2017 What Are You Reading

Shadows1

Re: 2017 What Are You Reading

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Nope am not familiar with it Pia.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Finished 2 books in the last week or so: "Wrath" by T.R. Ragan , the final book in a series about a mom and friends searching for her kids that have been put into danger by being put into the human trafficking loop.

"The Trapped Girl " by Robert Dugoni, a Tracy Crosswhite police mystery, also part of a series.

I recommend both books if you are into mystery's..

MsPia

Post by MsPia » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Well, I finally finished my series of 10 books from Susan Kiernan-Lewis. The Maggie Newberry mystery series is a cozy, light-hearted series that makes you feel like you’ve just been to France.
Plus an 11th one called A PROVENÇAL CHRISTMAS.
I really enjoyed them but I have to admit 10 books is way to much. The last two took me a while to finish.
When I was done I needed something different so I read" The Power of Positive Energy" by Adrian Teodoro. BAD, Bad, bad. What a waste of time.
Wrath sounds really good, Lee...but I could not read about human trafficking. I need to live in my happy bubble :?
Can you read both books as a standalone? Or have you read the series?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Both could be read as stand alone since any references to the past books are explained briefly when mentioned. Wrath does not delve into the nity-grity of human trafficking but is more the hunt for her kids. Yes I have read both series.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Enjoy the recommends and share them with family and friends, giving them a heads up on good reads!

I am now reading 'Stranger In the Woods' by Michael Finkel the incredible story of Christopher Knight. “In 1986, before he retreated to the Maine woods, 20-year-old Christopher lived and worked near Boston, Massachusetts in the security industry, then Christopher Thomas Knight spent almost 30 years of his life without encountering another human being when he decided to sacrifice the advantages of modern life and live deep inside the Maine woods. During his time in the wilderness, people only heard about Christopher’s life through gossip or reported sightings – only he truly knows what happened for those three decades without human contact.”

Finding it a good choice for a summer read.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:19 pm

I am now reading ‘Where I Live Now: A Journey Through Love and Loss to Healing and Hope’ by one of our prairie authors Sandra Butala, a special birthday gift from a family member who is a friend of Sandra's. “An intimate and uplifting book about finding renewal and hope through grief and loss. A frank, compassionate and moving memoir that offers not only solace and hope but an inspiration to those who endure profound loss.” Sandra Butala “It was an enchanting life, it was a blessed life. And of course, one day it ended.”

It brought back a flood of memories of our lifetime of farming and ranching in our beloved valley in southern Saskatchewan, a move and yes, one day it ended. Along with the memories tears, but these days there is healing. I asked “How did you ever find that book?” I t was I didn’t, it found me.

A wonderful memoir, a moving story of love, loss and healing.

limeleaf

Post by limeleaf » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:38 pm

I just started The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. It's a long historical fiction about Richard III; I went to a talk about him earlier in the week so decided to try it. Lots of characters, over 900 pages; seems pretty good so far.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Thank you for the heads up limeleaf. Having enjoyed many the historical read I found myself going through the many reviews of Sharon Kay Penman's 'The Sunne in Splendour' Has me absolutely more than intrigued with Richard III, so much so I did some further gleaning. One I found of interest is:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 66190.html

Heading back to Amazon to add The Sunne in Splendour' to my Cloud Reader. Being nine hundred pages will have to be a winter read!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Friends are enjoying a wonderful holiday in Italy. The shared photos have me enjoying along with them, the beautiful Italian countryside, the unique and wonderful food choices, above all the ancient historical sites one only reads about.

Photos of the Colosseum saw to a purchase of Robert Abram’s ‘The Colosseum'. Also sees to a perfect time to do another read of Ken Follett’s ‘Pillars of the Earth’ A visit to Amazon saw a copy to my Cloud Reader. The food photos have seen to one lot of Pasta dishes happening in my kitchen!

My winter stash has grown by leaps and bounds, seeing as this past winter didn’t make for much in the way of reading time there will be no shortage of choices for our upcoming long cold prairie winter. On for the weekend a fun read, Elaine Ambrose’s 'Midlife Happy Hour'!
Hoping to see many of you back revieving your favourite books!
Happy Reading!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Just finished " Cesspool " by Phil M. Williams,
" Chimera" by Celia Grace
" The Ridge" by John Rector

These are all mystery books and very good reading for those so incline.
Just stared " From A dead Sleep" by John A. Daly.