September long weekend summer gatherings

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

September long weekend summer gatherings

Post by Gerry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Here we are at August end, how did that happpen! The September long weekend about to start and see to the gathering of family and friends. Many of us think to it as the last long weekend of summer, a perfect time for the last of the barbecues and summer activities. A little planning makes hosting all the easier.

One of the givens for our long weekend gatherings is potato salad. We have a family favorite but we also love variety. On for this weekend is one much like the one we love but a recent find that has me wondering however did we miss this one, dienia b's #recipe32621

And for the low carbers that love potato salad a great substitute that even the carb lovers enjoy Sue Law's #recipe8571

Seeing the long weekend always sees to the celebration of this Virgos birthday a search had me find a dessert I know we will love, DishItTrish's #recipe20874

I need to think to appetizers, mains, salads and side dishes, first I must see just what potluck dishes are coming my way. Hoping to see others share their favorite recipes they are planning to make.

Gerry

Re: September long weekend summer gatherings

Post by Gerry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:15 pm

Have some lovely rosy red apples in my backyard garden needing to be picked, a family favorite for one of the fall weekend desserts is #recipe122

Long weekend outdoor gatherings usually see to burgers for one of the meals, this one is one everyone enjoys served with all the fixings.
#recipe1094

Another favorite here for weekends is barbecued ribs, marinated and finished off with Sweet Baby Ray or Diana Sauce. #recipe7234

An assortment of freshly dug potatoes and carrots and assorted vegetables make for a great vegetable grill #recipe5955

With the lush and lovely vine ripened tomatoes a must make is #recipe20903

When we have ribs I like to serve Cole Slaw.
#recipe2722

What are you planning to make for this September long weekend?

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:48 pm

We are going to an 80th birthday celebration on Sunday after church for a gentleman that we know. There is going to be so much food there; I'm going to eat myself silly. I'm going to take some cornflake bars and #recipe22369.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:21 pm

TeresaS's #recipe22369

Thank you for sharing the recipe you are making this weekend whatamIgonnaeatnext, pork and beans are always a welcome addition to barbecues and potlucks. Every Teresa recipe I have made has been an absolute winner, I do not doubt you will come home with an empty bowl!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:34 pm

If the weekend weather sees to an outdoor barbecue, along with the lemonade Derf's lovely crisp and refreshing Sangria is one of our favourite offerings.

Derf's #recipe1109

If hosting a large group another offering that is a great make ahead, our Canadian Classic #recipe3030

dienia b

Post by dienia b » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:58 pm

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:30 pm

Thank you Dienia for stopping by and sharing. Bean Salads are always a hit at gatherings and potlucks. I love Banana Cream Pie, a good reminder that it's time I get to making one! I see it's a Hope Lodge recipe, have made a number of your Hope Lodge recipes over the years and they have all been keepers!

Dieniab's #recipe12394

Dieniab's recipe13157

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Our weekend gatherings see to appetizers, givens are vegetable platters and dips, as well as handheld appetizer offerings for the outdoor gazebo time. On for the weekend is Linda's Taco Scoops, so easy and one that makes for an empty platter. Linda's recipe also had me see to the many choices that these scoops offer, I keep a jar of salsa and such on hand for the unexpected times
Lindasbusykitchen's #recipe3254

This weekends veggie dips, Luvcooken's Creamy Horseradish Spread that makes for an awesome dip for the vegetable tray. For larger groups I use a much larger serving platter.

Luvcooken's #recipe5713

And one of our favorites that is great for the vegetable platter or served with an assortment of crackers. My #recipe20911

dienia b

Post by dienia b » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:35 pm

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:13 pm

dienia b's #recipe13752

I love to see recipes added dienia, always good to add new recipes for holiday appetizers.

Gleaning recipes had me find Bergy's Caprese Bites, Love Caprese appetizers, perfect timing for my vine ripened romas.

Bergy's #recipe1336