Weird recipe request - using Saucy Susan

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
HeatherFeather

Weird recipe request - using Saucy Susan

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I have never tried any of the Saucy Susan sauces, but I recently read a few threads on some forums about people who either loved it or hated it. Since I like to keep a sweet sauce on hand as a dip, I don't mind buying a jar to test it out, but I am intrigued by some of the uses people apparently had for it. I guess it was a big deal back in the 70s? I never heard of it before.

Anyway, one person mentioned adding it to shrimp and linguine - I guess it was like a sweet & sour lo mein type thing? I wonder if there was anything more to the recipe.

Others said they used it to glaze chicken or ham.

If anyone has used this product before and has any recipes (even if they are just vague versions), I would love to hear about them.

Dissie

Re: Weird recipe request - using Saucy Susan

Post by Dissie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:16 am

Wish I could help, but I haven't used that. I asked my mother and she said she doesn't remember it either.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:40 pm

I picked up a bottle of it when it was on sale recently. It looks like duck sauce. I make a lot of Asian dishes, so having a spare dipping sauce handy is fine. I doubt it is going to taste as authentic as some of the other sauces I usually buy, but that is OK. I was curious to find out what the fuss was about. Haven't tried it out yet.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:22 am

I did find this:

BATTERED CHICKEN

2 lbs. boneless chicken breasts in 2-inch pieces
3/8 c. milk
3/8 c. chicken broth
1 c. Bisquick
1 lg. egg, beaten
Pepper
Garlic powder
Saucy Susan

Mix Bisquick with milk and broth. Mix thoroughly and add egg mixture. Should be a very thick pancake batter consistency. Add pepper and garlic to taste. Add more liquid if the batter is too thick. Add pieces of chicken to coat.
Fry in 1-inch cooking oil several pieces at a time. Fry until lightly browned and drain on paper towel. Place on very shallow cookie sheet sprayed with Pam and brush with Saucy Susan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

For an appetizer cut the breasts into small pieces and cook as suggested. They can be frozen on a cookie sheet and then placed in a plastic bag for storage. When needed, place on a shallow cookie sheet, brush with Saucy Susan and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 am

Another one:

SAUCY SUSAN CHICKEN

4 lbs. cut up chicken pieces
1 lg. bottle Saucy Susan Apricot Glaze
1 tbsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. water

Place chicken in baking dish. Add water. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Pour on Saucy Susan and continue to bake for about 40 minutes or until chicken is done.