Honey Mustard dressing/sauce without mayo

Looking for a specific recipe? ask here someone will be along ASAP to help you out!
Mary

Honey Mustard dressing/sauce without mayo

Post by Mary » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:23 am

Looking for a straightforward (i.e. few ingredients) recipe for honey mustard dressing or sauce without mayo or yogurt. The proportions in my recipes just don't work. Something with Dijon, honey, lemon juice or cider vinegar, and olive or vegetable oil?

Laury

Re: Honey Mustard dressing/sauce without mayo

Post by Laury » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 am

This one was already posted and doesn't use mayo or yogurt-
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/vidali ... d-dressing
Maybe it will work for you.

Mary

Post by Mary » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:51 am

Hi Laury. Thanks for the link. I did see that when I searched, and I'll try it without the onion, although that alters the recipe almost beyond recognition. Seems to be two parts cider vinegar and honey to one part Dijon, but I hesitated at eight parts oil. I think maybe I'll just start with two parts oil and increase as needed.

Does anyone have other thoughts? I'd like to try several versions.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:23 am

This is one of my favorite vinaigrette's / sauce.

1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons dijon
1/2-1 teaspoon honey
1 garlic clove, minced (I use a small clove)
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
s/p to taste

I always add the thyme, but it isn't necessary. Also add more or less honey to taste. I add everything to a small jar or tupperware and shake; it gets creamy without any mayo.

This is another I use on seafood, especially scallops:

1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon white wine or white vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons mustard
s/p

Both of these can be served cold or warm. Warm dressing are really nice.
Also, for a little cream if you don't want mayo or yogurt, just a little dash of cream works great.

For an easy sauce, heat up heavy cream on medium heat. Add in honey, mustard and let it reduce to thicken. A quick easy sauce.

Mary

Post by Mary » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks, KC. I was just searching your recipebooks, knowing that you probably had something I could play with, and here you are posting some that aren't on the site yet. These both sound delicious.

Would you consider doing a "Dressing 101" for us? I basically start with equal parts oil and acidic something (vinegar, citrus juice, etc.), but amounts of other additions stump me.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:00 am

I could. I think dressing are one of those things that are so flexible. Just changing up using white wine vinegar, to white vinegar, to cider, or rice wine vinegar, even white balsamic - these all really change the taste.

But again, you don't have to use vinegar, orange, lemon or wine also work.

And, adding jellies, or salsa and pesto makes fantastic dressings too

Mary

Post by Mary » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:04 am

I agree. A simple basic "template" would be great to have, don't you think? Then we can vary it to please our whim/mood/ingredients. I think I'll start with your vinaigrette for seafood.

Right now I'm working on recipes with apples, pork, and spinach (but not all together in one dish -- yet =-). If anything is worth more than one dinner, I'll post it.