2016 What Are You Reading

Gerry

Re: 2016 What Are You Reading

Post by Gerry » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 am

Doing a bit of catch up this morning. Janado have family and friends that love and enjoy suspense, hoping you will share your favourites – readers love to find new to them authors and book recommends!

Jana_flyn , "The Tilted World" - Tom Franklin and Betty Ann Fennelly are authors that are new to me, I am thinking for those enjoying novels this is a great page turner! Please keep sharing!!

AnnaD 'Sleep' Nino Rici also the author of Lives of Saints is a Canadian author with many awards ... the Governor Generals award for Fiction, 75 weeks on the best seller list, New York best seller list, winner of the F.G. Bressani Prize, Betty Trask award in England, Wilfred Holtby Prize, and many more ... his books have to make for a good read!

Jacirose, for years and years historical novels a favourite, I was absolutely intrigued with Patricia Bracewell's Shadow Of The Crown (The Emma of Normandy Trilogy #1) Will be adding to my stash!!

Seems American Sniper was a bit of a disappoint for DanD and Shadows know you will have many that were not ... be sure to share!
:)

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:41 am

Currently reading "The Fifth Wave" By Rick Yancey. An end of the world style work of art. This is currently being released as a major motion picture. I am only a quarter of the way through and it is one of the best written books of this type I have read and I have read many! 8-)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Shadows1 wrote:Currently reading "The Fifth Wave" By Rick Yancey. An end of the world style work of art. This is currently being released as a major motion picture. I am only a quarter of the way through and it is one of the best written books of this type I have read and I have read many! 8-)
Shadows, know you too have health issues, am so sorry but am happy it allows you the pleasure of reading the books you are wanting to read, seeing as I think to reading as one of life's greatest pleasures. Before my eye issues I was a speed reader and a camera buff - reading, reading, reading and taking photos - remains hoping that at some point I will be able to do that again, meanwhile have to choose - so for most part read my favorite the non fiction. I so want to read the many many novels that are out there. Hopefully one day ... soon! That has me looking to ALL the books that others are enjoying, great to see all the suggested reading from our members. Keep the reviews coming, :)

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Books are defiantly a blessing!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Shadows1 wrote:Books are defiantly a blessing!
That they are Shadows! :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Although I have yet to finish reading 'Daddy's Girl' by Clifford Irving as well as having a good number of books on my Cloud Reader I could not resist checking out a book recommended by a family member – 'Loving Frank' Since it was available at our e library and downloaded it will be my next read. Have to admit I had absolutely no idea this famous architect was involved in an affair that shocked the society of the day as well as the tragic murders of those dear to him.

'Loving Frank' is an historical novel by Nancy Horman “This novel about love adultery, loss, and murder is based on the relationship between two real people, the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright who left his wife and six children for the wife of one of his clients, Martha 'Mamah' Borthwick Cheney who left her husband and family to live with Wright at great personal costs.” Thinking this could make for a fascinating read.

It is suggested for any one wanting to know more about the real events should look to William Drennan's 'Death in a Prairie House: Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Murders' “exhaustively researched involving the brutal murders in 1914 of seven adults and children dear to the architect and the destruction by fire of Taliesin, his landmark residence, the details of that shocking crime has largely been ignored by Wright's legion of biographers.”

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Currently reading " Blood Makes Noise" by Gregory Widen, so far pretty good book about the CIA and Eva Peron's body. Next om my list is "Never Smile at Strangers" by Jennifer Jaynes.
Can you tell I like mysteries! ? ;) :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:40 am

Trying to understand sociopaths/psychopaths made Clifford Irving's 'Daddy's Girl' a compelling read. Two things came to mind when beginning to read Irving's book, the date of her first son's birth do not match her accusations as to parentage, seeing as she was already married and living with Rae, nowhere near her parents Texas home when her son was born. One must also keep in mind her parent's two million dollar estate. The1982 Houston murder of James and Virginia Campbell by their daughter Cindy Campbell Ray and her boyfriend David West sees to three trials, West plead guilty and testified for the prosecution at Cindy's two trial, the first a hung jury the second a conviction.

Admittedly found Daddy's Girl a very wordy book, trudged through the first half - think I missed on just who Irving's anonymous 'donor' was (in regards to the information he included in the last chapters) could possibly have been. Not enough to go back through and do another read! A bit of research finds in 2016 both still incarcerated, it is said she has absolutely no remorse. Like many others I too have to hope these two are never released. Reading through reviews sees many feel Jack Olson's 'Cold Kill' the better read. No digital being available had me order Olson's book from the library instead of purchasing as I suspect being an older book may find the print too difficult for me to read.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:19 am

Just finished Gray Mountain by John Grisham which I enjoyed.
Now I am reading a very different book: A Different Key: the story of Autism by John Donovan -- this is very well written and very interesting.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Good to see you here ellie! I have enjoyed a number of John Grisham's novels, 'Gray Mountain' by John Grisham sounds like an excellent read, as does 'A Different Key the story of Autism' by John Donovan. Adding both to my 'To Read' list.

Great to come here and see what others are reading ... thanks to members sharing here in our 'Zazz Library' my book stash is growing! :)