2016 What Are You Reading

Shadows1

Re: 2016 What Are You Reading

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:20 pm

I have been starting a new book as soon as I finish one on my kindle. I have to go back and see what I have read. I normally read in bed and by morning I have forgotten about the old and am concentrating on what I started.
I hope to post here more in 2017! 8-) ;)

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:28 pm

I mostly read on my kindle -- reading "Women & Children First" by Gill Paul -- at titanic book -- but it's pretty good mostly talking about life after the titanic.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 pm

White House Confidental: The Little Book of Weird Presidential History by Gregg Stebben and Austin Hill. One of the daily offerings from Bookbub and at a great price. Reading the reviews such as the ones below I simply could not resist! “This book is funny and it is irreverent and it is cheeky and it made me laugh out loud”—Peggy Noonan, author of What I Saw at the Revolution” ‘An irreverent look at Presidential foibles, follies, and moral failures. Add ‘Which president was born in Canada, and was ineligible to hold the office of president? Which president caused some problems by trying to grow “strange herbs” in the White House garden? Which president often ordered White House staff to rub Vaseline into his scalp while he ate breakfast in bed? Which president often called his deputy chief of staff “Turd Blossom”?

Yes, have to agree there are many laugh out loud moments, but at times thinking more information than I wanted to know!

My serious read, is a recommend from a family member The Hiroshima Maidens: A Story of Courage, Compassion, and Survial' by Rodney Baker.’This book tells the stories of the "Hiroshima Maidens". They were young girls who were horribly scarred when the Atomic bombs, which ended WWII, were dropped. This story highlights the path 25 Japanese maimed woman taken to America to have much needed surgery to try and change their horrific conditions’ Like many others I had never head of the woman who were brought to America to be cared for and healed.

muffinlady

Post by muffinlady » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:00 pm

I read in spurts with long down time.

I just finished a series Forest at the Edge of the World by Trish Mercer:
the books are 1 forest at the edge of the world, 2 Soldier at the Door, 3 Mansions of Idumea, 4 Falcon in the Barn, 5 Safety Assured Leaving East of Medicitti

very captivating,easy read the characters grow and you are intrigued on how there life will turn out and you are routing them on, the books has high reviews on amazon and goodreads. also on New York times best seller. right now you can get first 4 of the books for $0 on amazon for your kindle. last one small fee . I tried them out and loved them. Clean read the books have very little violence nothing graphic just good plots othing in-place of plot
Last edited by muffinlady on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Great to see you join us MuffinLady! Thank you for sharing Judy, know a number of friends who will love your recommends!

I have started a 2017 thread, both 2016 and 2017 have excellent book reviews from our members. :)