Recipes using Tumeric

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Shadows1

Recipes using Tumeric

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm

I need to find recipes using Tumeric. My Dr. has told me to eat foods that contain it. I need to consume 1 tsp per day to help with my disease.

Any help would be great!

CouponGoddess

Re: Recipes using Tumeric

Post by CouponGoddess » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:06 pm

shadows1 here's a whole bunch of recipes containing tumeric, I hope you find something you like ;)

http://www.recipezazz.com/search/apache ... ch/tumeric

CookingAdventurer

Post by CookingAdventurer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm

here's another for you

Vidalia Onion Relish.

4 large red bell peppers
4 large green bell peppers
4 large yellow bell peppers
40 cups grated Vidalia onions
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 large heads cabbage, finely shredded
3 tablespoons kosher salt
9 cups white sugar
2 quarts apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons ground tumeric
3 tablespoons mustard seed
1 tablespoon celery seed

1.Roast red, green, and yellow bell peppers over an open flame or in broiler, turning frequently, until skins are charred and blistered. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic; let sit 5 to 10 minutes. Remove skins. Cut peppers in half, lengthwise. Remove seeds and stem, and chop into small pieces. Set aside.

2.Place grated onions in a colander to drain liquid. Place them in a large bowl, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup kosher salt. Mix by hand. Mix in cabbage and 3 tablespoons salt by hand. Let sit 1 hour.

3.Place onions and cabbage into colander, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place in cheese cloth or towel, and squeeze out additional water.

4.Place cabbage and onions into a large pot over medium-high heat. Add roasted bell peppers. Stir in sugar, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, mustard seed, and celery seed. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly to prevent onions from sticking to the bottom. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often.

5.To prepare jars you first need to wash jars then place them into the canning pot with rack and boil them in water to sterilize them. Fill a small pot half way with water and bring to simmer; place the lids into water. Taking one jar out of the water at a time put on canning funnel and fill with hot relish about 1/2 inch from the top. Then take a kitchen knife a stick down to the bottom of jar and work the knife around to remove all air bubbles. Wipe off top of jar very well and clean then place a hot lid on jar the screw ring on top. Repeat until all relish is gone. Jars and relish must stay hot throughout this canning process.

6.Place in a bath of simmering water, covering the jars by one inch. Process for 10 minutes, or according to your local extension's guidelines. When jars start to seal and vacuum, the lids will make a pop sound and your canning was a success. Once jars have been opened, store in the refrigerator and use within two weeks.

CookingAdventurer

Post by CookingAdventurer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Corn Relish

2 quarts sweet corn kernels
4 cups chopped cabbage
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons ground dry mustard
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground tumeric
1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 cup water

1.In a large saucepan, mix corn, cabbage, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, white sugar, ground dry mustard, celery seed, mustard seed, salt, turmeric, apple cider vinegar and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

2.Transfer the mixture to sterile containers. Seal and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

CookingAdventurer

Post by CookingAdventurer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Indian Chicken.

1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 slice fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick, chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 skinless chicken thighs
1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed

1.Place onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and process into a paste. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onion paste and saute, stirring continuously, for about 10 minutes.

2.Stir in the cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves and nutmeg. Saute, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Place chicken pieces in skillet and stir them around with the spice mixture until they are well coated.

3.Saute for another 4 minutes, then pour in the tomatoes with liquid and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 to 2 hours, or until the oil has separated from the liquid. Stir occasionally. (Note: If you simmer uncovered, the sauce will thicken; add water, or keep covered while simmering.)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:23 pm

I am definitely making your corn relish. It sounds wonderful.

CookingAdventurer

Post by CookingAdventurer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:I am definitely making your corn relish. It sounds wonderful.
Kchurchill that corn relish is very good, my sister made some and gave me some.

hungry_grl

Post by hungry_grl » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm also definately going to try that corn relish, mmmmmmmm!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:16 pm

That would be fantastic over grilled fish, scallops, chicken, pork etc. YUMMY

Becka

Post by Becka » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Shadows! here's a tip ;)

When sauteeing onions sprinkle with Turmeric. It adds a nice color, unique flavor and health benefits, too :)