Grilling/Smoking

Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

Shadows1

Grilling/Smoking

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:19 pm

If it can be grilled or smoked, you will find it here.

Sue

Re: Grilling/Smoking

Post by Sue » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm

What kinds of things would you like us to post here? Anything besides Q&A?

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Maybe something on different wood chips/wood, and the flavors they can offer. Also the use of brines for different proteins; and basic basting sauces. Not necessarily BBQ and sauces which I think are different then a basic basting sauce. And don't forget dry rubs.

I think some basics would be a great start for those who don't do lots of grilling smoking.

For instance; I smoke on my large smoker with a wood side; but I also use my electric smoker for those who don't want to bother with a large wood smoker. And, you can smoke on a propane grill too.
It gives the option for the novice smoker a way to try smoked food without all the work. Now, obviously; it isn't quite the same; but you do get a very nice smoky flavor which for some would be nice to try.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:14 am

I think she might be onto something. I don't have a smoker for instance, and honestly don't know diddly about them, except the food is wonderful is you have one. Might encourage me to get one!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 am

Dis,

My big smoker has a wood side; the typical big ones you see, but I keep that at my friends farm because the only time I use it is for a big party. I love it, but it is when I do a large pork butt, or brisket or many slabs of ribs. It is more work and time consuming; but, LOTS OF FUN too. Just for me; I have my electric smoker/and, a small charcoal one too. Both are easy, smaller, cannister style (upright) and use a water bath; but, you get an amazing flavor from something which is less work.

And, my grill you can get a similar flavor too, but you will go through some propane. Now, I often will cook chicken or salmon on the grill with wood chips, a water bath, and I cook on indirect heat. Might take a couple of hours; but you will achieve a nice smoky flavor with very little work. A nice start for the novice to see if they want to invest in a smoker.

I picked up my charcoal canister smoker CharBroil at Home Depot for 25.00. My electric was 30.00. The electric, I plug in, fill my water bath, add my protein and let it go. Convenient and easy.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm

My mouth is watering thinking about this :P it's a recipe my late hubby's friend used to make

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/smoked ... r-pit-8239
If you can eat, you can make it!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Kitten that recipe sounds wonderful. I certainly like the spices involved! An injection and a dry rub sound wonderful. Why didn't I think of that for roasts? :?

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Kittencal wrote:My mouth is watering thinking about this :P it's a recipe my late hubby's friend used to make

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/smoked ... r-pit-8239
I estimate that to be an excellent recipe if only because it is not cooked in an oven or crock pot.
I have nothing against crock pot or oven bbq, but they are just not the best recipes, imo.
Smoke is a magic ingredient outdoors. 8-)
Smoke inside the house is not. :lol:
No smoke at all is just plain baked or braised. :(

Smoke and spice and everything nice
That's what good Q is made of.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:02 am

Sue, do you not think that sounds good for a roast? I am not comparing smoking to oven baked, but just thinking of the possibilities for flavoring a pot roast to bring it to another level.

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am

The rub in that recipe is like a "dry sauce". I have often made indoor bbq with smoky sauce added, but the rub itself doesn't have that. If I were to do that recipe indoors, using the dry rub, I would want to add "liquid smoke" to the injection fluid. Or- it can be made indoors if a smoky sauce is used in tandem with the rub. But not everyone does that, and by itself, a major flavor component will be missing. Kind of like cupcakes without vanilla. Still cupcakes, but-
Without the dry rub, the injection fluid is great because it will have a similar effect on the meat as a brine would, getting inside via the needle instead of osmosis. It will just taste more like brined meat and not really like smoky bbq at all. Which can be a great springboard for jumping in an entirely different direction from your usual oven roast recipes. The outside seasoning will determine that.