Chocolate frosting

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Felix4067

Chocolate frosting

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 pm

I know there are 847 recipes for chocolate frosting. What I need is a tried and true (I've already done a web search) recipe for a frosting that would come out more like the chocolate on a Reese's peanut butter cup. Because that's what I'm re-creating...a giant peanut butter cup.

I'm using Kittencal's Chocolate Fantasy Layer Cake, and using the filling from my peanut butter bars (not posted, as everyone has a recipe...the one with the graham crackers and powdered sugar).

I want to do something other than melt chocolate to pour over it, but I want it stiffer than regular frosting. Kind of like fondant, but I'm not that good. Every time I try to make fondant I fail spectacularly. Maybe a ganache? I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

This was my inspiration, but I refuse to pay $80.00 plus shipping for it. :lol:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... cipe_Rule-_-

HeatherFeather

Re: Chocolate frosting

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:48 pm

I have a recipe bookmarked for this exact recipe actually - I will find it for you.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:52 pm

OK I found the link for you - the picture of her version is at the bottom:
http://www.1finecookie.com/2012/02/pean ... -you-need/

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 pm

EXCELLENT!!!! I'm not going to use the mold (primarily because I want a bigger cake than that, but also because I do NOT need more crap in my kitchen :lol: ), but I will definitely use her chocolate mixture to frost it. I'm thinking I'll probably make a mold in a larger cake pan by crimping foil...it's gotta be about the same. And since I'm making my own birthday cake to take the to bar, they'd best not complain if the edge isn't perfect. :lol:

Thank you!!!