Ideas for an outdoor cocktail party potluck

Moderator: Gerry

KareninMass

Ideas for an outdoor cocktail party potluck

Post by KareninMass » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:39 pm

hi everyone,

I am a big time lurker and a transplant from Food.com - so glad to be here !

on the 4th of July - we are attending a cocktail party fundraiser at our beach community. We each bring an appetizer or snack to share potluck style and then you buy beverages to raise money for the common areas.

We are in a remote area - only reached by boat or ferry. I have a grill, stovetop top , medium sized fridge and tiny freezer at my disposal. I am looking for a new idea and hoping you can help.

In the past I've done,

Deviled eggs
Mini chicken salad sandwiches ( and these are usually a huge hit - but want top do something new )
Pinwheel slices ( rollup with filling )
Grilled chicken wings

Make ahead is a plus - since I will be sharing space with my inlaws.

I can put serving container on ice - so something chilled is probably OK.

Thanks KareninMass

KittenCal

Re: Ideas for an outdoor cocktail party potluck

Post by KittenCal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi KareninMass!

firstly let me welcome you to Recipezazz! :D

Okay sooo, you have a grill and stovetop and you are looking for snack-type ideas only that you bake ahead and bring correct?
If you can eat, you can make it!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:33 pm

I've got a cookbook with a bunch of summer potluck-type recipes in it. Maybe something in there can work?
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipes/book/2371

I'm particularly fond of my #recipe3488 for stuff like this... If you leave the cucumbers whole they don't require refrigeration and take up almost no space, so all you have is a Tupperware of crab salad. I've put them together on many a picnic table. :)

JostLori

Post by JostLori » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Here are some great appetizer ideas from Coastal Living Magazine... I especially like the mini crab cakes that you can assemble at home and just lightly pan-fry on site, or the shrimp bruschetta that can be prepped at home and just assembled on site. I've made the smoked salmon & fingerling potato appy's before and they disappeared from the plate FAST! The Romas and Goat shown look really good, but have done it much more simply by just piping seasoned goat cheese into cherry tomatoes and garnishing with a piece of chive. And of course, anything looks and tastes better on a beautiful serving platter!

http://www.coastalliving.com/food/enter ... s/view-all

Have fun!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:18 pm

I have been eyeing this recipe Grandma's Meatballs.

If you have a crock pot, you could do the second step of oven baking in the crock pot and keep warm.. Who don't love meatballs?

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 pm

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Another one for the crockpot.
Oriental Chicken Wings Crock Pot

KareninMass

Post by KareninMass » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:24 am

Kittencal wrote:Hi KareninMass!

firstly let me welcome you to Recipezazz! :D

Okay sooo, you have a grill and stovetop and you are looking for snack-type ideas only that you bake ahead and bring correct?
hi Kittencal -

I can assemble there - which is usually easiest or bake ahead. I just have limited resources. Pretty much anything works unless I need oven time.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Karin, welcome to Recipezazz and our Potluck Forum. Recipezazz is a great place to meet friends both old and new as well as a great place to find new recipes. I love Potlucks and have been known to say "one can never have too many potluck recipes!"

Sharing some of my favourite make aheads that travel well and are crowd pleasers.

This is one of my favourite make and takes, Souvlaki on mini skewers. Simply marinate, place on mini skewers, package and place in your mini fridge or cooler. Come grilling time super easy - grill and serve. I often add onions, green pepper chunks and mini tomatoes. They are a real hit and always a big hit at a potluck party.

#recipe3301

Another make ahead that travels well and has people coming back for seconds is #recipe123 In summer I usually top with red pepper jelly instead of the cranberries.

Another make and take that always sees the bowl come home empty is
#recipe2222

Whatever you choose to make have fun in the planning. Enjoy your party! :)

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Karen what about taking a casserole
If you can eat, you can make it!