Gluten-Free *and* Dairy-Free recipes

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Felix4067

Re: Gluten-Free *and* Dairy-Free recipes

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Eggs are not a dairy product, so yes. :)

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Here's one Beth :)

#recipe3582
If you can eat, you can make it!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Excellent, thank you! She told me today they've ruled out gluten as a problem, so thankfully now all we have to do is dairy-free. It's much easier!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:22 am

Kittencal wrote:Here's one Beth :)

#recipe3582
Just wanted to let you know, this one is a winner! He LOVES zucchini bread, so when we told him he was going to get a chocolate zucchini cake for his birthday he was so excited he couldn't sit still. His birthday isn't until March, though, so my niece is also going to make it for Christmas instead of pie. Thank you! :D

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:43 am

Felix4067 wrote:
Kittencal wrote:Here's one Beth :)

#recipe3582
Just wanted to let you know, this one is a winner! He LOVES zucchini bread, so when we told him he was going to get a chocolate zucchini cake for his birthday he was so excited he couldn't sit still. His birthday isn't until March, though, so my niece is also going to make it for Christmas instead of pie. Thank you! :D
Oh great Beth, I'm glad to hear that!
If you can eat, you can make it!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Well...definite problem with the recipe. The zucchini is listed as an ingredient, but it doesn't appear anywhere in the instructions. So she left it out, thinking somewhere there was a typo. What she ended up making was, and I do quote directly, "heated through chocolate powder" since the only liquid was oil and vanilla. Which she was unfortunately not able to salvage by then adding the zucchini and trying again, so she had to throw it away. She's a little cross at having wasted the money on ingredients.

If only everyone was a baker...then she would have known to stir in the zucchini after she mixed the dry into the wet. But alas, for everyone is not.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:31 pm

? Don't people who have to follow these special diets, already know that if it says soy sauce, then substitute GF soy sauce, just an example. I don't think our recipes need to say that. I think most recipes can be adjusted that way. It is just my opinion. I know when I was low carbing, I knew immediately if I could adjust any recipe or if I needed to move along. Just saying.....I have said before, these recipes are all listed as people put them, people have the choice to put them as they think, not as they really are. Some say diabetic or sugar free. Since I was diabetic, I know what to look for and don't make that if I am trying to avoid hidden sugars. Most diabetics KNOW the hidden sugars. Don't GF people know what to avoid?

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:00 am

Not those who are just starting out, no. I bet when you were just starting on a diabetic diet you didn't know everything, either. But it's not about the people making the recipes not knowing, it's about the fact that if you post a recipe that calls for butter, you should not list it as non-dairy. If you post a recipe that calls for all-purpose flour, you should not list it as gluten-free. Much like you should not list a recipe for pork chops as vegetarian, or a recipe for on omelette as having no eggs. My issue primarily was with the fact that I wasted I cannot tell you how many hours looking at recipes only to discover they had been blatantly miscategorized when it would have been really easy for the person posting the recipe to NOT check the extra, incorrect, boxes when submitting it.

Why should the onus be on the person looking for a recipe to make changes to it rather than on the person posting it to do it correctly in the first place? If I wanted recipes I knew I would have to change, that's one thing. But the entire point of having categories is so you can narrow down the search to only show recipes you can actually use and that fit within your search parameters. I was very excited when hundreds of recipes showed up when I searched for both gluten-free and non-dairy. And then the first ten I opened contained one or the other or both. I found easily 50 recipes that were miscategorized without even trying...and then I gave up and started searching for recipes elsewhere.