Easter 2020

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Easter 2020

Post by Gerry » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:10 pm

2020 has changed our lives, our cherished traditions, rituals and gatherings, Easter, Passover and Ramadan will be unlike any we have known. Never in all my years have I spent Easter alone. I will be alone but know I will be surrounded by love. I give thanks that we can call to stay in touch and able to video call with family and friends. This year Easter services as our church has been doing these past weeks will be streamed live and in turn an online video.

The reality is that major precautions must be taken by everyone and above all to take information from the health experts seriously and follow through. It will be three weeks since my last shop armed with a supply of disposable gloves, sanitizer wipes and Lysol spray taking precautions both while shopping and at home.

As a senior April 5th will see to three weeks of self isolation. I am not nor have I ever been bored with yet so much I want to do in this lifetime but I so miss my family. I have a hard time wrapping my head around much that has become part of our lives, never thought I would see the day when my door was not open to my family and friends or go out to shop for my needs.

For those needing to shop I am adding a link I wish I had seen before I made my last one three weeks back. While I did take great care there are hints that make getting supplies you have brought home or delivered so much easier and yes safer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKx-F4AKteE

I will be back to share in what for me will make this Easter in complete isolation a little easier to get through. We know by staying home we are protecting others but we also need to find a semblance of life as it was to get through these troubling days. We may not be able to gather but we can make the days easier by planning to prepare to do what we can each in our own small way.

QueenBea

Re: Easter 2020

Post by QueenBea » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:31 pm

Yes Gerry, this has changed our lives for sure. I am grateful for video chats at this time, if not for that I would be so lonely. I miss my family immensely but seeing them on Facetime does make it easier.
Hubby is retired and usually babysits our granddaughter while Mom (our daughter) works. But, I have just recently had to go back to work (bad timing) so I do not want to take the chance and bring the virus to her. Mom is now working from home and parenting at the same time. She said it is challenging but has made her realize how difficult it must of been in the "Old days" when Mom's were at home with a bunch of kids running around, lol.
It will be just me and my old fart for Easter dinner, lol, but we will be dropping off a secret package on our daughter's doorstep for our little princess and big princess from the bunny Easter morning....

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:56 pm

These times bring us full circle to the days when visiting family took days by horse back or wagon and was reserved for very special times. Maybe the world will be better off in some was for this , not the loss of life though, but for the time we now have to reflect on what is important. To teach each other compassion and patience .

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:23 pm

Come Thursday at our house usually saw family begin to travel in for our Easter gathering, always the planning and preparing along with potluck offerings making for enjoying meals with plenty of family time. This year unlike any we have known, today is day 25 of self isolation and I know while we are not able to gather I do know in each of our homes this year we will do the best we can. I am fortunate that Easter services will be streamed from Regina.

Yesterday was my daughters birthday and all I could do is leave her cake and card on my patio which has me know how I will miss my family this weekend. We are all in this together we have to stay apart so when this is over we will all be together. I needed to have a semblance of normal which saw me bake the two family favourite Easter desserts and place on the patio table for those living near by. Two givens Cherry Cheese Cake and Mexican Chocolate Cake.

#recipe30589

#recipe166
I usually top this with chopped pecans or pecan halves but either or it remains a favourite for well over forty years.

Good Friday has seen to stuffed baked salmon, this year it will be fillets.

#recipe28553

Served with #recipe2722

There will not be the traditional turkey with all the trimmings or the baked ham while still undecided I am thinking to

#recipe2303

Or #recipe3116

For those with family you may want to think to one of our favourites #recipe2372

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:51 pm

How fortunate we are in a time when we cannot gather to have the Easter Services streamed to our homes as well as video and calling available to stay in touch with our family and friends. I was so touched by yesterdays Good Friday service I decided I may have to stay in place but determined to not let this convid 19 take away all of our Easter traditions.

So begin the preparations as I did the hard boiled eggs the exception this year far less than in the past. As always when made in the pressure cooker perfect easy to peel eggs each and every time. I can vouch for that as I dropped the rack of eggs into the ice water cracking them all. Every single one. I did a rerun, having extra eggs I decided to do a pot of potatoes for the traditional potato salad one of the givens at Easter, which will be shared with families that are close enough to do a patio pick up. No surprise that an egg salad sandwich was on for my evening meal.

#recipe30462
(I have found I can do 12 or more eggs depending how many fit on the rack)

I am still not quite decided on my Easter Menu, I have been thinking to the ham I have in the freezer, again sharing with a patio pick up for those living close by. Our favourite for special occasions is our #recipe8741

Easter Saturday depending on how many would either be a brunch, or a waffle and pancake breakfast. When it comes to waffles we use my grandma B's recipe with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. With not doing a shop that will hopefully happen next year.

#recipe1973

When it comes to pancakes Galley - Wench's Waffles for Two is a hands down winner at our house, mixing up batches as needed. This morning scaled this down for one serving and enjoyed with Maple syrup.
#recipe2917

My Easter Sunday breakfast will be a recipe grandson added to our Easter traditions a few years back,
#recipe5197

While flour remains in short supply I did have a large container of flour on hand, a good thing seeing as I have only managed to get 2 little 5 pound bags this past month. A must make for either this afternoon or tomorrow is my all time old fashioned tasting #recipe127

I hope you are all managing to add a few of your traditions to this Easter of 2020. Most of us would normally be planning to celebrate the holiday together with our family and friends, at this time we have to take great care and follow through “as gatherings and religious celebrations or at least here will have to be "strictly limited to your existing household members only” Please take care and stay safe.