Wood fired cookstove

Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

Axe

Wood fired cookstove

Post by Axe » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:48 am

Hey all,

I just installed a wood fired cookstove as well as a wood stove in our kitchen renovation. (I'll post pics when the reno is done) I cook on both.

The cookstove is circa. 1940. It's quite an art form learning to cook on it. Just wondering if this forum would be the appropriate place to include recipes/hints/tips for this appliance? Or, do you like to keep it to more of an open fire kind of thing?

Luvcookn

Re: Wood fired cookstove

Post by Luvcookn » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:45 am

I have been cooking on a wood cookstove and regular wood stove for 18 years now. We have a McClary Royal Charm (about 50 years old then). The day that we installed it...I made a complete roasted whole chicken dinner. Everything turned out perfectly. That was my first foray cooking in a wood cookstove. For me...it came naturally. Not bragging...just saying. The tricky part was finding the correct wood for what you are cooking. As different woods put out different heats. We use 4 different woods for what I need. And I love the fact that you can use the whole surface...from boiling/frying to keeping the food warm.

We also have another cookstove that we plan on putting in a summer kitchen...so I can cook all year with wood.

I guess this is too much info and not what you were asking. :lol: But thanks for reading. :D

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Axe the forum was intended to be for outdoor types of cooking, but I guess there is room for woodstove cookery. I will get this post stickey with the main topics here.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Nothing tastes as good as when it's cooked over a wood fire! Yum!

Axe

Post by Axe » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Shadows1 wrote:Axe the forum was intended to be for outdoor types of cooking, but I guess there is room for woodstove cookery. I will get this post stickey with the main topics here.
No worries Shadows. If it doesn't fit, no problems! Just a bit of a steep learning curve over here for a city boy livin' in the country. I still love the idea of outdoor cooking though! :D

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Oh wow, I'm so looking forward to hearing all about it. This is the perfect spot for this in my opinion. It is really about cooking the old fashioned way and the cookstove sure is part of that ;)

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Axe wrote:
Shadows1 wrote:Axe the forum was intended to be for outdoor types of cooking, but I guess there is room for woodstove cookery. I will get this post stickey with the main topics here.
No worries Shadows. If it doesn't fit, no problems! Just a bit of a steep learning curve over here for a city boy livin' in the country. I still love the idea of outdoor cooking though! :D
Axe if I did not think it was a fit I would not have stickied it with the other major topics here, have at it my friend!

Axe

Post by Axe » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:17 am

I really like cooking with fire, but have a couple of questions:

I use Ash wood. It burns hot and lights easily. But the firebox is small. (Compared to the wood stove) Do you fiddle with the dampers to control fire temperature or simply keep moving the pots around the cook surface closer and further away in order to cook with the desired temperatures?

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:29 am

It's interesting you ask that Axe. I myself have never used a wood fired cook stove, I am intrigued. I remember my Grandmother using one and I always wondered why she would move the pots around all the time, I guess your question just answered mine, lol....

My Aunt still has that wood stove stored away in the corner of her garage. I should asked want she wants to do with it. I would love to have it at camp and learn how to use it.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Here are two books that could answer your questions about woodstove cookery:

https://www.lehmans.com/p-43-home-comfort-cookbook.aspx

https://www.lehmans.com/p-1261-woodstov ... -book.aspx

I am not advertising the web site they are found on, just the books! Look for them at your local library!