What Are You Reading 2022

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2022

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:22 pm

I have one lot of home physio to go which still has me in slow down mode. Seeing as I plan to get to my garden this spring I do take reading breaks to keep the healing happening and slow down the back issues. Once again we are looking to another winter storm going into the weekend with snow fall alerts in effect. Perfect time to make a big pot of our fav Asian Chicken Curry and an afternoon read. Back issues see to extra read time instead of my usual winter projects. I did buy some sandpaper and paint brushes! I may also play in the dirt and start some herbs today.

My reading plans change when my e library holds come through, this weekend it was "The Last Thing He Told Me" by Laura Dave. "A mystery about a woman who thinks she has found the love of her life - until he disappears" Have to agree with the reviewer who said "You think you know what will happen but you don't" There are mixed reviews on this but during these troubling times I find a novel that keeps you reading is a good thing.

Surprisingly my hold on John Grisham's "Skipping Christmas" arrived earlier than expected and on for my next read.

What are you reading?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:16 pm

Just finished an e-library book called "Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet" by Jamie Ford. It's about a Chinese boy/man, the story switches back and forth between World War II and 1986, when Henry was a boy, and when he was a widower with a grown son. And the relationship he formed with a young Japanese girl in grade school. And what happened when she, her family, and all the other Japanese/Americans were interned during the war. Very sad, poignant, sweet and beautiful. It's a little long, but I could hardly put it down.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:35 pm

Having read and enjoyed "Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet" by Jamie Ford a number of years back had me head over to my e library to add his novel "Songs Of Willow Frost" which is said to likely appeal to those who enjoyed Amy Tan books. I Loved both Tan's "The Joy Luck Club" and "The Kitchen God's Wife" they did not disappoint.

Thinking to the Amy Tan books made for memories of my country home in the valley. At the time one of daughter's shower gifts was a brass vase and 'face' mask set, feel guilty but that mask face was truly ugly but so much so I found it unique! It was hung above my kitchen stove, I refereed to it as the kitchen god's wife. It hung there until we moved, somehow got lost in the move. We missed her!

Much to my surprise "Songs of Willow Frost" has arrived, that decides which is to be my next read!

What are you reading?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:23 pm

Just borrowed Songs of Willow Frost from the e-library. Looking forward to reading it after I'm finished with the latest in the Dekker Cozy Mystery novels by Steve Demaree. He's a really funny writer and all of these Dekker novels are about 2 friends from childhood who both became policemen and now are retired. Except when they are called in to solve a murder in their small Kentucky town. Light reading and rather funny.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:56 am

Just finished Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford. It was just as good as his previous book, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:29 am

Looking forward to the winner of Canada Reads which is on for today. My favorite Michelle Good's 'Five Little Indians' is still in the running!

I too found 'Sons of Willow Frost' a good read, you know its good when you go back and read the last three pages a second time!

With our troubled world as it is my next read will likely again have me ask how we did we not learn. 'All The Frequent Troubles of Our Day:A True Story of an American Woman in the Heart of the German Resistance to Hilter[ by Rebecca Donnes. An instant winner on the New York Times Best Seller list and said to be a stunning literary achievement.

Still number 10 on the wait list for both 'Charles Martin's 'Send Down The Rain' and John Grisham's 'The Judges List'. I suspect I next will be looking for a lighthearted happy read and check out the gardening section. With all the wonderful pots of seedlings under the lights to be transplanted I may have to curtail my reading time!

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:27 pm

Just finished "Aftermath" by Terri Blackstock. It's a suspense novel about a bombing and a man being set up to take the fall just because of his background. Terri Blackstock novels always start with action from the first or second pages. My favorite in her "series" books is "The Restoration Series", about when the whole earth is hit by an electro magnetic impulse and how people quickly become criminals when everything electronic dies.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue May 10, 2022 10:29 am

Reading, plant stands filled to overflowing both indoors and in the garage I have added yet another activity with the purchase of an electric pressure canner. Thirty one jars later can say it is far far easier than the heavy old fashioned pressure cooker I used years back! Made for some fun filled mother daughter weekends. Yes there was reading as well.

'Let Him Go' a novel by Larry Watson was an incredible read, "A retired sheriff and his wife go after their young grandson in “a fast-paced story of marital love, family violence and small-town justice” It was a page turner as was John Grisham's 'The Judges List' my hold came far earlier than expected. I was pleased to see 'Five Little Indians' win the 2022 Canada Reads. It is a must read!

Still on hold Charles Martin's 'Send Down The Rain' and 'The Wives' by Tarryn Fisher.
Have '(not quite) Mastering the Art of French Living' by Mark Green downloaded ready to go, hoping it is a lighthearted read!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:40 am

With our long cold winters I dedicated the summer to as many daylight hours as possible in my garden which limited review time. As summer winds down once again time to get our Library up and running.

Having read an earlier book on the life of Frank Lloyd Wright whose career spanned seven decades who is said to be he greatest of all American architects; he led an extraordinary private life. Having read 'Death in a Prairie House: Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Murders' by William R. Drennan" (The murders "apparently still stands as Wisconsin's worst mass murder, the 1914 axe murders at Taliesin, the home Frank Lloyd Wright designed and lived in with his mistress and protégées." ) I followed up with 'Loving Frank' by Nancy Horden. While not as detailed as the Drennan book, it was a good read.
Just downloaded 'Warlight' by Michael Ondadaatze, the Booker-prize winning author Michael Ondaatje's latest work.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:50 am

Doesn't happen often but I have set aside 'Warlight' adding it to my winter read list to try again. It does have one lot of good reviews warranting another go.

Downloaded 'Under The Wide and Starry Sky, a New York Bestseller by Nancy Horden author of 'Loving Frank'  "a novel of love, laughter and sacrifice, the love story of  Robert Louis Stevenson and his wife Fanny Vandergrift Osbourne Stevenson"  Stevenson the author of 'Treasure Island'  'A Child's Garden' and 'The strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Hyde' and a poet as well. I enjoyed reading these books many years ago. How could one not love "Treasure Island'!

Also downloaded 'The New Shade Garden' by Ken Drude author of more than a dozen award winning garden books looking for inspiration and ideas to complete my shade garden. I am about half way there and hoping to get it right the first time around. I so need to see this on going garden rejuvenation done!