Gluten-Free *and* Dairy-Free recipes

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Felix4067

Gluten-Free *and* Dairy-Free recipes

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Not just recipes that are one or the other, but recipes that are both. I tried searching here, but apparently a vast majority of our members are not aware of what dairy entails (recipes containing butter listed as non-dairy, for example). My niece has to try to come up with food for her son so doctors can test him for potential dairy and gluten allergies, and we're coming up on Christmas. Anybody got anything that is actually both gluten-free and dairy-free?

KittenCal

Re: Gluten-Free *and* Dairy-Free recipes

Post by KittenCal » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Beth you can always sub milk/dairy products with soy products ;)
If you can eat, you can make it!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm aware of the substitutions. However, that does not always work in recipes, particularly when baking, because it radically changes the fat content. I was hoping for recipes that are already supposed to be gluten- and dairy-free.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Beth I know that QueenBea has gone gluten, she may have some recipes to give you that are both GF and DF
If you can eat, you can make it!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 pm

I've been looking at a lot of hers, but they're a great deal of the ones I'm sending in via "contact us" because they claim to be either gluten-free or dairy-free or both, yet they contain ingredients such as butter and flour. :|

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Hey Felix, I'm in the process of converting my favourite recipes to gluten free and dairy free. If you see any of them that say dairy free, or gluten free, and have an ingredient that goes against that please let me know.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 pm

The biggest thing with your recipes, QB, is the ones containing soy sauce and/or oyster sauce. Every single one of them is tagged gluten-free, but both of them contain it. As I'm searching for recipes to make, I've been making a list...they've already fixed the first batch, but I've got quite a few on a second list. Honestly not sure how many of them are yours or not since I'm just noting links and how they're labeled and shouldn't be. It's just frustrating that so very many are miscategorized...I'm not even looking at all of them, I'm just looking at the ones that sound like something she'd want to make. Typically every other recipe I open is labeled either gluten-free or non-dairy and contains soy sauce, or cheese, or butter, or flour.

It's a major PITA to find something a six-year-old boy with sensory processing disorder will eat that's both gluten- and dairy-free, by the way. My niece spent over $40 at the health food store today and came home with one small vegan ranch dressing, 3 bags of shredded "cheese", one small nondairy butter and 1 lb of nutritional yeast. Normally $40 would get her enough food to feed her family of five for the better part of a week.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 pm

I do use GF soy sauce and GF oyster sauce and of course all GF sauces in my recipes and try to list them as such, but, if you do see that I didn't do so, please let me know so I can fix it. I sure as heck do not want my dairy free and gluten free recipes to make anybody sick 'cause I know what that is all about [-X

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 pm

The problem might lie in how we have to list ingredients here, then. I did see one of yours where you mentioned using Daiya cheese, but that's in parenthesis and the ingredient is actually listed as cheddar cheese. I haven't yet seen one of yours where the soy or oyster sauces have any notation about being gluten-free, it just says soy sauce or oyster sauce. Now I'm wondering (based on how ingredients get changed from how I write them to how they appear after approval) if you originally had them listed as GF, but the process takes that out. You know how if you write "extra virgin olive oil", it gets changed to "oil (extra virgin olive oil)"? Hmmm...

novicecookmom

Post by novicecookmom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Felix4067 are egg allowed?