Not quite so flaky pie crust?

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
HeatherFeather

Not quite so flaky pie crust?

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm

A challenge for you: I have always been able to make a very flaky pie crust. My mom learned from her mom & grandma, and I learned from Mom when I was a little kid. It came as quite a shock to me to find out that my boyfriend prefers a less flaky crust. In fact, he'd like it to not be flaky at all.

He likes graham cracker crusts and other cookie based crusts, but that doesn't work for every type of pie. I am hoping one of you out there has a recipe for a pie crust that is something I can still roll out and top a pie with that tastes great but doesn't flake.

Dissie

Re: Not quite so flaky pie crust?

Post by Dissie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:32 pm

I am not a huge baker, but my mom always taught me to not overwork the crust, or it becomes leathery. Overwork your crust, when cutting in the butter, cut the butter in until you know its melting? I have no idea. Thought everyone liked flaky crusts! :shock:

Store bought pie crusts, generally aren't flaky. Maybe its the freezing that prevents that. Make one, freeze it, defrost and cook it. Maybe it won't be flaky.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Everyone knows I hate to bate! But, I do make a flaky crust.

But, yes, over working, and warm butter, and water makes a tougher crust.
All I can think of.

Other than making a potato based crust, but that is a whole different type of crust.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 pm

I am not sure a tough crust is really what he is after either though. I think he would just like it to not flake apart when he cuts into it and have a slightly softer texture.

He definitely prefers my homemade crusts to the store bought ones, so that didn't work. I had thought that might do the trick, but the flavors were off for him. He likes the taste of homemade, just not the flaky texture. He doesn't like puff pastry or crescent rolls either, for the same reason.

I may try different combinations of fat to see if that will help a bit more.

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm

I wonder if you made a whole wheat crust he would like it better?

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:45 am

Sue wrote:I wonder if you made a whole wheat crust he would like it better?
Possibly - he loves whole wheat bread. I am not sure I'd really like the taste of one made with whole wheat though - hard to say, I have never tried one.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 am

HeatherFeather wrote:
Sue wrote:I wonder if you made a whole wheat crust he would like it better?
Possibly - he loves whole wheat bread. I am not sure I'd really like the taste of one made with whole wheat though - hard to say, I have never tried one.
It's not that bad. I mean, it is whole wheat. I reviewed one I gave 4 stars to.
Review:This was a very good recipe for pie crust and held together very well in addition to being easy to make. Not quite as light, buttery and flaky as a white flour crust, but it made up for that in its healthiness.
That's my pic of it. No link to the site though, I don't give them traffic.
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 cup vegan shortening
1/2 cup cold water
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Mix together as you would for pie crust. I don't imagine I used vegan shortening. I'd recommend a 50:50 butter-shortening ratio.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks, Sue. I will ask him what he thinks. It sounds and looks like something I should try. I will be so happy to be able to cook and bake again once I get settled into my new home. One of the first things I want to bake is a pie for my bf. :D

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:05 am

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but if you overwork the dough when mixing it won't be flaky. So just overmix a white flour dough.