Camp Fire Cooking Wood/Charcoal

Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

Shadows1

Re: Camp Fire Cooking Wood/Charcoal

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Been awhile since someone posted here, so here goes:

My kids took me camping two weekends ago for my birthday, it did not go well for me.
Day one we had hot dogs cooked over a wood fire and "samores" ( no photos).
Day 2 we had sausage and scrambled eggs .

I did not take any photos because I left my camera at home. I ended up with heat stroke and had to go home, my meds make me more suseptable to that.

The others stayed through Sunday and continued to cook over an open fire.

So who else has been cooking over open fire?

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:52 pm

The only things we have made this year over an open fire is the regulars, wieners, marshmallows and smores. I don't usually have the camera out at night because of the little ones running around and the adults are usually enjoying a few "frosties" lol. I should really make a point of snapping a few shots then putting the camera away 8-)

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:27 pm

I was hoping to see some hunting camp recipes and photos here. I guess no one went hunting this year!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:34 pm

QueenBea wrote:The only things we have made this year over an open fire is the regulars, wieners, marshmallows and smores. I don't usually have the camera out at night because of the little ones running around and the adults are usually enjoying a few "frosties" lol. I should really make a point of snapping a few shots then putting the camera away 8-)
I worry more about the adults then I do the little ones, I have witnessed more then one "frostie" infused adult nose dive into the firepit ;) :lol: :o or spread the contents of the area all over the place! :shock: :lol:

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:13 am

I have not been camping since my last post but we have made mountain pies over the fire-pit in the yard. No photos because of my shakes.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:06 pm

Here is a recipe that is not mine so won't be posted as official recipe.
Had this at a November camp many years ago and it is worth the effort.
Cooked directly on the coals.

Roast on the rocks

Here is the original recipe that I received:

4 lb. eye roast of beef, carefully selected for quality & uniformity of shape

2 cloves garlic, quartered

1 c. salt

1/3 c. freshly milled black pepper

1 tbsp. ground ginger

Fresh parsley

Remove roast from refrigerator 2 hours in advance of barbecue time. It must warm to room
temperature before cooking. Approximately 1 hour before cooking, insert segment of garlic into
each of 8 well spaced slits, cut 1 1/2" deep in meat. Combine salt, pepper and ginger. Rub
seasonings over entire roast until surface is heavily coated. It is important to rub surfaces of the
meat. Allow to stand, uncovered, for another hour. Just before cooking, remove garlic.

Fire must be hot, coals approximately 2" deep and sufficiently large to permit placing meat on
fresh coals several times during cooking. Using a folded newspaper, brush fine white ash from
surface of fire. Place roast directly on coals. Cook for 15 minutes. Give roast 1/3 turn and
relocate on fresh coals. Cook 12 minutes.

Again turn roast, uncooked surface down and relocate on fresh coals. Cook 12 minutes. Don't be
alarmed by the appearance of the Roast on the Rocks, it will be well charred on the surface,
juicy red inside. Serve on wooden plank. Garnish with parsley.

Carve Roast on the Rocks diagonally across the grain in 1/8" slices.

OK, that's the official recipe. I do mine differently. First of all I use a whole head of garlic and
slice each clove into 5 or more pieces. Its a lot of garlic, but that seems to go well with
everyone that has tried it my way.

I do let the roast stand for an hour before cooking it, but I do not remove the garlic, that would
change the flavor too much.

Next with a full Eye Round roast the instructions don't cook the meat long enough for me. I
cook the first side for 22 minutes, then each remaining side for 20 minutes. This will give you a
medium rare middle with well done on the ends, that way everyone can pick what they like,
otherwise there is a lot of very rare meat.

One other thing. Most eye roasts have a strip of fat down the one side. I remove this strip of
fat as the first step in preparation of the meat and before inserting the garlic. A good eye roast
will have plenty of fat in the center before cooking and this roast is quite juicy. Also I have found
that if you leave the fat on the roast the salt, pepper and ginger seasoning don't work into the
meat on that side very well.

I used this same recipe on a venison roast, and one of the ladies that ate with us ate the roast,
not realizing that it was venison. She thought that it was a beef roast the entire time, and
stated that it was the best roast beef she had ever had.