Welcome to Thanksgiving 2019

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Welcome to Thanksgiving 2019

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:30 pm

Several weeks ago I was surprised and thought it interesting to find that decades before the American Thanksgiving in 1578 English explorer Martin Frobisher held the first Thanksgiving celebration by a European in North America in Newfoundland more than 40 years before the American pilgrims. The day was finally formalized as a national holiday in 1879.

How wonderful that we in Canada and in the U.S.A. still gather to give thanks. The Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend is only a week away followed by the American holiday celebrated in November.

I am looking forward to family time and how better to enjoy that family time is to have the meal plans in place to do just that. What makes it even more fun is the extra potluck dishes added to the holiday table. One of the newer traditions at our house is I also add a new dish or two to the givens.

The weekend sees to one lot of meals which has me going through my recipes for the holidays. For the main meal I have both a duck and a turkey in the freezer for our Thanksgiving meal.

Roast duck is one that grandson does to perfection and we both enjoy, as for the rest of the family they seem to prefer the traditional turkey.
https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/roast ... auce-28789

Turkey, dressing and gravy are a given come Thanksgiving our favorite recipe for the dressing is from a church cookbook, a recipe shared by one of our local church catering group well known for their awesome dressing. People come from miles around for their turkey suppers.
https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/turke ... -bird-2055

For smaller gatherings one of my favouite recipes that always pleases is https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/orang ... icken-2372

What are you making?

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Re: Welcome to Thanksgiving 2019

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:19 pm

I'm not sure where we'll even be. I for one wish duck was more of a tradition here like it was in the early days. We may not know what we're doing till the last moments. If we stay here we will have a huge turkey. My sister likes to be in charge of that.
I was just thinking of making some breads for the freezer. Or something.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:55 pm

Well we are displaced and living in a hotel so no Thanksgiving dinner for us..... There had not been much cooking going on here. Our house is under repairs from a heavy snow load this past winter. The kitchen has the most damage so we have been staying at our summer camp all summer but now it is getting to cold so off too the hotel it is.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:04 am

QueenBea wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:55 pm
Well we are displaced and living in a hotel so no Thanksgiving dinner for us..... There had not been much cooking going on here. Our house is under repairs from a heavy snow load this past winter. The kitchen has the most damage so we have been staying at our summer camp all summer but now it is getting to cold so off too the hotel it is.
Sounds expensive Bea!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Not at all Lee, insurance covers it all 😁

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:37 am

So sorry to hear that Bea, we had a winter back in 2013 that saw to both lower and upper level damage, a nightmare of poor contractors taking a year and a half, later the lower level ceiling came down shortly before a family gathering. Having signed off redoing their mess was on my dime. That Thanksgiving was a no go too as they pulled down the kitchen ceiling in early summer and left me without lights til after Christmas! My last words were if ever I need to do this again I would put a time limit on the repairs and ... stay in a motel until they were done! Good to hear you have done just that. Hopefully you still have family close by and they will do the cooking, you can bring the wine!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:14 pm

I just now noted I missed your post whatamIgonnaeatnext, I happen to love duck but at this point gran and I are in the minority so it is an add on to my usual offerings. The duck is in the freezer, yesterday's morning flight from Toronto saw to an early start to our family Thanksgiving gathering. While we both love #recipe28789 he will be making a new to me recipe that was a hit with his friends, this one with Marsala wine. Sounds really good!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:45 am

This morning sees me going through my recipes to have then close at hand when preparing the holiday meals, having copies saves having to do a search or page through cookbooks. Sunday is the day we celebrate Thanksgiving which has me making a check list as well assuring all ingredients and recipes ready to go. My favorite baste was a great find from a small cookbook of savory recipes.
#recipe28359

On for our Saturday evening meal will be ham and scalloped potatoes (recipe not yet posted) come holiday time preparing and baking the ham in a tightly sealed foil package makes for delicious, moist and tender each and every time.
#recipe8741

Along with the ham another of our family favorites
#recipe2722

What are you making?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:27 am

The pumpkin has been baked, pureed and refrigerated for the pumpkin pies which will be baked early tomorrow morning. Once again the recipe from the vintage Blue Ribbon Cookbook dating back to the early 1900s, this simple old fashioned recipe goes way back to my grandma, my mom and one I have loved since childhood, it has also become the one still favored today.
#recipe30514

Along with the pumpkin pies the given for the holidays sees two Cherry Cheesecakes in the freezer.
#recipe30589

Come long weekend holiday meals, on hand are the makings for the family favourite salads.
This year requests are in for #recipe2201

And #recipe7456

Thanksgiving sees to a good many fall vegetable sides served with our meals, this thanksgiving featured will be many of my garden grown vegetables as well as fresh produce from the market.
#recipe28357

This Thanksgiving will see to topping the acorn squash with #recipe28333

I always add a new to us recipe to our holiday table, this year it is ForeverMama's #recipe16592 other than the sweet potato I will be using vegetables from my backyard garden, a selection of red, yellow white and purple potatoes, wonderfully sweet touchon carrots and garlic. It's a real winner for vegetable lovers.
#recipe16592

Buttered mashed turnips a must make for three of us at holiday time, another is brussel sprouts and of course mashed potatoes and gravy.

There will also be vegetarian pasta choices yet to be decided and will be potluck additions.

Going with light appetizers this year, the main must when it comes to appetizers is the vegetable tray. I was so pleased with the lovely cauliflower and broccoli available this week. Also featured will be the great tasting garden grown carrots as well my sweet cherry tomatoes. Will be making the awesome Knoor dip that everyone loves for the vegetable platter.
#recipe20938

For more Thanksgiving recipes do check out our 2018 holiday thread
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=13561

Be you hosting, adding a pot luck dish or making a special dinner for two, please share your favorite recipes.

What are you making?