Looking for a specific recipe

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Shadows1

Looking for a specific recipe

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:40 am

Years ago ny daughter held her wedding at the Sarata Inn in St. Pete Beach in Fla.
They served a potato dish either scalloped or augratin , I think it was Augratin, with layers of sliced ham. It was the best we have ever had. I have been searching for it ever since. Some recipes have come close but not the real thing. My point is does anyone know the recipe or know someone who might?

Also does anyone know of the "Bridge View" restaurant in St Pete? Is it still there?

TaliaPD

Re: Looking for a specific recipe

Post by TaliaPD » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am

Have you tryed contacting the hotel head chef and see if he/she will give you the recipe?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Yes but the chef that did the dish left the hotel 2 weeks after the wedding and I can not get contact info for them. That is why I am still searching.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:43 pm

They are out of business as far as I can tell. I have never eaten there. I can check to see if any of their recipes were printed in any local cookbooks. You might contact the Tampa Bay Times (they have a website TBO online I think) - they may be able to find the recipe you were looking for.

Here is a link to a blog that has a recipe that sounds like it might be similar:
http://mysanfranciscokitchen.com/potato ... au-gratin/

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:27 pm

Are you refering to the Sarata Inn or Bridge View as beeing out of business?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Could it have been Dauphine Potatoes at the Sirata Inn? They are on the current Wedding Catering menu at their website. Those are kind of like the potatoes you describe, but in the recipes I looked up online, they don't have slices of ham in them. But you could always add that. There are several websites that have Dauphine Potatoes recipes, including Julia Child and Martha Stewart. But here's the link to the Sirata Inn's Wedding Catering menu. It's a pdf file.

http://www.sirata.com/egallery/upload/s ... ebsite.pdf

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks that might be it! I will try with a layer of ham with the cheese layer.
Man the prices have gone way high from when we were there!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:54 pm

It would not be Dauphine Potatoes, they are mashed. But it might be these.

Dauphinoise
By Danilo Alfaro, About.com Guide
Definition: In the culinary arts, the word Dauphinoise refers to a French recipe for potatoes in which the potatoes are sliced, layered in a baking dish and then baked au gratin with garlic, butter and cream. Variations on the Potatoes Dauphinoise recipe can include eggs and cheese.

Some chefs like to rub the baking dish with garlic when preparing a Dauphinoise Potatoes recipe.

The name Dauphinoise comes from the Dauphiné region of France, where the Potatoes Dauphinoise recipe is said to originate.

Although the names are similar, Potatoes Dauphinoise is not the same recipe as dauphine potatoes, which are balls of puréed potatoes mixed with choux pastry which are then deep-fried until light and crispy.

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:39 pm

You know, it sounds like scalloped potatoes with ham.
I'd recommend browsing these photos to see if you can spot one that looks like it. Most of these will have an attached recipe or at least a description if it is a menu item:
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
Good luck with it. *fingers crossed*

Have you thought of checking out James Beard's recipe for scalloped potatoes? That would be an older recipe and one many chefs would have been familiar with.
http://books.google.com/books?id=yKW_cA ... rd&f=false