Camp Fire Cooking Wood/Charcoal

Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

Shadows1

Camp Fire Cooking Wood/Charcoal

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Anything over an open fire (non-grill)/ ground cooking using wood or charcoal.

Kchurchill5

Re: Camp Fire Cooking Wood/Charcoal

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 pm

My friends and I camp a couple of times a year; but also, we have a beach campfire. Cooking with charcoal on a grate right in the sand. We grill fresh seafood many times; and we even wrap them many times in banana leaves and use seaweed and slow cook them.

You can even cook on a small fire pit too (the commercial kind you can buy. Made some awesome burgers

Using cast iron pans, pots directly over the fire is a great way; or rigging up your own rotisserie to cook kabobs; wrapping spuds and chicken in foil packets are a great way to cook. NO clean up and you can make fantastic dishes.

One night in FL, yes, FL ... we lost power due to a bad storm. It was freezing and my fireplace was going. And yes, I actually have one here. We grilled foil packets of chicken, vegetables and potatoes. Heated up apple cider and bourbon in our cast iron pot; and roasted marshmellow to go over ice cream. We literally ate by candle light and lanterns ... But hot oak wood made a fantastic fire.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:22 am

Foil pouch cooking was invented for the camp fire. Easy clean up and great taste.
What foil pouch recipes do you all have?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:26 am

Did you know the best way to bake a potato at camp is to cover it in mud and place directly in the coals for 40 - 60 minutes?
When done crack open the now hardened mud and enjoy a perfect potato.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:07 pm

My friends and me cook our pig / Wild Boar every year in the pit. A mix of fire bricks, charcoal, wood, and seaweed. It works fantastic. It is a ALL day project; even into the night a bit; but tons of fun. And the smell from the wood, the seawood, and the charcoal is fantastic. JUST like you see on TV, lol.

BLawson

Post by BLawson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:My friends and me cook our pig / Wild Boar every year in the pit. A mix of fire bricks, charcoal, wood, and seaweed. It works fantastic. It is a ALL day project; even into the night a bit; but tons of fun. And the smell from the wood, the seawood, and the charcoal is fantastic. JUST like you see on TV, lol.
oh man that must be good! :shock:

BLawson

Post by BLawson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Shadows1 wrote:Did you know the best way to bake a potato at camp is to cover it in mud and place directly in the coals for 40 - 60 minutes?
When done crack open the now hardened mud and enjoy a perfect potato.

never heard of that but thanks for that info!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Interesting indeed. Haven't heard of that either. Very cool.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:30 pm

BLawson6120 wrote:
Kchurchill5 wrote:My friends and me cook our pig / Wild Boar every year in the pit. A mix of fire bricks, charcoal, wood, and seaweed. It works fantastic. It is a ALL day project; even into the night a bit; but tons of fun. And the smell from the wood, the seawood, and the charcoal is fantastic. JUST like you see on TV, lol.
oh man that must be good! :shock:
Yes BL, it is pull apart tender. They start around 3am, the first actually starts around 1; and the pig takes around 12-14 hours. We even put not an apple, but an orange in the mouth. It is FL after all. It's pretty cool.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 am

Shadows1 wrote:Foil pouch cooking was invented for the camp fire. Easy clean up and great taste.
What foil pouch recipes do you all have?
I use them on the grill for cabbage and onions all the time. They are also great for sliced potatoes with onions. Just slice and add butter, salt and pepper. I often add more spices such as cajun seasoning, but even with just salt and pepper they are great. You can even add sliced zucchini and bell peppers. Wonderful way to cook potatoes or cabbage. I do them both the same way, just butter and spices. Just remember to keep turning them, so they don't get burned on one side. Yummy. After about 30 minutes, I use gloves to pick them and feel if they are soft and cooked yet. Great way to have easy, delicious side dishes when barbecuing.