Wood fired cookstove

Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

Shadows1

Re: Wood fired cookstove

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:06 am

Axe how are things going with your wood cookstove. inquiring minds want to know?

Axe

Post by Axe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:24 am

Well, after literally MONTHS of looking, I finally found the 'clean-out' door for the oven. It's a small door inside the clean out drawer for the fire box. Super hard to get at, but I found it and that's what matters.

With the kitchen renos STILL ongoing and this nuttty cold weather, I've been cooking on it every day. I think I finally have it down to a science. I love the thing! I'm going to miss cooking on it in the summer.

As far as cooking with fire, I use exclusively Ash, as that's what we have, but we will be ordering more wood in the next month or so. What do you like? Ash? Maple? Should I change it up?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Ash is one of the best woods to use. There is an old saying "Ash wood wet or Ash wood dry a king will dry his slippers by".
When all the kids were home ( long time ago ) we used to set a pot of soup or stew on the stove Friday night on a cast iron trivet and let it simmer all weekend or snow day long. The kids would come in and help themselves when hungry, we would replenish if needed.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:38 pm

That brings back lovely childhood memories Lee. My parents did the same and we loved it.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:50 pm

Glad I was able to nudge a memory out of you Bea! I just hope Axe is creating memories for the family!

Our stove is not an "official" cook stove, but we use the commercial grill size top as such.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 pm

My kids have the same memory, they always loved to come in from the cold and smell a good soup on the stove. They knew it was what was for dinner all weekend but also loved it. My daughter has even asked me to show her how I make my clean out the fridge stew. She loves it. It always includes, hamburger or stew meat depending on what we have, all the veggies in the fridge that need to be used up, and has to include cabbage and if there isn't enough veggies to fill up the pot, add frozen. She can now make it and I am sure will be making it for her family in the years to come. (Once she has a family) :lol: Good memories for the kiddos!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:10 pm

Nothing better then a clean out the fridge and freezer stew Dissie. And perfect time of year for it too.

Axe

Post by Axe » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Oh man.... now you've got me thinking!

You know, it is something really special to have a soup/stew simmering all day on the wood cookstove. I just wish it didn't take this city boy so long to get to experience it, but now there's no going back.

Now, time to clean out that fridge! Thanks Dis!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:09 am

You are very welcome! I know your family is going to love clean out the fridge stew! OMG never know you will find in that! I have even been known to throw in shredded zucchini that was meant to be for bread that I found in the freezer! Use up those items in the freezer too that should be used up soon too! No rules when it comes to stew! All is welcome! :lol: