Camp Fire Cooking Wood/Charcoal

Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

Kchurchill5

Re: Camp Fire Cooking Wood/Charcoal

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:52 am

We do that a few times a year. One, when we go camping. 1x per year. We cook that way all week.

Second, when we do beach cook outs at my friend house

And when we have a cook out at my friends out each. Barn, country, lol.
But, otherwise, gas usually, or charcoal now and then.

But, I do love it. It just isn't as often as other methods which are convenient for my development. I can't do that type of cooking where I live.

QueenBea

Deep Fried Turkey

Post by QueenBea » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Hiya Peeps :mrgreen:

Looking to do something different for this coming Thanksgiving???? Why not "Deep Fry" your turkey instead of baking/roasting it. Deep Fried Turkey comes out so moist and juicy, and get this....... the breast is never dry ;) I don't recommend stuffing the bird, but no worries, there are some yummy stuffing recipes here at Zazz for "outside the bird"

You can do this over a campfire but it keeps a better steady temp using a propane burner. You can buy the turkey pot and burner together now at most outdoor stores. The turkey pot is geared up with a thermometer and sturdy turkey hook.

We have been doing this for a while now for thanksgiving since it is not that cold out yet. It is always a hit!!

Here is what you will need

A 12 to 15 pound turkey, no bigger than 15 pounds. It won't fit in the pot properly and the outside would be way too brown when the whole turkey is fully cooked.

Place the turkey into the turkey fryer pot and just cover with water; Remove the turkey and mark the water line with a marker.
Discard water and wipe the turkey pot dry.
Pat the turkey dry inside and out and rub with you favourite spice mixture; set aside.

I like to carefully loosen the skin and rub the seasoning under the skin and add some more over the skin. Make sure you season the cavity of the turkey also. (I like to tie the legs together and wrap the wings up closely to the turkey with cotton twine so they don't overcook)

Here is my favourite seasoning :
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon ground sage
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon dried ground rosemary
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Pour the oil in the turkey fryer up to the marked line and place over the heat source.
Bring the oil to 350 degrees and carefully add the turkey.
The temperature of the oil will decrease so bring it back up to 350 degrees and fry turkey for 3 minutes per pound plus 5 minutes per bird. (ie: 12 pound bird is 12 x 3 = 36 minutes plus 5 minutes = 41 minutes) If not sure place a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast, without touching the bone and it should read 165 degrees, if it's not at desired temp, drop it back in to the hot oil.
Remove the turkey from the pot. (We use a hook that came with our turkey fryer but I have seen others use a fry basket which makes it easy to lift the turkey out.)
Allow the turkey to cool for about 15 minutes before carving it.

And here is the cooked turkey

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 am

Deep fried turkey is delicious!!
Me and some of my poker friends will be having a turkey dinner a couple of days after Tday, but ... will be enjoying a deep fried one.

I usually inject mine; and also a rub; and, I have the turkey hook too vs a basket. Both work equally as well.

If anyone hasn't tried it, I suggest they do. It is tender moist; and crisp skin. Delicious

By the way QB, nice job on the instructions.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 am

Thx Kim :mrgreen:

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:57 pm

That looks delicioud Bea! Thanks!
Great job with the presentation.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks Lee :)

Shadows1

Pie Iron

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Spring is another time to cook over an open fire. Get those "Pie Irons". "Camp Irons" or whatever they are called in your area out of storage and put them to use.
Use your fire pit while you clean up your property.
Here a few recipes to get you started:

Rueben Sandwich For Pie Iron

Hash and Egg For Pie Iron

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:27 pm

I can't wait to get the camp fire going Lee. If I could only get to it. Everything is buried under mounds of snow, lol....... Here is what it looked like here yesterday.

This is my front porch, that deck is 4 feet off the ground. See my poochies behind the deck railing at the door of the mud room. My babies, lol

And here is fresh snow on one of the trees in the back yard after the snow yesterday.

It's April right ?? :evil: :evil: :lol:

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Yes it is April! :o
I have camped and cooked in worse back in the day!
One camp we had to be airlifted out of by the National Gaurd when we did not show up to our destination. I think we had over 3 feet of snow on that one.
Spring will get to you to soon Bea and all that snow will end up in your basement! :o ;) :shock: :lol:

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 pm

LOL, let's hope not in my basement, lol...... Had a nice mild day today, so some of it is melted away..