2014 - Mother's Day over at the Potluck Forum

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

2014 - Mother's Day over at the Potluck Forum

Post by Gerry » Tue May 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Mother's Day is a special time for family gatherings and mini family potlucks, here on the prairies Mothers Day weekend often also sees to the first barbecue of the season. I suspect we all have family favourite must makes but if you are like me, new recipes are added to the tried and true family favourites.

Looking forward to you sharing your recipes be it for an appetizer, a decadent brunch, a light lunch, a delicious main course or an elegant dessert.

I have yet to plan our family weekend recipes but givens for dessert are our favourite cheesecake (not posted) and the elegant light and lovely Austrian Strawberry Torte. The ripe lush strawberries we are seeing at the market this spring will be perfect for the strawberry torte!

#recipe2808

Be sure to drop by and share your favourites. Photos welcome! :)

Kchurchill5

Re: 2014 - Mother's Day over at the Potluck Forum

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue May 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Since, my family was small; we didn't have a big celebration.

But, I did try to make Mom a nice breakfast or take her some of her favorite muffins.
I don't haven't a pic; but, a crab eggs benedict was her favorite. Mimosa and a fresh bowl of fruit was her choice.

Second would be a seafood quiche; or even the classic quiche lorraine. But, she did like a little sweet treat as well.
Strawberry ricotta mini tarts were her favorite.

Flowers and a nice breakfast were always what I did for Mom. My ex ... he never remembered; but, I learned to live with that, :o :lol: :o. I just enjoyed my favily at home with me; or, spending the day fishing or waterskiing - that is what I did.
-------------------------------------------------

My friend always took a hot crab dip to a potluck for her families mothers day celebration; and, usually a tenderloin on the grill was the norm.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue May 06, 2014 11:00 pm

At our house Mother's Day is usually a Mother's Day 'weekend' with Sunday being the day we officially celebrate Mothers Day be it here, at daughters or as we have done on occasion a Sunday Brunch in the city. When we gather for the weekend it has me needing recipes for breakfasts, brunches and the special Mother's Day supper.

Love your suggestions Kim, but wasn't able to find your recipes. Eggs benedict, mimosa and a fresh fruit would make for a special breakfast – do you have the recipe posted for the mimosas?

Strawberry ricotta mini tarts sound great too – I think strawberries make for wonderful Mother's Day desserts and sweet treats. I have tagged Joni's #recipe10629 over at Billboard for Saturday's strawberry dessert. I would love to have the recipe for your Strawberry ricotta mini tarts.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:46 am

Just posted the Mimosa recipe.
2 cups champagne
1/2 cup good fresh pulp free oj
2 oz peach schnapps
frozen blueberries to garnish
Makes 4 drinks. Recipe should be up soon. This basic recipe has been around for years; but, really delicious for brunch.

Looking up the tart recipe, on my other computer.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:14 am

I just posted this too.

I used the Keebler mini graham cracker tart shells; but, you can always make your own. I have also used puff pasty mini tart shells too. As you can tell. I don't like to bake. One year, I did make the graham cracker tart shells by scratch. They turned out really good; but, I don't bake often, lol.

But, I just made a basic crust if you want to make your own. This is the recipe I usually use.
6 1/2 oz graham crackers 11-12 crackers
1/4 cup sugar, I use brown sugar usually
3 oz butter, salted
pinch of cinnamon
little water, to loosen up the crust if it seems too dry

Filling, I make my own ricotta; but, any good ricotta works. This is my recipe; just don't add any of the herbs or lemon in that recipe. http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/homemade-ricotta-2142

The filling is:
1 1/4 cups ricotta, 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
IF you really want something a bit sweeter; add a little honey (I don't like sweet, but, some do)

Strawberries, just toss with sugar and lemon juice

Fill the tart with the ricotta; and top with the strawberries. A sprig of mint is a great simple garnish.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed May 07, 2014 10:14 am

Your recipes sound awesome Kim! Yard sailing on the weekend had me find some lovley cocktail glasses - should I admit my first! Has me thinking to Mother's Day mimosas, saving the mini tarts for the next special ocasssion. Love adding new recipes to my recipe collection! :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed May 07, 2014 10:40 am

Working on my Mother's Day menu, planing on a family favouite for the main course, Orange Rosemary Roast Chicken with Vegetable Bundles for one of the sides.

#recipe2372

ImageImage

#recipe124

Be sure to stop by and add your Mother's Day recipes and photos! :)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:24 pm

Sounds pretty tasty to me.
Gerry, I got tied up; but, will post the ricotta tarts, have it have done, just need to check a few things first.

I love those bundles, they are always so pretty looking. I am making a mothers day basket for all 3 of the ladies I cook for. NOTHING hot; just some muffins, flavored butter; and a cocktail for them. Something they can enjoy Sun am.

Me, my son is coming over; but, he hates breakfast except for coffee. So he is bringing me coffee; and I made cinnamon rolls. I think he will enjoy them.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat May 10, 2014 11:25 am

Today sees to our annual town wide garage sales along with Mother's Day teas and bake sales. The ladies in this town are awesome bakers - have to be sure to check out the bake tables, some of the family still can enjoy the sweet offferings! :)