Easy freezer meals

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
hungry_grl

Easy freezer meals

Post by hungry_grl » Sun May 20, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm looking for some easy tasty freezer meals, your recipes or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
Amy

HeatherFeather

Re: Easy freezer meals

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun May 20, 2012 8:29 pm

One thing I do is make a double batch of meatballs and a large batch of pasta sauce. I separate the meatballs into freezer bags in amounts that make sense for my family. Then I portion out the sauce into separate containers in the amount typically found in a spaghetti sauce jar (I buy the plastic gladware tall round containers for this - perfect size).

Another regular freezer item is marinated (pick your meat). 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts or pork loin chops for example - I pop them into a freezer bag, pour half a bottle of marinade into the bag, squish it around, and freeze. I thaw it out in the fridge the night before I plan to cook it, or you can also usually toss it into a crock pot still frozen (rinse the baggie until the tap a few minutes to get the bag off).

I also sometimes bread chicken fingers - just dip fresh strips of chicken meat into egg or creamy salad dressing, then a crumb coating seasoned however I feel like it. I lay them on wax paper on a baking sheet or plate and let it sit in the freezer about 30 minutes, long enough to partially freeze. Then I pop them into freezer bags and cook them from frozen at about 350-375 F for maybe 20-30 minutes.
Last edited by HeatherFeather on Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hungry_grl

Post by hungry_grl » Sun May 20, 2012 8:53 pm

thank you for sharing your great tips HeatherFeather you have some great ideas, I like your chicken finger idea and will be sure to try that :)

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:23 am

I like to make corndog bites. Long story short, I tried making my own corndogs, soon tired of the standing over the fryer, so I cut the hotdogs into small pieces and dipped them and just added them slowly. Cooked faster and it was much easier!

I let them cool and then froze on a jellyroll pan uncovered, then put them in a freezer bag. Family loved to take out a few and microwave or put in oven if they wanted a crispy crust. They just ate em up! cheaper and so much better for them to have a "bad" for you snack, homemade. I need to do that again! :lol:

Marion_in_Savannah

Post by Marion_in_Savannah » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Just last weekend I went into the freezer and got out some spaghetti sauce I made before the weather got hot. I also freeze beef stew and Soboro:

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/soboro#hide-comments

Whenever I make things like that I make LOTS and freeze in containers that will serve 2. Another thing that I do is get tons of sweet potatoes when they show up in the store (about this time of year), bake them, and mash. I put about 2 cups of the plain mashed sweet potatoes into ZipLoc sandwich bags and freeze them. We love sweet potatoes with pork chops and lima beans, and it's great to be able to grab some out of the freezer whenever we're in the mood.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 am

HeatherFeather wrote:One thing I do is make a double batch of meatballs and a large batch of pasta sauce. I separate the meatballs into freezer bags in amounts that make sense for my family. Then I portion out the sauce into separate containers in the amount typically found in a spaghetti sauce jar (I buy the plastic gladware tall round containers for this - perfect size).

Another regular freezer item is marinated (pick your meat). 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts or pork loin chops for example - I pop them into a freezer bag, pour half a bottle of marinade into the bag, squish it around, and freeze. I thaw it out in the fridge the night before I plan to cook it, or you can also usually toss it into a crock pot still frozen (rinse the baggie until the tap a few minutes to get the bag off).

I also sometimes bread chicken fingers - just dip fresh strips of chicken meat into egg or creamy salad dressing, then a crumb coating seasoned however I feel like it. I lay them on wax paper on a baking sheet or plate and let it sit in the freezer about 30 minutes, long enough to partially freeze. Then I pop them into freezer bags and cook them from frozen at about 350-375 F for maybe 20-30 minutes.
thank you for the information. It was very helpful for me too.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:11 am

Soups are always a go to for me. There are so many soups that freeze well; You can even freeze them in ziploc bags and lay flat and stick them up. Nothing better than a soup and sandwich night.

Burgers, made up ahead of time. Make a turkey one with spinach and feta; or a cheesy bacon stuffed burgers. Just grill and serve - way cheaper than buying those premade at the store.

