Easy freezer meals

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Dissie

Re: Easy freezer meals

Post by Dissie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 am

Kim and Shadow, those are wonderful ideas. Now that I work the swing shift, I really rely on cooked things, frozen. Or the crockpot. You can make some wonderful things in the crockpot! I know freezer meals are already done, but coming home to a great smelling house and the meal ready is also wonderful, so I love the crockpot!

I have found that if I fry up the hamburger in advance, I make more soups or hubby makes tacos often. I have my mix for taco seasoning in a plastic dish, and he just adds it and some water and he's in business! Its a great way for them (he and my son) to enjoy taco salads and make soft tacos in like 10 minutes! Very easy for them. I do need to add that I cut up the tomatoes and onions, bell peppers, etc.. in advance for them. I make a salad, lettuce only, and then put all the extras in containers. That way they are ready for meals like tacos or if they want a salad, they just add what they want to the salad, makes it so much easier if they want tacos. Yes it takes time to cut it all in advance, but also it ensures its easier when anyone wants to eat. I come home at midnight many times and just heat up the fried meat and have a taco, just cuz I have already done the work! Or I come home and have a huge salad. :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:20 am

I also make hard boiled eggs usually on Sat. About 4 of them (now, it is just me); but, it can be a nice snack, added to a salad; slice on bread or a bagel for a quick breakfast or add to tuna for a nice salad for sandwiches. Not freezer stuff, but another easy tip.

Cutting up veggies ahead is great Dis. Any leftovers can always be tossed in soup.
And for fish seafood lovers ... cook up some salmon and shrimp; they can be froze and are fantastic in tacos, salads, sandwiches, pastas, soups, etc.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 am

I completely forgot of one of my favorites to make ahead.

RAVIOLI
And, not just cheese.

You can take sausage, leftover pot roast which I am doing this week; butternut squash, pumpkin, spinach and cheese, mushroom, shrimp, crab, lobster, chicken, even turkey.

Mix and stuff in simple wonton wrappers. It is simple inexpensive and easy to make. Just freeze and ready for dinner.

Just a couple of slices of meat will give you enough filling for 20+ ravioli which is plenty for 4 people.

And sauce doesn't have to be a red sauce. A cheese sauce, a white wine sauce; for squash ravioli a butter sage sauce; cheese ravioli you can use a mushrooms sauce.

They can go right from the freezer into boiling water and take 5-10 minutes to make; heat up some sauce and serve.
----------------------------------------------------------
Spinach, mushroom, ricotta, and parm is a favorite. Serve with a little red sauce.

Chicken, ham and spinach is also fantastic; you could use turkey too. Serve with a cheese sauce

I also make turkey cranberry ravioli with a fontina cheese sauce. Great way to use up holiday leftovers and delicious.
-----------------------------------------------------------
One note. After you make the ravioli. Freeze on a sheet pan individually, then add to a baggie and freeze.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 am

Oh no Kim! :o I have been saving my bits of leftover meats in a baggie in the freezer for brunswick stew, now you have given me the idea of making ravioli! :shock: My guys would love that! :D ( I never make brunswick stew by making a chicken, a roast, and then some pork, I just save leftovers from regular meals until I have enough to make the stew!) I can actually see my stew getting farthur away from me now! That is an excellent suggestion! I just added wonton wrappers to my grocery list. (wondering about the carb on that! :lol: ) Either way, my guys would love it, so I will be doing this idea soon!

Thanks! Wonderful idea!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:15 am

I think they are only 4 carbs per wrapper.
I usually fill mine and fold in half like triangles. This is based on the 3 1/2' wrapper.

This is a recipe someone gave me for a 3 carb per wrapper.

1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup soy flour
1/8-1/4 cup water, as needed

Mix, refrigerate, then roll. I haven't tried it, but she makes it all the time.
------------------------------

I love to make the wontons, but then I often do something other than a tomato sauce; and I add some veggies to the sauce to make a more substantial sauce.

Like a broth with mushrooms and artichokes; or mushrooms and spinach. But a good tomato sauce is good too, however you can also add spinach to a tomato based sauce.

I also do a pea puree, with a little broth and cream to top over a chicken ravioli. Also, a roasted red pepper sauce is also really good too.

Just some ideas.