2016 What Are You Reading

Gerry

Re: 2016 What Are You Reading

Post by Gerry » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 pm

Ellie, the ' Passionate Mind' was one of Tuesdays e book choices over at Amazon today - on for $1.99. It does sound like a good read. :)

ellie

Post by ellie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:43 am

Gerry wrote:Ellie, the ' Passionate Mind' was one of Tuesdays e book choices over at Amazon today - on for $1.99. It does sound like a good read. :)
I checked it's not available on the library list yet. I will keep looking since I think it sounds good.

Finished "Missing Pieces" - a fast read and page turner.

Next I am reading "Fallen Land" by Taylor Brown - historical fiction which I thought sounded interesting.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Gerry wrote:Have read Liane Moriarty's 'What Alice Lost' thanks to a heads up from Tigger. Found the book had a well thought out story line, a fall leaves Alice with a ten year memory loss, having to find her way back as her memory returns. I enjoyed Alice's story but found the separate additions of Elizabeths and Frannies storylines a little distracting likely because I like a book to flow, a personal preference on my part. That said remains I really liked this novel and found it a very good read.
I agree, Gerry. I enjoyed the storyline also and didn't enjoy the additional stories.. distracting to say the least.
I'm waiting on "Missing Pieces" from the library and a couple of other recommendations I found here, thanks to ya'll.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Tigger wrote: I'm waiting on "Missing Pieces" from the library and a couple of other recommendations I found here, thanks to ya'll.
Looking forward to your review on 'Missing Pieces' Tigger!
:)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Not only does life sometimes get in the way of cooking, it seems much the same with my reading time. I am just now getting back to Charlotte Smith's New York Times best seller 'Paw Prints In Oman' this animal lover is finding it a very enjoyable read.

Once again this morning's BookBub.com offerings sees to two more books to my Cloud Reader. So many books and seems so little time left over at the end of the day! I could not resist adding Amy Tan's Valley Of Amazement “a deeply moving narrative of family secrets, legacies, and the profound connections between mothers and daughters, reminiscent of the compelling territory Tan so expertly mapped in The Joy Luck Club. With her characteristic wisdom, grace, and humor, Tan conjures up a story of inherited trauma, desire, deception, and the power and stubbornness of love.”

I am not sure which of Amy Tan's books is my favourite, suspect it is a toss up between 'The Kitchen God's Wife' or The Joy Luck Club.Reading Tans books always has me think to Pearl Buck's writtings of life in China for which she won the Pulverizer Prize as well as being the first American woman to win the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1932.

Always thought retirement would make for long afternoon or evening reads ... I do know that one day I am so going to sit back and reread a number of Pearl Buck's books, the first of which will be 'The Good Earth'

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:24 pm

"The Determined Heart: The Tale of Mary Shelly and Her Frankenstein" by Antoinette May
Great read, my wife agrees.

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:15 am

I am reading Past Crimes by Glen Erik Hamilton. Okay but a page turner. It is a "going back home" type of book with definite twists.

Laury

Post by Laury » Mon May 16, 2016 8:56 am

I am reading a fantasy book called The Ables. It is about disabled children with super powers.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Just finished " Blood On The Tracks" by Barbara Nickless ! This has to be one of the best written crime novels I have read. The main caracter is a Mid east vet who now works as a railroad cop with her vet dog. This book delves into the rail riding culture as well as police culture, It is a must read for those who are fans of Mystery, Thriller & Suspense novels.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:46 pm

I have been missing our Library! This year has been a challenging year for our family, one could say relentless. As we look to Christmas for us it sees to the loss of three family members in May closely followed by a close friend that add to our already forever change. For over twenty years evening calls to my mom then came that Sunday call on May 1st – no answer and yes as the holiday approaches I am in the missing. Four losses in weeks, we were all numb and am missing them all. Thinking to those who have lost loves ones this year, finding Christmas the hardest of holidays to get through I highly recommend a copy of Martha Hickman's'Healing After Loss

Looking to a kinder and gentler 2017. Knowing there is an imminent slowdown coming my way I look to it as an opportunity to read many of my books on Cloud Reader I have been wanting to get to! Thinking to Sarah Jane Butfields's 'Glass Half Full' a "With vivid descriptions of people and places, this riveting story is about a family who leave England for a better life in Australia. They carefully plan each step of their long term goals; to get permanent residency in Australia, become financially secure, and maintain a happy and healthy relationship with their large and scattered family. Everything goes as planned until a sequence of life-changing events stops them in their tracks, and then mother nature devastates their carefully laid out master plan. An amazing journey of people living life to its fullest. Inspirational!"
And her follow up her Two Dogs and a Suitcase

Hope to see our readers once again stopping by with recommends!