2017 What Are You Reading

ellie

Re: 2017 What Are You Reading

Post by ellie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Shadows1 wrote:Finished reading " Secret Wife " by Gill Paul yesterday. A little slow to start but after the first 2 chapters it was hard to put down. This is historical fiction covering the fall of the Czar of Russia and his family. It jumps from modern day to the past in an easy fashion. I recommend it to history buffs and those who like a little romance.
This sounds good and the type of book I enjoy!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:18 am

With winter approaching I am looking to see more reviews, friends are already asking for suggestions I find here on our Zazz Library!

This past week read ‘The Girl From Saskatoon’ by our prairie author Sandra Butala. A long-ago tragedy making for another of the unsolved murders we hear about.This one a young nurse brutally murdered on her way to work a night shift 55 years ago. CBC’s The Fifth Estate did an investigation which had me wonder why it never became one of the cold cases.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.1220084

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1367587510

While I likely already have more ebooks than I could possibly read in this lifetime, giving thanks on Remembrance Day in this troubled world of ours I could not resist adding another Bookbub selection ‘The Plot To Seize The Whitehouse’ by Jules Archer.

“Many people might not know that in 1933, a group of wealthy industrialists—working closely with groups like the K.K.K. and the American Liberty League—planned to overthrow the U.S. government and run FDR out of office in a fascist coup. Readers will learn of their plan to turn unhappy war veterans into American “brown shirts,” depose F.D.R., and stop the New Deal. They asked Medal of Honor recipient and Marine Major General Smedley Darlington Butler to work with them and become the “first American Caesar.” Fortunately, Butler was a true patriot. Instead of working for the fascist coup, he revealed the plot to journalists and to Congress.”Then back to a book sure to add laughter we need for happy, Elaine Ambrose’s 'Mid Life Happy Hour'

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 pm

This evening I watched the replay of http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1367587510 found the passage of time had me thinking it was only the nieces and CBC actively involved in trying to solve the murder of Alexandria Wiwcharuk, the nurse from Saskatoon who was brutally murdered all these years ago. Within minutes my memory was quickly jogged remembering the open police file. Seems I was thinking to one of those special Cold Case shows which I think are USA programming. Have to hope it is eventually solved and has the family know who is responsible.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:23 pm

I finished Sleeping Beauties by Steven King the other day. This was written by Steven King with his son, so it was a little different from Steven King's usual. It was a long book but a fairly fast read as it keeps you engrossed the whole time. What would happen if all the women fell asleep? An interesting concept!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:48 pm

I still have several unread Steven King books to get to, 'Sleeping Beauties' does sound interesting Ellie.

Already have two books planned for after the holidays. A friend shared holiday photos taken in Italy which had me add 'The Colosseum' by Robert B. Abrams and Ken Follett's 'Pillars of The Earth' to my Cloud Reader several months back. Having read 'The Pillars of the Earth' years ago I know it will be a great read. I suspect the same for 'The Colosseum!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Have read so many gooks since my last post I don't know where to begin!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm way behind on my book reviews too Shadows. These past weeks have not made for all that much reading time but come the new year that will change! Looking forward to seeing what you and other members are reading.