Meatballs already mentioned.

I also always have rice and pasta in the freezer in a baggie that I can just thaw and reheat. Make some Mexican rice; just thaw and serve with grilled chicken is quick and easy.

Mini calzones are fun and easy. Just use your own or any store bought pizza dough. Use your favorite filling.
- peppers, onion, mushrooms, and cheese
- chicken, ham and cheese
- chicken broccoli and cheddar
- bacon, chicken swiss
- beef, chedar and onions
- pepperoni, onions, mozz
You get the idea. Make small rounds or squares, fill, fold over, poke a couple of holes in them, brush with oil and bake. Then, just bake to reheat. You can serve them with a warm marinara, warm cheese sauce, mustard, or just about anything.

I make up my own burittos, and freeze individually. You can nuke them in just minutes, top with salsa, sour cream and cheese. Or you can add them to a casserole dish and bake too. You can stuff them with beans and cheese, chicken, beef, or any combination; rice too is a good filling.

And my favorite is meatloaf. But change it up a bit. Make mini loafs, and try a Mexican meatloaf; or a greek one with olives, and feta cheese. They can be baked ahead and then just reheat in the oven or microwave.

Beef tips are fantastic. Simmer in the crock or on the stove. Beef tips, mushrooms, broth, onion and just until tender. Then, just a quick reheat. and serve over rice.

Or package everything up. Add some pearl onions, beef, broth, seasoning to a baggie and freeze. Then, pull out the bag the night before you cook it to thaw. In the am, just add to the crock pot. Turn on low and 6 hours later, dinner. Also, take some rice out of the freezer and then can be heated in the microwave in just a couple of minutes. The last minute stir in some frozen peas.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 am

Another great idea is to make your own pizzas and freeze uncooked, just pull out and bake!

You can also fry up hamburger, fried with onions and peppers, freeze in containers and they help to get dinner on the table so much faster! I do this all the time! It sure saves time!

You can do the same concept with chicken. I boil a few breasts, cool and cut up in chunks to have meat ready to make a dinner quickly. Just defrost and you are eating quickly! I do chunks, since I never know what I might make with said chicken, and its easy to shred it too! I even do this with roasts. Just freeze in chunks to make soups, or add to stir fry's. I even freeze bacon and sausage that has been cooked. Easy to pull that out, and crumble for recipes or just heat up to eat. Just makes life easier!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:36 am

Same here Dis. Buy hams, turkeys, chicken, ground beef, bacon on sale. Cook, cut and freeze.

Absolutely what Dis says, you already have cooked meat. Toss on salads, pizzas, in calzones, in wrap sandwiches, in pasta dishes or soups, stir fry dishes, tacos, etc. Having the meat done is half the work. You can also make chicken or ham salads; stuff in tomatoes for something like or make a grilled sandwich.

And remember soup and sandwich or salads nights are fantastic dinners and quick to put together if the meat is already cooked and diced. Also, meat like ground beef, ham, sausage, chicken make fantastic fritattas, quiche, bisquick type of pies which freeze very well.

Lasagna roll-ups are also a fun dish. Use a premade sauce of your choice; some of that chicken or beef you already cooked and froze. Take the NO boil noodles and add to a pan with some water and nuke 5 minutes. Then just spread some meat over the noodles which is soft; add some cheese, roll and add to a small disposable pan. Top with more sauce and cheese. Cover, freeze. Then just thaw and bake. They are quick to make; disposable pans, easy to make and still inexpensive.

Buying things on sale really are key.

I just bought another turkey. 49 cents. WHY NOT. I will cook it maybe Tues or Wed. Cut up and freeze. Great to have on hand. It was an 11 lb turkey for 5.50. Cheaper than a chicken and a lot more meat! Just watch the sales.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:22 pm

We have made these and frozen them and reheated in the micro wave or oven.

Steak Fingers Thompson
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/steakfingers-thompson

This one we have frozen in two different stages, completed and frozen then reheat or complete up to the cooking part, freeze and cook when yu want this delcious pork pie.

Tourtiere De Quebec (Quebec Pork Pie)
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/tourti ... c-pork-pie