2017 What Are You Reading

ellie

Re: 2017 What Are You Reading

Post by ellie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:39 pm

I usually read historical and mysteries but now I am reading "The Locals" by Jonathan Lee. It is pretty good but not a fast read. I have a James Patterson and Michael Connelly after I finish this one -- which is more like what I usually read. I do like reading about Henry VIII's wives though and there are a lot of books on them.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Gerry wrote:Enjoy the recommends and share them with family and friends, giving them a heads up on good reads!

I am now reading 'Stranger In the Woods' by Michael Finkel the incredible story of Christopher Knight. “In 1986, before he retreated to the Maine woods, 20-year-old Christopher lived and worked near Boston, Massachusetts in the security industry, then Christopher Thomas Knight spent almost 30 years of his life without encountering another human being when he decided to sacrifice the advantages of modern life and live deep inside the Maine woods. During his time in the wilderness, people only heard about Christopher’s life through gossip or reported sightings – only he truly knows what happened for those three decades without human contact.”

Finding it a good choice for a summer read.
I am going to look for this one for kindle.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Shadows, many of my friends and family love mystery and suspense, will be passing along ‘Cesspool’ by Phil M. Williams,‘Chimera’by Celia Grace,‘The Ridge’ by John Rector as well as ‘From a Dead Sleep’ as I know they have enjoyed many of your selections over the past couple years.

Good to see you ellie. After reading articles of the strange happenings in Maine over the years, I was really surprised to come upon Michael Finkles ‘The Stranger In the Woods’ Thirty years without human contact is incredible. I have the Kindle copy from Amazon.

Will be watcing for your review on the James Patterson book, have a friend who is a great fan of his. Have read a number of books about Henry VIII's wives, what I hope to do one day is start with number one and work my way through all eight!

I too like a change of pace when it comes to reading, that has me looking forward to 'Midlife Happy Hour' by Elaine Ambroise. Should be light hearted and funny!

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:25 am

Gerry wrote:Shadows, many of my friends and family love mystery and suspense, will be passing along ‘Cesspool’ by Phil M. Williams,‘Chimera’by Celia Grace,‘The Ridge’ by John Rector as well as ‘From a Dead Sleep’ as I know they have enjoyed many of your selections over the past couple years.

Good to see you ellie. After reading articles of the strange happenings in Maine over the years, I was really surprised to come upon Michael Finkles ‘The Stranger In the Woods’ Thirty years without human contact is incredible. I have the Kindle copy from Amazon.

Will be watcing for your review on the James Patterson book, have a friend who is a great fan of his. Have read a number of books about Henry VIII's wives, what I hope to do one day is start with number one and work my way through all eight!

I too like a change of pace when it comes to reading, that has me looking forward to 'Midlife Happy Hour' by Elaine Ambroise. Should be light hearted and funny!
Stranger in the Woods is available through the library loan program so it is next on my list. I order books through the library program when I can. I also like reading books about New England so this one I am looking forward to.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:58 pm

I too order books from the library ellie, while we only have a small library here in town we are fortunate to be able to order from the main library and do a pick up which is a big plus.

Still having eye issues I only order from the main library when an ebook is unavailable from either our e-library or on Kindle at Amazon. I have a hold on 'THe Education of Will' a memoir of a woman and her dog by Patricia B. McConnell. Fortunately they had a copy available in large print. I miss the actual books but appreciate the ease of reading on my computer screen!

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Gerry wrote:I too order books from the library ellie, while we only have a small library here in town we are fortunate to be able to order from the main library and do a pick up which is a big plus.

Still having eye issues I only order from the main library when an ebook is unavailable from either our e-library or on Kindle at Amazon. I have a hold on 'THe Education of Will' a memoir of a woman and her dog by Patricia B. McConnell. Fortunately they had a copy available in large print. I miss the actual books but appreciate the ease of reading on my computer screen!
That sounds like a good one too as I like Patricia McConnell.

The books I get from the library are for the kindle -- it ends up going through Amazon for the e-books but I don't have to pay for them. The problem is I can only have them for 21 days - sometimes that is enough, other times I am only half finished when the library takes the book back!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Our library and ebooks both have due dates too ellie, which is why I enjoy BookBub with it's great selection and low prices which I order through Amazon and can read at my leisure. I also get the rest through Amazon as well but they do cost more. Right now I should have enough great reading to get me through the next couple of years, all the while wanting to read them all!

‘The Education of Will’ caught my eye, reading the reviews knew it was a book I didn’t want to miss. With such a short window of gardening time here on the prairies I have caught up in putting my garden to bed. My library copy just arrived, having an early evening and going to sit back and relax with Patricia McConnells ‘The Education of Will’ which is looking very promising!

"In The Education of Will, Patricia McConnell writes with unflinching honesty, vulnerability, and warmth. She wraps her reader in the highs and lows of a life lived beautifully, through gut-wrenching traumas, hard-won victories, unexpected romances, and tear-jerking setbacks. A tremendously winning memoir."
Animal lover that I am this is sure to be a good read!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:19 pm

This review is so unlike my previous reviews. Although ‘The Education of Will’ has a good many positive and glowing 5 star reviews it was not what I expected nor was it a book for me. I do not wish to discourage others from reading ‘The Education of Will’ as Patricia McConnell is an internationally recognized animal behavior expert and an excellent author.

I am guessing it was the timing or simply that I was expecting fewer lows and a lot more happy than trauma and tears. Being a McConnell fan it is a book I expect will see to another read to try and feel that of the five-star reviewers, for the most part I am sure it was being unprepared for both the author’s and Will’s traumatized and stress-filled lives.

ellie

Post by ellie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:12 am

I am currently reading A Tangled Mercy by Joy Jordan-Lake is basically historical fiction but also about a girl finding out her mother's story. It goes back and forth between 2015 and a slave's revolt in 1822. It is very good and I am enjoying it very much.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Finished reading " Secret Wife " by Gill Paul yesterday. A little slow to start but after the first 2 chapters it was hard to put down. This is historical fiction covering the fall of the Czar of Russia and his family. It jumps from modern day to the past in an easy fashion. I recommend it to history buffs and those who like a little romance.