Labor Day Weekend Pot Lucks

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Labor Day Weekend Pot Lucks

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Pot Lucks are a great way to celebrate special occasions and weekend gatherings of family and friends. Labor Day weekend is one of my favorites as it also the weekend we celebrate my birthday. This Friday so happy I went with the little impromptu potluck gathering making for one fantastic birthday. Although too chilly/cold for gazebo time on Friday, we are now seeing to steady rainfall ... and yes here in Saskatchewan this weekend finds it downright chilly!

When we gather we tend to go with our family favorites as well as adding one or two new to us dishes. We are hoping for a warm and sunny Monday for another barbecue. Sharing our Friday Potluck menu

Starter/appetizer - family fav #recipe1811

A wonderful rack of dry rub ribs, (recipe not posted)

a rack of barbecued ribs #recipe7234 and our vegetable grill #recipe5955

#recipe7234 and #recipe5955

GS's awesome Beer Can Chicken (recipe not yet posted)

Another gs's wonderfully seasoned vegetable grill with onions, garlic, potatoes, varied colored yellow, purple and orange carrots all fresh from the Farmers Market. (recipe request for that one!)

A surprise visit saw brother and sil bring a wonderful caprese salad, the cherry tomatoes fresh from their garden. (begging that recipe!)

I added baked beans, buttered corn on the cob and Lemon Meringue pies.

Lemon Meringue Pie using #recipe7166 and #recipe2730 Lemon Filling unposted.

Wishing everyone a happy Labor Day weekend. Be sure to stop by and share your Labour Day weekend recipe plans. :)

DishItTrish

Re: Labor Day Weekend Pot Lucks

Post by DishItTrish » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:01 pm

Whoa some wonderful recipes Gerry, I love going to potlucks because you get to sample everyone's cooking :) Happy Long weekend :!: :D

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:23 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Gerry!!!

Your menu is outstanding! Everyone will be well sated and happy! :D We are alone with weekend...so sees us doing fall cleanup & washing windows.

So our meals will be simple. Tonight I am making a Thai fish curry...and if it turns out well...I will post the recipe.

Have a grand time with your family and friends! :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Welcome to Zazz and our Potluck Forum DishitTrish! Have to love potlucks with everyone bringing the best of their best as family and good friends do! May I encourage you to share some of your favorite recipes! It's super easy and we all love new to us potluck recipes! :)

Thank you for the birthday wishes Patti. Loving Thai dishes has me looking forward to your Thai Fish Curry recipe posting! P.S. Wanna come and do fall clean up and wash windows at my house? Have an awesome new pressure washer and a 'recipe' for easy window washing that I will try soon after I get back from Toronto.

Hoping to see what others are planning for Labor Day ... do come in and share!! Photos welcome!

DishItTrish

Post by DishItTrish » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Thank you Gerry for your warm welcome , sorry I had no idea that is was your birthday :oops: so I'm sending a belated Happy Birthday to you! It's probably a little late but I have a few recipes I have taken to potlucks I'll try to get them posted here later today :D I did post a wicked Irish Cream chocolate cake :-BD

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Great holiday refreshments that are winners at our house.

#recipe1109

#recipe3030

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:28 pm

Thank you for the birthday wishes DishitTrish, if memory serves most would not know my birth date other than I am a Virgo! Just checked out your newly posted recipes and am so happy that you are sharing your special recipes! Baileys is one of our special holiday favs, next special occasion will be making your http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/chocol ... laze-20874 I do not doubt it is one wicked Irish Cream chocolate cake!

Looking to your punch come Thanksgiving! http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/cranbe ... unch-20876 And ... our fav cheese cake is an unbaked version so know we will love your
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/no-bak ... sert-20877

So happy that you are sharing your special recipes here at Recipezazz! :)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 am

Gerry, heading to a friends party. Very casual too. Our potlucks we always make sure we know what everyone is bringing ... so we don't end up with 3 pasta salads or 3 baked beans, lol.
Their party is pretty much the same every year ... But, a couple of years we did do all seafood. But, this is pretty much the norm.

Even though the menu is pretty classic; they always jazz it up a bit w/toppings, sides, condiments, etc.

Me, I am bringing the trifle and the deviled egg dip
--------------------------------------------------------------
Deviled egg dip; fresh salsa/chips; red pepper hummus and a spinach artichoke dip w/dippers; chicken wings, and, oyster shooters.
Beef sliders with their famous burger sauce, roasted tomatoes, grilled onions and provolone.
Mini brats ... yes, we made mini 4" brats from scratch just for this party; mini buns too.
Baked beans
Tortellini salad with grilled veggies.
Classic potato salad.
Mixed baby green and market veggie salad rolls w/green goddess or homemade ranch.
Grilled corn with a blue cheese butter, parm butter, or Mexican topping.
Homemade soft churn vanilla ice cream; my berry trifle; and always brownies.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:30 am

And Gerry, your menu sounds wonderful.

For my friends party; when the guests are invited; they always give them a couple of choices ... like green salad or a potato type of salad. Then, they can bring whatever. Also, they know what is being served; so, they can match up the flavors.

It is always a surprise what they bring.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Awesome menu Kim, comes to mind your daily menus are akin to holiday meals!! :)

When it's for family and friends basically I take care of the main course, everyone knows if it's burgers, steak and ribs, chicken, salmon or casseroles ...be it a holiday or be it impromptu we choose the mains we are going with and everyone adds to round out the table ... works for us!

I usually make the desserts, for years and years it's a given that for most special occasions it is our unbaked Cheese Cake ... or Almost Apple Pie and Apple Pie ... and of course Lemon Meringue Pie ... (this past week I overheard "time was a time we always had pie" yes been one long while which had me scramble to make a couple this weekend! Yes I love love Potlucks!!