shot Box 'by Charles Alverson sounds like a great winter read.
I recently finished 'Orphan # 8' by Kim van Alkemade a book recommended by ellie about orphanages in the 1920s and the experiments they constructed on the children. It was disturbing but a very good book. As all historical fiction, it is based on an actual orphanage in New York during the time period

I also enjoyed Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During The Great Depression ' by Mildred Armstrong Kalish, ‘set against the backdrop of the Depression, a memoir of her Iowa childhood, set against the backdrop of the Depression, captures a vanished way of traditional living and a specific moment in American history.' It made for an excellent read.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm

I am now reading Girl at the End of the World’ which ‘provides an unflinching look at life growing up inside a fundamentalist cult. Not until she was grown and married did she find the courage to attempt the unthinkable. To leave.’

As much as I remind myself that I have more than enough books saved to my Cloud Reader most of you know there is always one more that has to be added to our evergrowing must reads. With 'Educated' being compared to Jeanette Wall’s memoir 'The Glass Castle' and 'Half Broke Horses' sees to Tara Westover’s memoir 'Educated ' a must read which I have on pre-order for February 20th. If anything like the Wall books it should make for an unforgettable read.
What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am

This morning’s BookBub offering saw to Amy Tan’s The Joyluck Club ‘The Library Journal: What a wonderful book!” The stories of four mothers and four daughters intertwine across generations in this New York Times bestseller. “Full of magic” (Los Angeles Times) and perfect for book clubs.’ Having read both Amy Tan’s The Joyluck Club and The Kitchen God's Wife , I highly recommend them. Both are on my to be read again list, with so many books to be read that particular list of mine is very short!

Back in the day shortly after reading the Amy Tan books a family member was gifted with a brass set, the brass wall hanging a face only a mother could love. I took one look and said that has to be the kitchen God’s wife! That said shortly after it hung above my stove for years and years, always bringing a smile to my face when I thought to the Amy Tan books. My 'Kitchen God's Wife' happened to one of the few things that didn’t make the move and surprisingly I miss it!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am

When 'Sunlight on My Shadow: A Birthmother's Journey From Secrecy to Renewal' a memoir by Judy Liautaud was first recommended it took me back to when we moved to the city just off Regina’s Dewdney Avenue. I soon became curious when walking by one of the properties never did I see any movement it seemed lonely and mysterious, finally in hushed tones I found it was a home for unwed mothers. I was recently told they had a lovely vegetable garden so am guessing any outdoor time was only in the backyard.

Admittedly found some chapters in 'Sunlight on My Shadow' not quite what I was expecting but on the whole written from the heart. I had forgotten about Grace Haven, going online found it is now an Historical site. One story printed in the Leader Post has me hope to see this emotional reunion of family published - http://leaderpost.com/feature/secret-siblings
What are you reading?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

I LOVE clean mystery/suspense novels. Right now I'm reading the first 3 volumes of "Lantern Beach Mystery Novels" by Christy Barritt.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Good to see you drop by and share lovinretirement, sounds like you have some great reading hours ahead of you. Here shortly after reading’Sunlight on My Shadow: A Birthmother's Journey From Secrecy to Renewal' BookBub.com offered ‘One Perfect Day: A Mother's Story of Adoption and Reunion' by romance novelist Diane Burke, in which she shares her life story in a moving memoir of giving her son up for adoption and ‘the lengths her son traveled to discover his mother’s identity and reach out to her, not knowing whether she’d want to meet him after nearly four decades of separation. It all comes together in one perfect day’ It made for a page turner. I cannot imagine the heartache that touched the lives of these two mothers and the courage it took to share their stories.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

I am not at all being political but our daily news sees the world around us still promoting white supremacy, antisemitism and hate. It had me read Aron Goldfarb's 'Maybe You Will Survive' a biography of the Holocaust. After escaping from a forced labor camp, Aron and his brother lived underground almost starving on the estate controlled by the Gestapo, and in snow banks to survive, seeing to the loss of family and friends.

Along with all the evil and fear the love of family and friends win. Once again we have to remember it is not the countries but evil promoting evil followed by fear itself. When are we ever going to learn. Today may be a good time to think to reading Aron Goldfarb's story of survival.

Plan for the week is to check some new gardening books to inspire with hopes we soon see to spring here on the prairies.
What are you reading?