2016 What Are You Reading

Gerry

2016 What Are You Reading

Post by Gerry » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:05 pm

With way too much life happening at my house most of last years purchases on my Kindle Cloud Reader remain unread. Hope to get to most of them before the winter is out. Several recommends these past months saw me to Amazon's non fiction section. Animal lover that I am I could not resist ordering Jessica Vogelsangs 'All Dogs Go To Kevin' "a humorous and touching memoir that will appeal to anyone who has ever loved an animal or lost hours in James Herriots's classic veterinary stories”

Whisper My Secret' a memoir by JB Rowley, a touching story of a long kept secret. “Just how does a mother cope when she has to walk away from her three children and never see them again." Hard to believe a mother in law could be so vengeful and hate filled to have that happen. Times truth is stranger than fiction.

I followed up with Rowley's 'Mother Of Ten. Whisper My Secret. Part Two I do not doubt that there was indeed a well kept secret, tragically heartbreaking for both the mother and the three children, but I do wonder just how the author managed to collect the information to write in such detail. Had to have taken one lot of research. These books were well worth the read, had me very thankful and appreciative of a lifetime of family love and caring.

Next on my agenda another recent recommend, Justin Trudeau's 'Common Ground' then on to 'If The Devil Had A Wife' Rebecca Nugent and Frank Mills.

Looking forward to hearing what others are reading! :)

Janado

Re: 2016 What Are You Reading

Post by Janado » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I would love to read more Gerry I just don't have the time anymore, I love to read horror/suspense books they keep my eyes open at night :lol:

dana_flynn

Post by dana_flynn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi Gerry, right now it's The Tilted World - by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly

Husband-and-wife Mississippi writers Franklin, a crime novelist, and Fennelly, a poet and essayist, team up on this blend of historical thriller and romance. During the Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927, a federal agent tracking bootleggers discovers an abandoned child. His quest to find the boy’s home ultimately leads to a dangerous love affair. The Tilted World is part Southern Gothic, part historical noir, and one of the year’s most unusual and surprising thrillers.

AnnieD

Post by AnnieD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Sleep, Nino Ricci

A protagonist nobody likes is the dark star of this latest novel by the Canadian author of Lives of the Saints, and many of our reviewers thought it was a real dark horse this year. “Sleep was unaccountably overlooked this literary prize season, despite being Ricci’s best work yet. Perhaps the unlikeable protagonist — the sleep-deprived, pill-popping, skirt-chasing, gun-toting David Pace — alienated jurors. As a nightmarish chronicle of mid-life male failure, however, the novel packs quite a punch;” “Ricci’s work has gotten better as it’s gotten darker. This one is pretty close to pitch black;” “If endemic narcissism is one of the central pathologies of contemporary culture, then Ricci has crafted with Sleep one of its holy texts.”

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Have read way to much to post here since my last visit. ;)

jacirose

Post by jacirose » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:23 pm

I'm reading hadow on the Crown (The Emma of Normandy Trilogy #1)
by Patricia Bracewell

A rich tale of power and forbidden love revolving around a young medieval queen :D

DanD

Post by DanD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:27 pm

American Sniper
The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History. Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History is a memoir by United States Navy SEAL Chris Kyle.
Authors: Chris Kyle, Scott McEwen, Jim DeFelice

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:22 pm

I read that and was not impressed, it was not all it was hyped up to be.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:27 am

I LOVE murder mysteries. I usually get light ones instead of intense ones. But my favorite murder mystery author is Steve Demaree. His 9 book series "The Dekker Cozy Mysteries" are really good. The 2 main characters, Sy Dekker and his friend Lou Murdock, are semi-retired police detectives in a police department in Kentucky somewhere. The books are well done, and very funny in places. Sy Dekker has a wacky, highly made-up, older neighbor lady who is always coming on to him.
I'm sure if you like light mysteries, you will love his writing also.
I also use a Kindle, and I got a lot of my books for free from Bookbub.com.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:30 am

For nonfiction, I got the book "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. There was a movie out last year based on the book, but it didn't come close to what Louie Zamperini went through during World War II. It's very disturbing, but well worth the read.