Grilling/Smoking

Moderators: Shadows1, QueenBea

Shadows1

Re: Grilling/Smoking

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Well I finally have the pork butt in the smoker, will try to get photos tonight when it comes out. 14 hours is a long time, about 10PM est.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm looking forward to reading all about it Lee :P :P

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Well these photos were taken after 10:00PM and I was shaking I will post photos we take today as we pull the pork!

Used this rub:

Spicy Pulled Pork

This recipe is perfect for the spicy food fan.
You can adjust the amount of red pepper used in this pulled pork recipe to increase or reduce it spiciness.
Serve with a cool, creamy coleslaw.

Ingredients
•1 boneless pork butt (about 5-6 pounds/2.3-2.8 kg)
•For Rub:
•2 tablespoons/30 mL paprika
•2 teaspoons/10 mL onion salt
•2 teaspoons/10 mL dried whole oregano
•2 teaspoons/10 mL garlic powder
•2 teaspoons/10 mL dried whole thyme
•1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL ground red pepper
•1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL ground black pepper

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 480 minutes

Total Time: 495 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8

Preparation

In a small mixing bowl, combine all rub ingredients.
Coat pork shoulder with seasonings and cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate 1-3 hours or over night.
Preheat smoker and prepare for an 8 hour smoke.
Make sure wood chips are soaked and drained before using.
Add charcoal and wood chips as necessary to keep temperature low, around 225 degrees F/110 degrees C.
Smoke pork shoulder for about 8 hours or until internal temperatures reach 185 degrees F/85 degrees C.
Once pork is cooked remove from smoker. Wrap tightly in foil and allow to sit for an hour.
Afterward unwrap pork butt and shred.
Combine pork with 1/3 of your favorite table sauce.
Keep warm and serve on white bread buns with remaining sauce on the side.
Top with Coleslaw.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 480 minutes

Total Time: 495 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8

I smoked it for 14 hours instead of 8.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:37 pm

OMG, looks and sounds deeeelish!@!!

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm

I bought a new Traeger pellet smoker yesterday. Small one called the tailgater with folding legs so I can drag it places.
My electric smoker had issues with one of the legs, so glad I could have something else for more everyday use.
With just Bill and me, I didn't want a huge one since it would really end up wasting too much fuel.
Hoping to break it in this weekend after I do a recipe for a company that sent me some product they want promoted (little compressed smoke rings for a gas grill but can also use on a charcoal grill). So I'll be making dry rubbed hot wings on the Weber. It's my old trusty- used Weber for years and years and years.
I heard weekend after next will be up to around 85F--I'm thinking some ribs if I don't do a Boston Butt.

Anyone have grilling plans coming up?

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am

Good for you Sue, looking forward to how it all works out.

I can't wait for the weather to start getting nice so I can start grilling and smoking. Hubby is playing around with our old smoker because the bottom was starting to rust out so he got a stainless steel plate made for it. He sparked it up a couple of times now to season it but it is emitting black "sooth" He can't figure out why. I just want to go buy a new one..... :roll: I will give him a couple of weeks and if it's not operational I will be shopping :lol: :lol:

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:24 pm

I had a Chargrill smoker-grill a few years ago for my small one and all the paint flaked off in the first two uses. That one went back right away. Maybe the stuff in yours is little paint flakes- I seem to remember some flying away off mine. Look at the finish and see if it is down to bare metal in spots.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 pm

QueenBea wrote:Good for you Sue, looking forward to how it all works out.

I can't wait for the weather to start getting nice so I can start grilling and smoking. Hubby is playing around with our old smoker because the bottom was starting to rust out so he got a stainless steel plate made for it. He sparked it up a couple of times now to season it but it is emitting black "sooth" He can't figure out why. I just want to go buy a new one..... :roll: I will give him a couple of weeks and if it's not operational I will be shopping :lol: :lol:
Bea stainless steel normally has a protective coating on it that needs to be seasoned and cleaned before first use. I stay away from grills or smokers that have a painted interior.
Sorry I did not answer you before I have been ill.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Thx for your replies Sue and Lee. Wayne has figured it out and the smoker is up and running. He flushed out the tubes of the burner and it is working perfectly. I see something smoked in the very near future........

Lee I hope you feel better soon :P

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks Bea!
Smoked a small try-tip roast of beef yesterday using a coffee based brine and pecan wood for smoke. No photos but it was wonderful! Used the leftovers to make beef barbecue and that was tasty also.