Authentic Enchilada Sauce

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Puppitypup

Authentic Enchilada Sauce

Post by Puppitypup » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:53 am

I would like to find a red enchilada sauce made from either roasted or dried peppers that resembles mild canned enchilada sauce. Definitely not tex-mex and not tomato based.

Sue

Re: Authentic Enchilada Sauce

Post by Sue » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 am

Red sauce with no tomato is a blend of dried peppers, tear off the stem and shake out the seeds, soak them in torn pieces in warm water/simmer until they soften, then puree in a food processor, and then simmer until it is thicker.
I would use onion, garlic (saute these in lard or oil then simmer these and puree) and cumin along with dried red new mexico or california chilies, dried ancho chilies plus a few hotter chilies for heat (I often use pasilla or any that have pointier tips as they are spicier than the ones with rounded bottoms). For real hot there are chiltepin, and things like jalapeno and serrano- one or two fresh green jalapenos into the mix won't alter the color radically. There are so many different kinds of dried chilies. Which ones do you have or which ones can you buy?

Puppitypup

Post by Puppitypup » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks Sue, that's a whole lot of good info! I'm going to have to grow my own chilis next year, our small town doesn't carry many chilis.

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:44 am

If you have to order them online, the dried chilies, the packages are pretty lightweight, so not much shipping. Lots of places will sell the ground specialty powders too.
We have a lot of Mexican grocers and tiendas here now and they always have a good supply.

1Steve

Post by 1Steve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:55 am

This got me thinking. This product called Marco Polo Ajavar is easily gotten in my area. It comes in a mild and a hot variety. the ingredient list says there is some eggplant in it, but if there is you don't taste it. it tastes like ground red pepper paste. I bet it could easily be turned into an enchilada sauce sans tomatoes.
http://www.amazon.com/Ajvar-Mild-marco- ... B000LRG18C :idea:

dienia b

Post by dienia b » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:42 pm